Bulk ammo buy

Discussion in 'Firearms related News and Political topics' started by tilefish, Mar 13, 2012.

1. tilefish

tilefish Dog Defender

Have any of you guys considered trying to put together a bulk buy of 5k or more rounds? I cannot even find many places that sell quantities over 1k or if it would even be worth it.

2. knifeman32

knifeman32 Sponsor

I just recently made an order of well over 5k rounds. I had to piece together my order from different websites. I ended up going with sgammo and wideners. When ordering from wideners, its cheaper to place separate orders because of shipping surcharges. With SGammo, its actually cheaper on shipping when you order more.

3. jerz_subbie

jerz_subbie Member

Unfortunately 5k isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. I know of guys who have ordered 10k of the same ammo and barely got any discount, mainly savings on shipping (freight vs UPS ground).

I wouldn't expect any discount if you're ordering 1k of this, 1k of that, 2k of this, etc.

4. tilefish

tilefish Dog Defender

Yeah, I figured as much. Oh well. What do you have to buy? An entire pallet? Might as well just start reloading.

5. Off-the-hip

Off-the-hip Army Veteran

Think the mind set is they know they can get top price for ammo now and will sell it if you don't buy it from them. But you still save buying in bulk.

6. jerz_subbie

jerz_subbie Member

In these times, I think what off-the-hip said is very true unless you find an ammo dealer with exceptionally poor marketing skills who is sitting on a couple dozen pallets.

I just found an old thread on arfom regarding bulk buys. One guy bought a pallet of .308 32k rds, more than would fit in an entire F250 bed; Another got 21k rounds 5.56 and got 10% off. A pallet of 5.56 is 80k rds at about 3500lbs. All of the guys who have done huge buys like this said you have to have access to a loading dock or at the very least have it delivered to a business because residential shipping rates are much higher.

7. Ncreptile

Ncreptile Guest

I purchased 21k of 7.62x39 and it fit in a mustang..
    Just an interesting fact for all :)

8. beesouth

beesouth Registered Member

A fellow on CSF tried to do a group buy about two years ago, it languished for several months, everybody lost interest, and I think he wound up buying the whole order....I'm sure he got his money out of it, but the deal wasn't much better than street price....

9. Lawmaker

Lawmaker Member

I would consider running one if the deal was good. So what deals have you found?

10. Off-the-hip

Off-the-hip Army Veteran

I think ammo deal days are over for awhile.....Noticed a change just over the last six months myself.....

11. Off-the-hip

Off-the-hip Army Veteran

12. Fatebringer

Fatebringer Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  13. Lawmaker

Lawmaker Member

200 shipping fee. Came out to .34 per round. Not the greatest. Would be painful to part out also.

14. NCshooter26

NCshooter26 Staff Member Staff Member

I once discussed trying to do a big group buy on some 7.62x39 with Scott at DPH Arms to try and get a discount. After talking to the importers, Scott said the only way to get a significant discount was by buying multiple pallets, in quantities of 100K rounds or more.

15. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Staff Member Staff Member

we've had a couple of discussions with a couple of folks. Its doable, but only at Pallet level quantities. I'm not going to announce anything until its done, though. See, I can actually learn new things, lol.

16. Zbizzle911

Zbizzle911 Member

17. Lawmaker

Lawmaker Member

Well like I said I would finance one and part it out. If it is a good deal and not 12500 loose.

18. Off-the-hip

Off-the-hip Army Veteran

Who said anything about parting out, nothing like a barrel of fun :tgm