911 operators

Discussion in 'Firearms related News and Political topics' started by SgtSundevil, May 7, 2013.

1. SgtSundevil

SgtSundevil U. S. Military

so is it a cleveland thing or is it all 911 operators who just dont care.

A young womans voice calls 911 and says she has been kidnapped and has been that way for 10 yrs and has only gotten free and the police needs to hurry before he gets back. So what does the operator say, hold on and when a police officer clears up I will send one to your location. And then this girl has to beg to get an officer there faster. onoly after the girl begs does the operator attempt to get someone there faster than a routine call. you can not make this stuff up. Do ppl just not care anymore about their fellow man/woman. are they so hard in their heart they dont get the idea of someone in real danger and not have the cops dispatched to mcdonalds because someones chicken nuggets were cold.

I really would like to know what the cops were dispatched on in cleveland that was so much more important than someone who was in real danger.

2. skiles

skiles Club Subscribed

I'm not trying to make excuses for them, but some just become "numb". It's the crying wolf thing. I worked EMS for a while and it's amazing how few "emergencies" I actually went to. I'm sure in an extremely busy urban setting like that they've had 911 calls like that and 99% of time it's BS. Again, it should be treated as an emergency until proven otherwise but many people treat 911 like 411. End pseudo-jaded cynical rant.

3. Zbizzle911

Zbizzle911 Member

Yep it's the numbing effect. I can see myself getting that way at work. Mostly bc the majority of calls we run are bs. Shouldn't be that way, so I try my best to be concerned all the time

4. Daisy Duster

Daisy Duster Gun Control Supporter

I would guess that the dispatcher was one of years of experience and had received numerous calls from that area stating similar problems that resulted in wasted efforts by the police. Once the dispatcher caught on that the person was really in need of immediate help the person sped up the process and all was well as it should be.

5. BudE

BudE Registered Member

Doing the 911 job is difficult. The hours suck and so does the pay and so do some of the people that run those operations. That cuts down the applicant pool. Enough said.

6. James

James New Member

My wife works in 911 dispatch. There are dispatch protocalls they follow . Depending on the problem/emergency they can be sent immediately or held for quite some time. Something of this nature was probably not initially given immediate response since she was free and her captor not present.

7. joeface

joeface Lifetime Member

Heck; she's waited 10 years what's a few more minutes. (Sarcasm off) I had the same reaction as the OP when I heard it.

8. chiefjason

chiefjason Member

The idiots make the news. The good and great ones just do their job, do it well, and go home. No one pays much attention to an emergency call done right.

My mom just retired from dispatch. She stayed at the PD for 3 or 4 days straight during a kidnapping/standoff when I was a kid. She was the only person at the PD the guy would talk too. I can't begin to tell you how many hours she worked during the Zara Baker investigation. She had to pull and categorize all the phone and radio traffic that had anything to do with it. She's also got a few bonehead stories to tell about some of them too.

9. SgtSundevil

SgtSundevil U. S. Military

just heard on the news just now that the dispatcher is going to be recieving some type of punitive(write up) action for not keeping the caller on the line until the police actually arrive. I do think she should have kept her on the line to make sure that more speed wasnt needed by the officers should the suspect have returned home and created trouble for those in the area, i just want the dispatchers to do the bestjob they can and be concerned with all cases, i understand things like this are the few bad apples that make the whole system look bad. But i just thought the way the call was handled could have been handled much better.

10. jrgreen

jrgreen Member

You answered your own question. when so many of the calls to 911 are bogus, cold nuggets, how likely is "I was kidnapped 10 years ago and just got free" to be the truth? and how likely is it to be just another nut looking for attention?