Cannon "Challenger"gun safe at Tractor supply?

Discussion in 'Firearms related News and Political topics' started by snal, Oct 21, 2012.

1. snal

snal Staff

2. Phantom

Phantom Member

I have one that I bought several years ago. It lays out nice and has worked well for me. I would recommend one, can't beat it for the price.

3. chickenfarmer

chickenfarmer New Member

Yes I have one only mine has the electronic lock. This was my first safe and i am very happy with it. Ive owned it for about 3-4 years and aside from one of the shelves breaking I haven't had any issues. Sur their are nicer safes out there, but not for that price

4. Brian Norris

Brian Norris Lifetime Member

A friend of mine bought one last year. It was the big wide one that's 999.99 now. I think they mark em down to 699 on Black Friday. Or they did last year anyway. It's an ok safe. Not as heavy as I'd like. His huge one only weighed about 600lbs

5. jp8819

jp8819 Club Subscribed

Not a bad safe for the money. Like said above they usually put them on sale or other safes on sale on black friday and will give you a rain check if they are not in stock that day.

6. snal

snal Staff

Trying to decide between the Cannon and the Field and Stream at Dick's for $549. I currently have a F&S and am happy with it. The F&S is also the same size as my current safe, which would satisfy the fact that I'm anal about such things. The Cannon is 5" taller and 3" more shallow front to back...which would be ok as I plan to use it primarily for handguns.

7. moundman

moundman Not Subscribed

Im waiting on the list for mine. I got a rain check for the labor day sale and they said I would receive it on the 24th of Sept. obviously that didnt happen. I went back down yesterday and they said they are back ordered with about 1000 of them yet. They said it might be 6 months before I get it. Good luck trying to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. bashman

bashman Lifetime Member

Don't have one, but will definitely be looking into getting one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. diablos30

diablos30 Club Subscribed

go drake;toast

10. Lawmaker

Lawmaker Member

Lowes hardware has the Fatboy Jrs.

11. skiles

skiles Club Subscribed

I have been doing a lot of research on this subject lately as I'm getting ready to take the plunge. My response is you get what you pay for. IMHO, I would classify this as more of a gun cabinet than a safe. But it is a good price. I wouldn't trust it with my Rugers!

12. 613jmm

613jmm U. S. Military

I don't have that particular safe, but it looks like they skimped on the thickness (notice it isn't stated what gage it is) to bring the price down. I have a Winchester which is similar in size, 22x30x59, and it weighs almost 200 pounds more. Also, mine is a claimed to be a 24 gun safe, which it certainly is not. I know none of them really hold the stated capacity, but if mine isn't, I think calling that one you are a looking one is really a stretch.

The similar size Winchester is about $200 more, but if I were to buy another one in that price range, I would go with the Winchester based on my experience with my current one. And even though it costs more, the locking system (more pins) is much beefier. I can also vouch for these electronic locks. I bought mine in 2004 or 2005 and I have never had a problem with mine. I was nervous going electronic, but I am not worried about it now.

13. snal

snal Staff

I looked at the Winchester of the same capacity while I was at TS...with the door latched there was at least 3/8" play in the door...they were all that way (5 of them). The cannons on display had no play.

14. Chdamn

Chdamn Staff Staff Member

Snal. Check out patriot safes I line while you're at it. I have never found a better safe for the money than those.

And they are drop shipped to your door. The delivery guy will generally help you get it in place if you spot him a 20.

15. 613jmm

613jmm U. S. Military

Do you mean forward and back play? Like opening/closing play? I don't see how that indicates anything quality wise. If you mean overall play in the whole door, I find that hard to believe, as I am sure the doors weigh in excess of 100 lbs alone. It would seem someone would have to put a hell of some muscle into getting them to display that kind of play, and again, I'm not sure that would be indicative of anything.

16. snal

snal Staff

This was play in and out when the door was locked. Like I said, the Cannons had no play, and my Field and Stream doesn't either. I even asked the guy there if there was some sort of gasket that hadn't been installed...there wasn't. With that kind of play I don't see how they could have any sort of fire rating.

17. 613jmm

613jmm U. S. Military

There is a seal around the perimeter of the door opening. When it heats up above a certain temperature, the seal swells and creates the fire rating, along with the gypsum board that lines the inside of the safe. All these types of safes are the same in that respect.

18. Zbizzle911

Zbizzle911 Member

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

19. WNC Seabee

WNC Seabee Lifetime Member

I think Ruger is running a "buy 15 SR9's" and get a free safe coupon, so you should be looking for that.

I love my Liberty from Lowe's...$749 and I can cram 20 pistols and 15 longs guns in it without trouble. Unless my house is flooding, then it doesn't do a damn bit of good.

20. snal

snal Staff

Did it get wet inside during the flood?