MIT Study Shows That Publishing Gun Owner Names Decreases Crime Rates

Discussion in 'Firearms related News and Political topics' started by Brian Carey, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Brian Carey

Brian Carey Registered Member

Ok ok ok... don't shoot the messenger.

But I thought that this would be worth a read after the National Journal furor.

Back in 2010, a couple of profs did a study after a Tennessee newspaper did what the National Journal recently did. The newspaper published the names and ages of people who hold gun permits.

The profs wanted to find out what, if any, impact there was on crime rates once the newspaper had published the names. Here is the conclusion: "We fi nd that crimes more likely to be a ffected by knowledge of gun ownership - such as burglaries - increased more
    signi cantly, after the database was publicized, in zip codes with fewer gun permits, and decreased in those with more gun permits
    . We fi nd no comparable eff ect for crimes that are usually not premeditated, like assaults or shootings, or in nearby areas and comparable cities that were not covered by the published database. We also fi nd no evidence that publishing the identities of gun permit holders led to a relative increase in crimes aimed at stealing their weapons."

Here is the full study:
    http://misrc.umn.edu/wise/papers/2b-2.pdf

Don't get me wrong. I don't think that the end justifies the means. And I don't agree with what this newspaper or the National Journal did. But I like it as further evidence that an increase in private gun ownership is a deterrent to criminal activity.

2. shadowsbane

shadowsbane En Mermoriam.
    Vendor Club Subscribed

My largest personal problem with the publishing is that lots of battered spouses and whatnot now have their addresses verified if their abusers wanted to find them. Seen it happen in my family, although not with publishing gun records exactly, but still.

3. subflavus

subflavus Registered Member

Interesting study, but did we really need a study to figure out that criminals will tend to avoid potential victims that can defend themselves with deadly force? :) Seriously, though, I wonder if all the statists who claim to want to protect innocent citizens will use this to push for mandatory ownership of and training with firearms. Yeah right. :)

4. GSRswapandslow

i never understood the argument here....who cares if they release the names...it's not like it's not public records already and easily gotten if someone wanted to go through the trouble. If someone was going to commit a crime, they're most likely never gonna bother to look at a list like this anyways....most crimes are smash/grab type things when it comes to home invasions. And also...considering it's split right down the middle of those that thing this will HELP deter someone from getting robbed, to those that think this will make them more likely TO BE robbed based on the fact they own guns....

5. Catfish

Catfish Polyamorous Hoplophile
    Club Subscribed

I'm against publishing on the simple premise that it's nunya damn business. All the same I can't help but grin when I read this...

6. Brandon

Brandon Member

So they are saying in the south with more law abiding citizens that own guns is safer than a more liberal, gun restrictive city?

7. elirab

elirab Member

It shouldn't be public knowledge, but even if it is the reprinting it in map form only widens the pool of those who know, and makes it easier for the thugs to plan. My understanding is that to actually get the information, the newspaper had to file a FOIA with the county. Not too many crooks want to file FOIAs, but I bet they would be happy to have the info. It is even in map form. In that sense the newspaper is like a 'straw purchaser' for the felons.

I would like to know which one of my neighbors is on heavy psychotropic drugs, but I don't believe I can FOIA that.

8. sr30

sr30 Wings of Gold 1990

They should have to go through the trouble themselves.

9. GSRswapandslow

go find a fact showing that someone will break into a home where they KNOW the owner is a concealed carry holder faster than one they don't know or know doesn't have one.....you'll NEVER find that, because that's ignorant

10. Pumpkinslinger

Pumpkinslinger Not Subscribed

The point is that they GAVE criminals a virtual shopping list. If you want an easy mark try these houses but if you want to steal a gun try these other houses. A large part of the effectiveness of gun ownership, and concealed carry, in relation to crime prevention is that the crooks don't know who might be armed. There are some articles today from ex-cons discussing how easy this list would have made their burglaries.

11. GSRswapandslow

I'm sure there are a ton of articles on BOTH SIDES of the argument that have come to light in the past day or two. I'm sure there's tons of statistics, graphs, charts, eye witness accounts, expert testimony, and a billion internet badasses on BOTH sides of the argument as well. The only thing we're missing now are the FACTS.

12. B00GER

B00GER Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

I don't care if it lowers crime, I want my stuff private. Period.

13. skiles

skiles Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

Roger that. It's called sh#@ that don't nobody need to know. I'm tracked enough already.

14. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

this

15. mekender

mekender Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

The general belief is that the statistics should be pretty clear one way or another starting in about 60-90 days.

16. dynamike

dynamike Registered Member

what if we decided to publish the names and addresses of every gay couple? do you think the left would EXPLODE about that being an invasion of privacy?

17. ikarus1

ikarus1 Member

Publish a list of every EBT card holder's name and address, along with every Department of Homeland Security and TSA agent's home. That should be public as well, right?

18. dynamike

dynamike Registered Member

Good 1 !!!!!!!1

19. FNG

FNG Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

Yes.
    I'd also like a map showing:
    any households with members with mental disorders (autism, aspergers, depression, etc, etc)- you know- to protect our kids...
    and households where members have had abortions- obviously theyve shown a disdain for children - you know - to protect our kids
    and households where there are single mothers (who may not be doing a good job of controlling their choldren) - you know- to protect our kids
    and, and...

sigh.