Got bit by a rottweiler

Discussion in 'Firearms related News and Political topics' started by cwtitan, Mar 7, 2010.

1. cwtitan

cwtitan Hall of Shame

Was at a good friends house yesterday over in Archdale. We were out by the garage area where he has a monster Rottweiler. I have been very close to this dog several times. He usually plays and lets me pet on him. Not today. He decided to latch onto my left wrist and start shaking his head!!! I was shocked to say the least. I escaped with no injuries but a bitten up Philadelphia Eagles Hooded sweatshirt and a cool story. I think the dog bit on my casio G-shock and that possibly saved me a trip to get stitches. LOL...The dog weighs in at 140 lbs or so. It was a tense moment to say the least.

2. NCXD40

NCXD40 Registered Member

I've beena around plenty of nice Rotty's, Pit Bulls (the ugly ass things), Doberman's etc. Howeve, I don't know if I could own on. Too many stories of "good" dogs doing bad things. Then the people claim they "can't believe their beloved dog did such a horrible thing", "it never showed such behavior before", "it must have been provoked" etc. etc.

3. Phantom Crab

Phantom Crab New Member

Little kids should never be around those dog's. :lol:

On a serious note I have a German Shepard, Rotty mix and have noticed interesting tendencys. It is deffinitly worth keeping an eye on. Glad to hear you had no serious injurys. Dogs like any other animal or human for that matter have good days and bad days.

4. cwtitan

cwtitan Hall of Shame

They did say that it never did that before and I believe it. All other times I have been around him he has been a sweet dog. Not yesterday though. I am gonna keep my distance from now on.

5. model49

model49 Registered Member

Years ago I was working for a contractor who was doing some wiring at a guy's house. He had 2 big Rotties and they were very good dogs. We were there for several weeks and got to know the dogs well.

However, there was one place in his garage that we could go and those dogs got really pissed. Other than that they were "our buddies". We finally figured out that we were getting in between the dogs and their food. This guy kept a pallet of dry dog food in bags in a corner and fed those dogs right there. As long as we didn't get between them and the food we were OK.

Got to watch stuff like that around big dogs.

m49

6. ChadC

ChadC New Member

Usually food aggression means they've been somewhat starved in the past or not been fed, so they get very protective over their food.

Food aggression isn't good, a good dog that has been treated well should not be aggressive over their food.

I suspect when people have problems with dogs its because of how the dog was raised, not always just the breed. I'v seen some mean dogs that were not rottweiler, pit bull etc.

7. rantingredneck

rantingredneck Staff - Purveyor of Kydex Staff Member

I got bit by my mother's 160lb. great dane years ago. I think I was around 19 at the time. Came out of the shrubbery and latched knocked me to the ground. Happened so fast it was like a damn shark attack. I put my left arm up to protect my face and it latched on and shook. One fang went about 1.5" into my forearm and I still have a scar from that one. The good thing was that the dog's head was so big that my arm went in mostly behind his fangs. I knocked him out and was about ready to pull out my pocket knife and put him down right there. That dog was psycho. But then again he belonged to my mother so........

8. cwtitan

cwtitan Hall of Shame

It was strange. My friend (owner) was petting him also. He was standing behind the dog. Only thing we could figure is that the dog thought I was getting too close to his master and latched onto my arm. ??? I don't know either way no harm no foul. I won't be petting that dog again anytime soon.

9. Mr. Warren Peace

Mr. Warren Peace U. S. Military

glad to hear you are okay. i don't trust any dogs, big or small. your friend is lucky you didn't defend yourself or worse, put the dog down. chalk it up to a lesson learned.

10. ChadC

ChadC New Member

Technically any dog that bites a human has to be put into rabies quarantine.

11. Keltyke

Keltyke Registered Member

Before we get too far into "bully" breed and large dog bashing, I'm going to say some of the most vicious dogs I've seen were Pomeranians and Chihuahuas. No, I repeat, NO dog is born mean or with the propensity to bite. They may be trained that way or abused and neglected until they turn.

ANY dog can, and will, bite under the right circumstances. Caution is ALWAYS advised with someone else's animal and I'd NEVER leave a small child alone with ANY dog. For example, a small child (who shouldn't be) at a local dog park begins running - waving and screaming. Immediately, several dogs respond to the "chase prey" instinct and began running after the child. Vicious dogs? Nope, neglectful parents.

I have another example - a 45 pound pit/Sharpei cross that I can take food right out of his mouth and has never show nany aggression, either to other dogs or to humans. I've trained this dog from 8 weeks to be gentle and loving by treating him the same way.

Something the OP did set the rotty off. A careful examination will find out what.

I'm glad you weren't injured.

12. dirtydirtysouf

dirtydirtysouf New Member

thats protection aggression, it means the dog was protecting "his" property, which means the owner of that dog is "lower" in the pack then the dog is

13. Dipper

Dipper New Member

Not true.... something MANY people do not realize is that some dogs are "HARD WIRED" to be aggressive.... it is how they are made up, it is their personality from birth. I have watched LITTERS of Rottweiler puppies growl and fight over their food at 7 and 8 weeks old... I mean REALLY fight... it is a dominance issue..... the dominate alpha dog eats the best parts first... it's the way it is and the way it is in nature... watch wolves eat at a kill.
    I have owned Rottweilers for about 40 years.... NEVER had one that would let a stranger around its food supply... and I feed my dogs very well.

Again, see above, depends on the dog....

While environment plays a role in a dogs temperament, genetic make-up plays a larger role in the temperament of a dog and what he will grow up to be.

14. Zero

Zero Registered Member

So do you.

15. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye New Member

Could it have been because of that "Feral Cat" aftershave?

Glad you have all your digits and can relate a happy ending story!

16. Dipper

Dipper New Member

I bet you were petting him on the head too.
    Bad set up... the dog between his master and a friend and friend petting him on the head.
    Some dogs HATE to be petted on the head or HUGGED around the neck...
    Certain behaviors "trigger" responses in dogs....
    You were just warned..... it was not a full blown attack.... could have been MUCH worse.

17. Paracord Joes

Paracord Joes Club Subscribed

But it's done it now....I have no tolerance for dogs that do things like that. Once they do that, there is no turning back they are always now a risk.

18. Hamman

Hamman Club Subscribed

A former girlfreind had a teacup chihuahua, the little rascal fit right in your hand. One night we sleeping in bed when i awoke to a strange sound, at about the moment that i realized it was the little rascal growling he chomped down on my big toe, hurt like hell and drew blood. I never liked that little bastard.

19. Paracord Joes

Paracord Joes Club Subscribed

Sorry, that right there is just funny as hell.....

20. chief

chief Hall of Shame

it's still alive?