Amex closing - Greensboro

Discussion in 'Firearms related News and Political topics' started by Red Cent, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Red Cent

Red Cent Vendor
    Vendor

McLeansville, NC by way of WV SASS #29170L
    Amex is closing its call center in Greensboro. Reportedly 1900 employees are involved.

2. MD

MD Registered Member

Sounds like another Call Center's jobs being shipped over to India.

I swear I have never witnessed a country that worked so hard against it's citizens in encouraging jobs leaving the country.

Regards,

MD

3. beesouth

beesouth Registered Member

Maybe they can get a job at Allstate....I called their call center three times Tuesday and got the same guy every time....He could not speak a lick of English...

4. Wahoo95

Wahoo95 Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

Capitalism at its finest....

5. pingman274

pingman274 Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

It is really sad for the people here in GSO, but a few friends there don't really say anything about India. They already have two larger centers in Ft. Lauderdale and Phoenix, and according to one there were already 1/3 of the seats in GSO not filled. The call volume for AMEX has dropped tremendously due to expanded use by customers of the web.

One specific IT guy has been with them more than 20 years. He was offerred a chance to move to FL, work from home virtually or take 1 year pay in severance. He is thinking about moving, so NC still loses. Of course your average CS person is not going to be able to move on their own to AZ or FL, so they will have to take a severance depending on their years of service.

6. Shellshock1918

Shellshock1918 Registered Member

I wouldn't call it capitalism when the government writes regulation after regulation, after regulation, after regulation, after regulation to overburden business and make shipping jobs over seas more fiscally sound that keeping jobs at home.

7. mekender

mekender Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

8. tilefish

tilefish Dog Defender
    Club Subscribed

Allstate has way too many people at that call center, trust me...

9. MD

MD Registered Member

That's kind of what I'm talking about. For years the government has heaped on the regulations, and at times practically offered added incintives if the companies did offshore the jobs.

And both Democrat and Republican administrations have participated in it, to some degree.

Regards,

MD

10. 613jmm

613jmm U. S. Military
    Club Subscribed

This is also the information I caught on the news yesterday. The jobs aren't being sent overseas, they are being redistributed to some of the other semi-local places because the call volume has dropped so much with so many more people using the net services instead of calling in. Not to mention, I bet a lot of people have wised up and have closed a lot of their credit card accounts the past few years.

11. Mike McBride

Mike McBride Registered Member

I know I have...Trying to send every extra dime to get my stuff paid off...Getting close:>)

12. Frmr0317

Frmr0317 ADMIN
    Staff Member

As opposed to?

13. Phantom Crab

Phantom Crab New Member

And the Demands of the American worker have nothing to do with it? Americans are some of the most compensated workers in the world, the problem is they always want more for less. A classic example of the is the automotive industry.

If you have to pay a guy $ 25/hr to produce something and the cost to purchase it is $ 200 in the US, if you can outsource it, get the same quality, that worker might be paid $ 10/hr and your cost is $ 95.

For a bunch of people that preach freedom and liberty and capitalism why is it you get bent out of shape when this happens. It is simple economics that drives these decissions (and yes profits are part of the economy).

Something people have neglected to see is that our economy has gone from an industrial one to a service based one as well.