A real tactical class questioner

Discussion in 'Firearms related News and Political topics' started by J.Boyette, Nov 26, 2011.

1. J.Boyette

J.Boyette Firearms Instructor
    Lifetime Member

How many of you would want to take a set of classes each set three days long and they covered all of these following topics and a lot more:
    • Land navigation
    • Individual and buddy team tactics
    • 3-4 person group tactics
    • 7-9 person group tactics
    • 28-36 person group tactics
    • Learn how to conduct a foot patrol

And a lot more basic infantry tactics. Now this course would be in the field for three days, under the stars learning day and night.

So would you want to do this in 2012?

2. MrSnow

MrSnow Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

I would be interested but not willing to travel more than 2 hrs away to go.

3. joeface

joeface Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Would definitely be interested if the cost was right.

4. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Member

Dependent on cost and progress in improving my personal fitness (more like fatness!) I would definitely be interested.

What would we use for weapon physreps? Airsoft?

5. J.Boyette

Lifetime Member

great question.

Cost its $600 for three days of training (fri, sat, sun) or (sat, sun, mon) type days of the week. Since this is a three part class I would do the first third 2 times a year, the second 3rd twice and the last 3rd once a year.

No weapons, we will provide red / blue guns no need for them at the learning part of the class. to much info to take in and deal with someone getting shot or a loss of a real / high dollar airsoft weapon. Once we get enough students done on level 3 the FoF would roll in to airsoft and live fire drills for alumni events only.

As far as cost goes, its cheap for 3 days, two nights, all meals and water provided and no extra travel to and from hotel or extra costs due to the staying out all night aspect of this training. Once you get on site you stay on site for the whole time and train, train, train.

Once I get the info up on the website you guys will like it if you see a need for real training like this.

John

6. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Member

Thanks for the info. The cost of electric airsoft has definitely come down to the point where they could be considered a consumable for something like this.

I used to help run/plot a mil-sim airsoft LARP (Live Action Role Play) loosely based on the Stargate universe called Contact back in the UK and we found that using magazines with realistic capacities and by having a weight "penalty" for each round of ammo carried (basically a load of 240rds required you to carry the same weight as that much 5.56, usually in the form of diving weights in extra mag pouches) we got some pretty rough lessons in the fun things about firefights. Things like 240rds -sounds- like a lot, but at 3am in the dark in a messy ambush you can piss it away in no time at all, even on semi-auto. Also grenades kill everyone, not just the people you wanted to kill (we used a small thunderflash in a paper-mache shell filled with 500 6mm airsoft BB's, very nasty indoors). I learned to ditch lasers and flashlights early on because all they seem to do is mark you as someone who really needs to get shot repeatedly. We had procedures for reacting to wounds (always scream and fall over, then depended on the location of the wound), treating wounded and handling/moving casualties and it was generally a lot of fun without just being "guys in the woods with toy guns". For instance I now know I am basically dead meat in any sort of actual firefight other than defending prepared positions.

Here's a link to Contact. Dean is a great guy and has a lot of experience running mil-sim airsoft combat. He is also almost totally blind and still got out into the field and made some good "kills".

http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk/CONTACT.htm

7. trcubed

trcubed Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Absolutely interested. Been looking for something like this on the civilian side for years.

Any idea when you'd start?

8. Dorton

Dorton Staff
    Club Subscribed

I think this would be a good idea. I don't think it would be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it would appeal to a pretty broad spectrum. Lots of good shooting schools around NC, but none that offer whats being discussed here that I know of.

I had a conversation with John earlier today, and he mentioned this. He has left some cool details that would add to his original post. One being the venue. A couple thousand acres of private property would be plenty big enough to either get lost, or exercise the skills being taught.

9. JGrigg86

JGrigg86 Shameless Glock Fanboy
    Club Subscribed

I'd love to take that kind of class if I could find the time and money for it.

10. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Member

We regularly had a whole day of two 20 or 30 man "units" hunting each other over a couple of hundred acres, about 30% urban (the former Greenham Common cruise missile base near Reading, we had the run of the ghost town the air force guys used to live in). You could go all day without contacting the enemy and lose contact very easily, especially in town.

11. kennyb313

kennyb313 Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

sounds great but $600 is alot of cash

12. K.Lee

K.Lee Sponsor

3 full days of a lot of training and well worth the $600

13. Dorton

Dorton Staff
    Club Subscribed

It is, but its a lot of value. This is going to be closer to a 60-70 hour class. Thats <$10/hr, and no ammo, food, or room and board to factor in.

14. ARS94

ARS94 Registered Member

I would love to take a class like this but it's going to be a while before I'd be able to scrounge up the money. That and having 3 young children doesn't give me much spare time.

15. 9mm_Lvr

9mm_Lvr Hall of Shame

I would do this except, I'd want facilities and to sleep inside. I'm not opposed to camping, but most civilians aren't built for 48-72 grueling hours.

While it needs to be taken seriously, I'd still consider a sort of vacation, so I'd like some rest.

Also, I don't like trudging through woods without a firearm but I understand the concern of X number of people in the woods with guns.

16. chuckman

chuckman Member

While I wouldn't mind polishing up on land nav, the last time I did this I was payed to do it. Not sure I would pay to do it.

17. J.Boyette

Lifetime Member

All of you bring up great points.

9mm_Lvr, trust me sir, this class will not be for you at all then. We will be walking any distance from 3 to 9 miles in 3 days, staying out for every single second rain, snow, sun.

Thanks for the feedback posters, I went half cocked on this post. Let me post the first two 3 day classes right now so you can see what I am talking about. Keep in mind there are drafts, so you all can see the detail I am talking about.

Block 1 of training
    Ok, here is block 2 of 3 days.
    I hope the clear's the air.

18. Snakum

Snakum Registered Member

Hmmm ... that all sounds vaguely familiar. I have a Benning 'Blue Book' around here somewhere.

See your local recruiter and you can do this and GET PAID! Just tell him you want 11X, that you want four years of it, and that you'd like to leave tonight. :biggrin:

19. dirtydirtysouf

dirtydirtysouf New Member

these would be the ones id love to learn

20. J.Boyette

Lifetime Member

spot on the money.

Lets face it, less then 5% of adults served in the military. Of that 5% less then 2% are combat arms.

So that is 98% of grown adults that have zero, to no tactical training that works.

most if not all of you at some point think about when the sh!t hits the fan, reading tactics, and looking over charts is not the same as doing it in the woods.

If you guys think this is for you, then when this class goes live sign up. If you think your physical condition will prevent you from coming, over weight, no cardio stamina right now. Well you got a goal, get to that point an come on out.

If that is you, and you see a need for this class, god help you if what you fear happens between now and when you are "ready"

John