Medical Question: Any Guns in the Home?

Discussion in 'Firearms related News and Political topics' started by Polycoat, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Polycoat

Polycoat Registered Member

My girlfriend recently went to a new doctor. She was filling out forms including the medical history form, and one of the questions was, "Are there any guns in the home?"

Why would a doctor need to know if someone has guns in their house? I am baffled by why doctors feel they need to know this.

Thanks for any insight.

2. 613jmm

613jmm U. S. Military

The doctor doesn't need to know. If I am not mistaken, there have even been recent court rulings forcing doctors to remove the question from their forms. Besides, they can ask what they want, it doesn't mean you have to fill it out.

3. Stick Man

Stick Man Pain dealer

Yep, just dont answer it. Hell, my doctor loves guns, and calls me every now and again to go shoot. :25:

4. lufbro

lufbro Lifetime Member

just put none of your business on that line

5. John Connor

John Connor Terminator terminator

:thumbup:

6. beesouth

beesouth Registered Member

It's not the doctor that wants to know...

7. Polycoat

Polycoat Registered Member

Too late. She already answered 'yes'. I am wishing that she didn't, but ya can't cry over spilled milk.

I did a little googling. Apparently it was the AMA in 1999 which encouraged (or mandated? -- not sure yet) asking this question during exams.

8. SPST

SPST Member

Putting down none of your business is the same as saying yes. Just put down no and move to the next question.

9. Daisy Duster

Daisy Duster Gun Control Supporter

It has to do with judging whether to or not remove weapons from a person suffering with their mental capacity; just a standard question for doctor.

10. Sp00ks

Sp00ks New Member

It may depend on the type of Dr. as to whether this is a pertinent question or not.

That being said, I presume this was simply a family physician and I would not be answering that question.

11. Gimlet

Gimlet Registered Member

As someone in the medical field and works with individuals responsible for taking a complete history from patients the questions asked does have a meaningful reason. When asking patients and getting a full history you will be surprised to what you think is minor in a history is the primary reason for a major disease.
    As shooters we are subject to a wide range of chemicals during shooting and cleaning. The question is asked to look at from an exposure issue and safety issues as doctors are being pressed more and more to give out prevention advice to prevent certain accidents and diseases.

Additionally HIPAA prevents a doctor from releasing patient information unless it relates to Treatment, Payment or Healthcare Operation. Even in the event of you marking yes on the form individual information can only be used on you if you are directly were identified. The law currently prevents anyone from coming in and asking for a list of gun owners.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...jpXQBg&usg=AFQjCNHZHL7cCPzUc-LKec-UNp_yWxDPgA

12. wsfiredude

wsfiredude Club Subscribed

Riiiiiiiggggghhhhhttt.

Bleating sheep will buy that...

A citizen will not.

13. John Connor

John Connor Terminator terminator

Yeah, and our constitution limits the Gov. Lol

14. gabepossenti

gabepossenti Club Subscribed

Except that the question is whether there are guns in the home, not whether you often fire or clean guns. The one does not imply the other. Doctors are asking children this question, too, about their parents guns. It's not about health.

15. bashman

bashman Lifetime Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OWL7AzvHo&feature=related

16. Daisy Duster

Daisy Duster Gun Control Supporter

If the question was a concern to me I would call the doctor out and let the doctor explain to me the purpose of the question and if you don't agree, don't answer the question. This is still America and although I do respect the law and those charged with authority I will always ask that person the question first rather than second guess any person's motive. The day I feel I can't ask without harm is the day I will pack my bags and move; don't ever let those in charge leave you guessing; that's the job of the major news networks:).

17. Razor Ray

Razor Ray Hall of Shame

Not so, as recent court cases have proven that even without a "psycho" in the home some doctor's became preachy and allowed for the boogeyman stance of "You know, you shouldn't have them in your home if you have children", etc, etc, etc...

Skip over it and if it bothers one that much find another doctor.

18. beesouth

beesouth Registered Member

Do you ask the age of the dwelling the patient lives in, works in, and plays in..??..you certainly need to know that to find out if the patient is exposed to lead paint or asbestos....

Is there a microwave in those properties..??..

Does the patient use a cellphone..??..

Is the patient into photography..??..

What kind of cleaning products do you use..??..

Is there a gas heater in the property..??...

Are there exhaust fans in the bathroom..??...

Do you use fertilizer on your plants..??...

Do you burn kerosene lamps..??..

Are your dishes from China..??..

Here's a great one, Do you have any government mandated CFL bulbs in your home or workplace..??..

There must be at least 4753 more important questions that a physician should ask to determine what could be the primary reason for an illness...no matter how minor they seem....

19. adauria

adauria Registered Member

My wife said the pediatrician asked this question last week when examining my daughter. I would have said, "none I'm telling you about" or something similar, but my wife said "yes." So then the pediatrician went into the schpiel that they should be locked up, etc, to which my replied that they are all secured from the children.

I was a little annoyed at the question. It seems pediatricians in particular have overstepped looking simply into the physical health of children, and more into overall welfare. She was also asking my wife about the kid's obedience and discipline methods - not in an accusatory way, but rather part of the standard questions they discuss. The way its going, soon it'll be like having an interview with a social worker.

Well, my doctor suggests I stop eating so much food and cut out the pipe and cigar smoking. Oh, he suggests it, but I sure as hell don't do it.

-Andrew

20. chiefjason

chiefjason Member

My Dr has never asked, unless it revolved around my bit of hearing loss and shooting. He told me to use ear pro. I told him I do, now.