Homeowners insurance- got dropped. Who do you use?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Slacker, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Slacker

Slacker U. S. Military

My wife had a few trinkets stolen from her car while it was parked in the driveway a few weeks ago.
    So did about 20 other folks in nearby neighborhoods. We called homeowners to check on the deductable. It was too high, so we made no claim.

Fast forward two weeks, get a notice that we're being dropped.
    They recommended a company out of London (Lloyds?) that requires up front payment.

That's a no go. We are not high risk.

Need another outfit. Need firearms and jelwery riders that are reasonable.
    Who do you use?

2. Chdamn

Chdamn Staff Staff Member

If you are a vet call USAA.

What probably happened is, although they are not supposed to, some insurance companies count a phone call to check on making a claim as a claim.

And in the HOI world......1 claim makes you untouchable to most other companies.

However, since there was no actual claim made you should be able to get insurance again fairly easily.

3. Zbizzle911

Zbizzle911 Member

Alstate has been great to us. Have car home and gun rider. With them.

4. Wahoo95

Wahoo95 Club Subscribed

Try Allstate

If that doesn't work try any of the many independent agents around town which would exclude the typical captives like State Farm, Allstate, Nationwide, USAA, Farmers.
    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  5. Luke Cage

Luke Cage Hall of Shame

I use USAA, never had any issue with them. I use to have state farm but got a better rate with USAA when I combined it with my car insurance and rental property.

6. BurnedOutGeek

BurnedOutGeek SlayerNut - RIP Staff Member

A second vote for USAA. Had my outbuilding broken into a few years back. Close to $12k in power tools and Harley stuff (not the bikes) and had a check in about 9 days. No threats, just an apology for the break in and no rise in premium. Good to go in my book!

7. Bailey Boat

Bailey Boat Club Subscribed

Contact Shortbus and/or TRGuy (both on this forum) as they are independant agents with a large portfolio to choose from. BOTH are stand up, do right guys.......

8. rantingredneck

rantingredneck Staff - Purveyor of Kydex Staff Member

I've been a satisfied Erie Insurance customer for about 10 years now. Had a couple of minor homeowners claims and no rise in premiums or threats. My wife had an auto accident, her fault, no rise in premium due to first accident forgiveness policy. I use an agent out of Durham, Thaggard Insurance. Husband and wife team. Good folks.

9. tilefish

tilefish Dog Defender

Yup, I see it all the time. Companies logging an inquiry as a claim. Makes it impossible to qualify to the person. What you will to do is get documentation faxed over from your prior carrier stating that the claim in question was an "inquiry only", otherwise you will not be able to get a decent insurance company.

If you call Allstate, you will have to have preferred auto with them as well. No stand alone homeowners insurance in NC.

10. HTP

HTP Member

TRguy is my agent for auto, homeowners and health insurance. I highly recommend him.

11. Yoda

Yoda Not Subscribed

Another vote for USAA.
    Don't have to be a vet, obviously can be active duty, reserve, or related to one.

Will avoid Allstate if at all possible based on previous experience.

Will never again consider State Farm. Buncha' farquin' dirtnozzles ;poo​

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  12. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

Travelers. But I've never had a HO claim.

If state farm was my neighbor, I wouldn't need enemies.

13. CJohnson76

CJohnson76 Guest

That sucks man. I have my homeowners and car through State Farm, also have a firearm policy with Geico. I had Allstate for 20 years but the local agent is close to retiring and her assistant is an idiot...lol. So after waiting 3 weeks for a response I swapped out. I loved rhem until that.

14. Nessy

Nessy U. S. Military

Eh, I am with Cotton States Insurance for my home owners. I'm active duty military and use USAA for my Renter and Auto insurance, but not Home Owners. When I called up to get a price quote, they told me they would only insure me for the rebuild value of my house. I have a 3 bedroom/2 bath in Georgia that's at 1950 square feet on an acre and my mortgage is for $100k. The cost to rebuild the house is like $200k+ or something like that, which makes the insurance much more expensive. If the house burns down I just want to make sure I have enough money to get out from under the home loan.

I went with Cotton States because they would insure me for the actual mortgage value of the house, and I have had no issues with them (but also made no claims). I did call up a few times to ask about a claim I think, though.

15. SCshooter57

SCshooter57 Lifetime Member

I've had both my homeowners and autos with Farm Bureau for years and years (and no, you don't have to be a farmer). Rates have always been good when I checked them. Have never made a claim on the HOI. Have had a couple on the auto. They've always treated me right.

16. Joe30045

Joe30045 Registered Member

NC Farm Bureau has done right by me and specifically Amp from the board here is my agent.

17. Chdamn

Chdamn Staff Staff Member

This just shows it takes all kinds as I am exactly the opposite. I will only insure my home with USAA "Because" they go to exhaustive lengths to insure that our insurance coverage is high enough to rebuild. They literally send me a questionnaire every year asking for details of any improvements or changes to the property. Which they then check against current rebuild cost for similar materials and features.

18. mekender

mekender Lifetime Member

How is that even legal?

19. Cocked & Locked

Cocked & Locked Old School Staff

if you are eligable USAA

20. Nessy

Nessy U. S. Military

If I wanted to rebuild then it'd be something I got. But 2x the payment for a house I'm not even living in and don't have plants to have rebuilt isn't what I want. If I planned on retiring there and raising a family, etc then I'd go the other way.