Laws for shooting outside city limits

Discussion in 'State | National laws and issues 2A and State/ Car' started by 92rscamaro, Feb 22, 2012.

1. 92rscamaro

92rscamaro Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

Hey guys, was wondering the exact laws for shooting on my own property outside of city limits. We have about 4 acres and for the longest time me and my father have shot into the bank of our pond with no complaints from neighbors or anyone else. then the other day i had some.......not so bright older man drive his truck down our back easment and told me i wasnt allowed to shoot during that time of day. he lives on the other side of a thick treeline from us and moved in about 4 years ago. he has never said anything up until now but i know he used to be a real bad drunk. any advice?

2. ac guy

ac guy New Member

Drop a case of whiskey off to him before shooting, he'll sleep through it

3. SPST

SPST Member

What county are you in?

4. chupacabrah

chupacabrah New Member

I believe you just have to be 200 ft from any dwelling and some distance away from road. I definitely could be wrong.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

5. 92rscamaro

Club Subscribed

cumberland county. he tried to tell me that i was not allowed to shoot at 2 in the afternoon because kids were off from school.....i dont want to start a big comotion with him but i also dont want to be pushed around by idiots.

6. Lawmaker

Lawmaker Member

Look up your county noise ordnance. Most NC counties have some sort of noise ordnance stating you can shoot withing 300-500 feet from a dwelling.

7. 92rscamaro

Club Subscribed

Would there be anything i can do if this guy comes again harassing me?

8. chupacabrah

chupacabrah New Member

If you are within your rights, ask him to leave.

I'm not sure if someone has a noise complaint if the cops could tell you to stop. I would guess so

9. wsfiredude

wsfiredude Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

Yes.

If he comes on to your property and harasses you, call the law.

10. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor
    Vendor

11. 92rscamaro

Club Subscribed

ok. According to the laws iv read online and ordinances then im in the clear and doing nothing wrong. I guess if he come again il warn him im going to call the cops and then see where it goes. Like i said i doubt me warning him will stop him because he thinks he owns everything and is "king" of the area even though we have lived there almost 3 times as long as he has. Thanks for the help guys.

12. Brangus

Brangus Staff Member
    Staff Member

Two very disturbing facts..........

What is he referring to in pointing out the time being 2 pm and kids being off from school? How is this relevant to some sort of ordinance?

You have some very disturbing indicators here 92rscamaro......

If you love shooting as much as most of us do and want to enjoy the sport on your own land, you need to be absolutely sure that you address this problem the right way. You never know what will push an unstable person over the edge and perhaps he will take things a step further the next time with deadly results.

I for one would report this last encounter with the Sheriff's department as soon as possible and request that a deputy come visit you. Show him exactly where you were shooting and be up front with him. Ask him for his opinion and request that he document the report. Be sure that you get a copy of the report.

I've seen things get very ugly quickly in the past with situations that got out of control before anyone could stop it. Don't let it happen to you. I don't have a clue what the outcome will be but would like for you to post the results for us.

Good luck with enjoying your private property and your shooting privileges that I hope will be protected. I would make every attempt to find out exactly what ordinances affect me in this area and follow them as best I could. And keep a cool head.

I live just south of you in Robeson. Shoot me a pm with what you find out. I'm very interested in knowing the outcome of this.

13. 92rscamaro

Club Subscribed

I'll try my best to get a hold of a sheriff over my spring break and let everyone know what i find out. I don't believe that he was relating this to being illegal per-say, i believe it was more of him telling me that HE wasn't going to allow it.

14. knifeman32

knifeman32 Sponsor
    Club Subscribed

What school actually gets out at 2pm anymore? Lord, I'm there until 4:30 at least and my students leave by 3pm at the earliest.

15. 92rscamaro

Club Subscribed

I think they got out early for some holiday that day, I'm not sure.