Gaston County Police Rifle Range

Discussion in 'Shooting Ranges' started by DrDover, Jul 28, 2012.

1. DrDover

DrDover Lifetime Member

showed up there this morning to be greeted by a jerk that screamed THE RANGE IS CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE and that it has been posted for2 months................. Just thought I would share. This was a great range that was extremely safety oriented with good guys running it......

2. Cigarhead

Cigarhead Member

Someone told me it was closed months ago.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

3. Meckmeister

Meckmeister Club Subscribed

Matt, you are talking about the range where they did skeet shooting, right? I thought that was a separate area from the police range.

4. DrDover

DrDover Lifetime Member

Its only been closed for a month. I was shooting there a month ago and there was nothing posted and the range officers all conversated with me and nothing was mentioned about a possible closing. Even the Police web site still had it listed as open.

5. DrDover

DrDover Lifetime Member

I am talking about the rifle range behind that skeet & trap range. It is separate and was only open for 3-4 hours on saturday's to the public.

6. Matt.Cross

Matt.Cross New Member

The rumor is that it has been in use 7 days a week in training & preparing for the DNC and will reopen to the public following. That is not concrete, that is just my understanding, and it could be 100% incorrect, so take it for what it is worth.

7. ssalt8050

ssalt8050 Registered Member

8. Meckmeister

Meckmeister Club Subscribed

9. shootingmonkey

shootingmonkey New Member

I go by it everyday to work, and they still have the closed sign up. They said that it would reopen on Sept. 4th, it is now the 20th.

You can hear the shotguns at the skeet range, and hear the police going crazy doing rapidfire training day and night. You can also hear some rifles during the evening as well. I guess the police bullets are safer than the publics which is while it is still closed.

10. Bailey Boat

Bailey Boat Club Subscribed

I suppose the police are so highly trained that they are MUCH safer than the general public.... We must be soooo stupid.....

11. DrDover

DrDover Lifetime Member

Well it definitely did not open to the public on the 20th..... I am betting that this one is a done deal and the skeet/trap will close soon there after......

12. shootingmonkey

shootingmonkey New Member

I'm thinking this was done in response to the public outcry to the proposed bomb range/ training facility they wanted to put out near Payseur mountain in Gaston County. The residents came out to the meetings and it was shut down from my understanding.

My thoughts are that the NRA examination of the range was valid, but they(police department) are using it as a cover to permanently take over the range, not that they haven't already. The pistol range is completly closed to the public, and until this the rifle rane was only open Saturday from 1pm to 6pm.

I don't have a problem with having well trained officers, but there has to be some kind of shared use of the place. I pay for it with my tax money, as it falls under the parks and recreation department. I should be allowed to use it even if it is on a limited schedule.

I think I will contact the NRA and see if I can find out their findings, AND then start calling and aggrivating the parks and rec. department . Anyone else that lives in Gaston County or uses the range should do the same. Maybe they think we will just go away if they put up a temporary sign.

Just a thought.

13. mmaattppllaayy

mmaattppllaayy Hall of Shame

I think we should get some sort of petition together for the Rankin Lake rifle Range to open back to the public. I mean where can anyone sight in hunting rifles around gastonia anymore? Anyone want to try and set up the petition?

14. woodsoup

woodsoup Lifetime Member

Just sent this...

As a tax payer in Gastonia, I'd like to know the real story on the rifle/pistol range. The NRA has done its consultation. What did they recommend? What do we, the using public, have to do to get the range re-opened for public use? Show up at council meetings until we get answers? Surly the LEO community can't be using the facility 7 days a week. It was safe enough for a recent sniper match, why not for us target/sport shooters?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  15. mmaattppllaayy

Who did you send it to?

16. mmaattppllaayy

I also received this response from the Captain of the Gastonia City Police (the people that run the range)

Good Evening Mr. Turney,
    I can certainly share that information. It was very positive as we expected it to be. The NRA was basically asked to evaluate the overall construction of the range. It was built according to the NRA standards back in the day and all improvements have followed likewise. It was actually a suggestion of expanding public use that generated the evaluation and we never intended to close it. Our expansion proposal generated questions that we could not answer so we requested an evaluation by the range experts. Public use was suspended pending this process. We did not anticipate it taking so long but they are very busy. They are the only group I found in the nation that offers this type service. I believe it is the intention of everyone to reopen it if it can be done safely. We have revamped our policies and procedures with regard to public use and I believe our presentation and plan will be well received. I know it is discouraging especially with hunting season approaching. Please do not assume it will not reopen or that this is the intention. Everyone is working very hard to make this happen but safety is the number one concern of everyone involved. I will be at work tomorrow and feel free to contact me by email or on my cell below if you have additional questions.
    Best Regards,
    Steve

17. HTP

HTP Member

Two weekends ago the son of a friend was shooting at that range with his ROTC group as part of some competition. He was shooing rifle when a .45 caliber pistol slug struck his shoulder. It was flattened and did not penetrate even his shirt. He said it hurt like someone punch him. He was lucky.

He said police officers in SWAT-like garb were shooting pistols nearby on another part of the range. It appears they certainly have some baffle and range segregation issues, along with ricochet hazards.

18. mmaattppllaayy

Always was safe when I went there. In fact when the rifle range was open to the public (Saturdays 1-6pm) the pistol range was closed. They do that on purpose for that reason. That situation is one in million though. That bullet had to go at least 20 feet up in the air to get over the dirt brim that seperates the two ranges. No way to really prevent weird ricochets like that unless theres like a 50ft tall wall in between.

19. woodsoup

woodsoup Lifetime Member

Eventually to the PD. I got pretty much the same response, the names were changed to protect the guilty tho.

20. Matt.Cross

Matt.Cross New Member

That's strange, a gentleman at work today told me the range had been reopened. Maybe he was just referring to the skeet range.