Moore's Machine Company AR-15

Discussion in 'AR15' started by Flashpoint, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Flashpoint

Flashpoint Club Subscribed

There was a thread here in the dealers section early in the year about this new AR manufacturer that wasn't too complimentary. Most negative comments were tempered with the fact that they were just starting to make ARs and should have done some beta testing first. "Teething pains", if you will. Well now I find one of these fine rifles in my possession, lol, having been unable to turn down a brand new AR for $579 at the gun show yesterday. The guy had been selling therm for $600 and this was his last one on Sunday afternoon.

I admit I didn't know a lot about the company but one of the selling points for me is that they are right at my back door and if I did have any issues I imagine I could get them taken care of. Haven't shot it yet, but assuming it goes bang I think I'm happy with the purchase. It's about as bare bones as you can get for a flattop m4 but it does have a 1/7 twist for the heavier rounds which I like. So the point of this thread is for me to ask does anyone have any updated info as to whether or not they have gotten their act together and now produce a quality product? I'd love to hear. Regardless I'll post my impressions when I get a chance to sling some lead with it.

Obligatory pic (sling, ACOG knock-off, and Levang comp are my doing):
    [​IMG]

2. Cape Fear

Cape Fear Atomic Amish

Just a bookmark, I am interested in this

3. Mike79

Mike79 U. S. Military

The trigger pins appear "shiny" are they stainless ? If so I'd get another set as I have seen nothing but issues with them... they had hardness issues etc.... is the barrel / chamber chrome lined ? Do you know who made the barrel ?

4. Flashpoint

I was told it was not chrome lined and I didn't expect it to be at that price. It has no visible markings.

The finish on the barrel is somewhat strange to me though. It's uniform, but is a fine abrasive gray that starts to appear powdery if dry. If you rub it with your hands or a cloth when dry it will get powdery which seems like its tiny bits of skin or cloth. Maybe I'm just not used to parkerizing of this type.

5. sheepdog120

sheepdog120 Club Subscribed

I hadn't actually heard anything bad about the MMC rifles as a whole. I did buy a parts kit from them that was out of spec. and had stainless pins. I ended up having to replace it, b/c no matter what I did the diconnect wouldn't seat right.

Even if you have to replace the lower parts, you can't beat that AR deal. Let us know how it shoots!

6. BDSmith

BDSmith Registered Member

Is this from Sanford? I have a girl that works QC sitting next to me here at my office and she's never heard of this.

EDIT:

She looked it up, they are made at the other factory there in Sanford it seems.

7. sheepdog120

sheepdog120 Club Subscribed

8. KWCAM

KWCAM Registered Member

Look at the Bolt Carrier and check to see if the gas key is properly staked on, this will tell you alot about thier knowledge and attention to detail, If its not staked or staked improperly, I'd get that fixed asap and really go over the rest of the rifle to see any other areas they may have skimped on or glossed over

9. krinkkink

krinkkink Registered Member

The markings for the barrel are under the handguards around the handguards retainer, and as far as i know everything but the furniture and upper reciever is made on site. I have seen some small teething issues in the originals, but there customer service and repair policy is above and beyond most companies i have dealt with. Just to mention that they are producing lowers and parts kits and barrels for brownells and r-guns from az

10. Tim12821

Tim12821 Member

I don't know about complete firearms but I have two MMC lowers that I'm gonna be putting together as soon as the parts kits arrive. The machining and finish looked good on the lowers and the price was right. The pieces i've already fitted have been ok with the exception of the receiver extension(buffer tube)..it was extremely tight to the point I had to run a tap in it to get it to thread in. It would thread in a RockRiver lower with no problems. I may add more once the LPKs arrive.YMMV

11. Wahoo95

Wahoo95 Club Subscribed

Lube it up and go put 1k rounds through over the weekend and let us know how it does.

12. Flashpoint

Care to chip in for some of that ammo? ;-)

13. Flashpoint

Fired 10 rounds today at the homestead. 2nd round had a FTE. It extracted but didn't eject, the case mouth was dinged pretty good. No failures after that. Gun was well lubed but it was the end of a Federal bulk pack and out of that box I've had at least 4 bad rounds some of them with major flaws in the case that I noticed when loading mags but with a different gun so I'm blaming the ammo until I know different.

Just wanted to sight it in. I shot at 25yds because I hear that will also put me in the ballpark at 200. 1st shot was only about .7" off to the right dead level. Not bad for just mounting a brand new scope. So anyone know the particulars of the 25/200 rule? I'm assuming it's for 55gr but what barrel length (velocity) and what did they use for scope height, 1"?

14. Wahoo95

Wahoo95 Club Subscribed

Lots of variables, but a 50yd zero will put you close around 200yds.

15. Flashpoint

Thanks I thought it was 25 yds but you are correct! Found this at Calguns.net:

50/200 yard zero -- ballistics
    M4 Carbine (14.5 " BBL) M855 5.56mm ball, 2910 fps muzzle velocity
    Range (yards) 50 yard zero path (inches)
    0 -2.6
    25 -1.16
    50 0.0
    75 +0.87
    100 +1.43
    125 +1.65
    150 +1.52
    175 +1.00
    200 +0.08
    225 -1.29
    250 -3.14
    275 -5.5
    300 -8.41

16. Flashpoint

Shot 100 rounds today. Had 6 to 8 FTEs randomly spaced. Now I'm trying to decide if I should try and figure out what's going wrong myself or give it back to MMC to make it right. Also the bolt will not lock back even when manually cycled on an empty mag.

The FTEs are all the same, failures to eject so the empty is still on the bolt face when the bolt strips a new round causing a double feed. When I cycle rounds through the action manually the rounds eject as soon as they clear the ejection port. Maybe the ejector spring is not strong enough?

Very disappointed obviously. Any suggestions about the FTEs? I'm afraid the bolt not locking back is an even bigger issue like an out of spec lower or something. Tried multiple mags with the same result.

17. Boomstick

Boomstick New Member

Try swapping out the spring/buffer combo with a shorter spring?

18. CornerShot

CornerShot Registered Member

Flashpoint,
    Can you post pic's of the bolt carrier? Top side and under side?

19. JoeBobOutfitters.com

JoeBobOutfitters.com Sponsor

Is there a way you can swap out the BCG, Spring, Buffer, etc with someone else or do you have extras of these sitting around? This may help you start eliminating bad variables.

20. Flashpoint

Unfortunately I don't have any spare AR parts or another AR, although I have friends that do so I might see what I can do in that regard. I don't think the failure to lock back is a buffer issue though because it won't lock back even when I pull the charging handle all the way to the rear manually. I'll post a pic of the BCG tonight.

I forgot to mention earlier that the one positive is it's pretty darn accurate. I was hitting metal Christmas tree targets at 200yds fairly consistently with the chinese FACOG. They were either 2" or 2.5" I think.