Administration is shutting down the last lead smelting plant in the US

Discussion in 'Firearms related News and Political topics' started by -06, Oct 30, 2013.

1. -06

-06 Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Staff Member Staff Member

nothing to see here subj..er...citizens, move along

3. 11B3XCIB

11B3XCIB Club Subscribed

The LAST one, or the largest one?

4. shadowsbane

shadowsbane En Mermoriam.

THis is a repeat. Other thread mentions tin hats. in the title.

It is the last primary lead smelter, and as I mentioned earlier, the company has had a litany of issues of contaminating the neighboring town with rather large quantities of lead.

5. Scari

Scari Club Subscribed

I guess everyone missed the point under the new guidelines no one can smelt lead in quantity without breaking every rule in it. Hence this will more than likely end ammo as we know it and drive prices beyond what normal people can buy in anything other than small quantities at a time. The secondary smelters will never meet any order demands we'll end up going to copper and/or ceramics both of which are costly. This smelter may very well be contaminating a nearby town but perhaps if the EPA had enforced laws already in place this wouldn't have happened, where have we heard that before "laws already in place"? It is what it is and we'll have to make do but one has to wonder how many times does things like this happen before everyone opens their eyes?

6. edhaus

edhaus Not Subscribed

That seems like it could be right on target. Economy fragile, healthcare a shambles, a shortage in civilian firepower possibly about to become severe; is this a perfect storm?

7. shadowsbane

They did enforce the laws in place and the company has had to pay out 100 million plus in fines/restitution, AND upgrade their plant to stop it from happening again. Company decided to not do that, plain and simple.

Once again I don't exactly think this is a great thing, but were it your family getting poisoned by lead fumes/dust from a factory, I don't think many of you would think twice about trying to force them to clean up their act, even if the company was threatening closure and jobs, sourcing your bullets would come as a distant second.

I mean I live 7-10 miles from the nuclear power plant, if there starts being elevated levels of radiation in my yard because of them I ain't going to care one wit if that means the local hospital doesn't have power while they fix it.

And you can totally still smelt lead in the US. You just have to do it so that you are not filling the local area with lead dust.

I would also bet at least a partial reason why they were the last one is the simple fact that there is a much smaller pool of people who want to dick around with vast quantities of poisonous fumes all day long. With or without the proper safety gear.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  8. Hybrid Moments Pass

Hybrid Moments Pass Member

no Shadows....its OBAMAs fault, duh!

9. shadowsbane

Now....were this a coal mine, the conversation would be a wee bit different.

10. BudE

BudE Registered Member

I think Scai has it right. This is the end of ammunition as we know it. I wish I'd bought stock in the company that makes bismuth. The price of ammo will soon soar. It may still be around but it will be expensive as hell.

11. J.Boyette

J.Boyette Firearms Instructor

Guys,

What happened to the other lead factories?

Sorry most stuff is imported now anyhow. This single factory did not make the lead for every single bullet you ever shot.

Does it hurt? Yes on many fronts but the factory was not in the best postion to begin with. The POTUS does not have power over all.

He is a scum bag anyhow.

John

12. Butter

Butter Staff Spark Thrower

Blame Bush, the EPA first went after this plant in 2008

13. BurnedOutGeek

BurnedOutGeek SlayerNut - RIP Staff Member

Go to the source. Blame Nixon

14. toddje

toddje Staff

Yep. Well, blame everyone back to and including Nixon. Like Unions, the EPA had a role when it started. And like unions, it's now WAY too big for its britches.

15. Hamman

Hamman Club Subscribed

Thank you, Voice of reason.

I still feel a bit like chicken little. The panic has subsided some.

16. edhaus

edhaus Not Subscribed

Panic subsided. Hardly. Can you even get .22LR with any regularity and how much must you pay for it. Some are just getting used to the new normal which still leaves me in a panic.

17. Hybrid Moments Pass

Hybrid Moments Pass Member

this is true that its super hard to get 22lr, but where does the problem lie?
    it lies with gun enthusiasts, or, well, "enthusiasts"
    those who are buying it up and marking up the price
    I saw quite a bit of 22 at the gun show last weekend...for really high prices.
    like 223 and everything else - it'll come back and back down.

john boyette - great post brother

18. ikarus1

ikarus1 Member

just another reason to become a reloader. Lots of wheel weights still out there, and Barnes has proven that solid copper is the future of projectiles.

19. J.Boyette

See,

Ammunition is manufactured in batches. So the American Manufactures are still kicking out centerfire.

Most rimfire are imports. Remember this gem? http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2013...r-announces-two-new-executive-actions-reduce-

So that was in the works since Feb. You guys need to know most of the imported ammunition was stopped at the ports. So since customs is part of the executive branch http://www.whitehouse.gov/our-government/executive-branch

They are controlling what and how much comes in, and when.

John

20. J.Boyette

BTW,

With all the crap going on, you do not think a memo was send down the ivory tower in Feb 2013 and told the worker bees to delay XYZ conex's from getting out of the ports or delay the crap out of it?

Its happening and its happening all the time.