Most underrated semi automatic pistol caliber for self defense?

Discussion in 'Handguns, Pistol Shooting' started by Ray, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Ray

Ray Hall of Shame

What do you think is the most overlooked self defense pistol caliber for semi automatic pistols?

I'm talking calibers originally designed for use in semi auto pistols.

2. MCQUADE

MCQUADE Lifetime Member

You know I gotta say it, THE 10MM AUTO!

3. diablos30

diablos30 Club Subscribed

50ae

[video=youtube;yGodlHtdZ0U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGodlHtdZ0U[/video]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  4. elDiabloLoco

elDiabloLoco Registered Member

9x18 Makarov. O'course that's just overlooked in North America.

5. Dcgallim

Dcgallim U. S. Military

10mm = 40s&w for men.

6. Hunter

Hunter Staff Writer

10mm Auto without a doubt. I am truly surprised it has not gotten much more popular.

7. -06

-06 Registered Member

I remember how I scoffed to myself at a bud carrying a Makorov---now that is my work carry. Fine little round comparable to the 380.

8. Dcgallim

Dcgallim U. S. Military

He said underrated not overrated. When the round has to be carried in a gun the size of an AR pistol why not just carry an AR pistol.

9. carolina sorillo

carolina sorillo Registered Member

I have never fired nor owned either of these but from how they look on paper I'll agree with 10mm and add 7.62 Tokarev. 10's a hot .40 and the Tok. is a screamin' .32!

C.S.

10. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Staff Staff Member

10mm is awesome, and not as popular as it should be. Same with 45 Super.

but......when I think of the "Most underrated semi automatic pistol caliber for self defense"?
    that typically leads to cartridges that many feel are inadequate for self defense, due to perceived lack of so called stopping power or smaller size of the projectile. This points me to some that are already mentioned, like commie rounds of 9x18 and 7.62x25 (which in fact are only preceived as inadequate in the Western Hemisphere). No one can argue that the 10mm lacks stopping power, but one argument I see used against 10mm as a viable self defense option is harsher perceived recoil, and increased muzzle flip vs other lower pressure options.

Another great round that is just barely hanging in there is the 357 sig. A couple of large LE departments are keeping this one alive. 45 Gap is a decent enough round, but what void did it actually fill, that our other popular options did not?

I see some make the argument that they suggest nothing less than a 380 for self defense. Well I sure don't want a 32 acp in my mid section or head at close range, or any range. 32 acp is an excellent option for frail individuals that can't handle recoil, where any shot would likely be a "get off me shot" at close proximity.

But the most underrated handgun round for self defense is a 22lr. (Yes it is a semi auto handgun round, as well as a rifle round and revolver round). People have the assumption a 22lr bounces of off individuals. It's true that individuals doped up on drugs feel less pain and therefore may not react like a typical person if not shot in the vitals, there is a lack of hydrostatic shock, and there are far better options for self defense, but in a pinch where a small 22lr may be all I have available (for whatever reason), I am sure I can stop about any human threat with a semi auto 22lr. 22lr can be very nasty with proper shot placement.

I would not recommend carrying 22lr over other better options for an individual on a regular basis, but it is not inadequate.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  11. paragain

paragain Club Subscribed

12. mckenziedrums

mckenziedrums Club Subscribed

Nailed it... Look up the ballistic tests of a 95gr 9x18 Hornady XTP bullet. That's a mean little pill! Put that in a CZ-82 and you have just about the perfect concealed carry. 12 + 1 capacity in a fixed barrel laser of a pistol that is compact and easy to shoot. Plus you can carry hammer down and chambered making it a pretty darn safe pistol to haul around too!

13. Silver_Bullet

Since there is a firing pin block you can carry it with the hammer down safely. Without a firing pin block, there is a very slight chance of setting off a round if the gun is dropped hammer down. I would just make sure that one spends a lot of time practicing with the heavy DA first trigger pull if something like a cz82 is what they carry. First shot tends to be the most important.

Honestly it is no more safer than carrying my striker fired pistol chambered in a proper holster. Safety features require the trigger to be pulled for the round to go off. The best safety is between the ears, teat every gun as it is loaded ;).

14. mckenziedrums

mckenziedrums Club Subscribed

I could argue that all day Silver... ;) Takes quite a snag to accidentally discharge the DA pull. But that's not the point of the thread so suffice to say the Mak is usually under rated as is the CZ82.

15. Flashpoint

Flashpoint Club Subscribed

357SIG. It may not look any better than 40 on paper measured by the FBI criteria, but by all accounts in actual use its an extremely effective round.

Sent from my phone.

16. NCMedic

NCMedic Club Subscribed

I'd agree with that having seen some actual results.

Sent from this using that.....

17. Silver_Bullet

Yeah the round is more than capable of defense. The only downside is you have to really do some searching to find hollow point ammo in the states for 9x18.

18. 1911gobang

1911gobang Sponsor

I agree with Mak and 357 Sig. My kid has a real Russian Mak and I like it!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

19. sheepdog910

sheepdog910 Operational Executive

That's my carry round I love it.

20. redneckcj5guy

redneckcj5guy Club Subscribed

Well said and i agree, beats throwing a rock at the bad guy!
    Snowden out.