Open Carry Law in NC questions

Discussion in 'State | National laws and issues 2A and State/ Car' started by JohnnyB, Feb 24, 2012.

1. JohnnyB

JohnnyB New Member

Had a tire replaced at a Walmart in southeastern NC today and it brought a few questions to mind.

To start off I am a SC resident, but live within about 15 minutes of the NC/SC border.

When not carrying, I normally keep a pistol in the glovebox or center console of the vehicle I am driving as does my wife (no cwp for her at this time), l didn't today, because I knew I was going into NC, and don't know your laws that well.

1. Let's say that I want to carry in NC, what are my options? In SC my gun must basically be on my person or in a "pocketbook" type bag (with CWP), or in glovebox/center console, or the "trunk". I know without a NC CHP, glovebox/center console is a big no no, as it is considered concealed.

2. This basically feeds off 1, stop once in NC at a gas station, Walmart, McDonald's wherever and need to go in, I obviously cannot carry concealed in NC with my SC cwp, can I throw it on OWB and make sure my shirttale/jacket doesn't partially conceal it, I know NC allows open carry for residents, what about visitors?

2. NicerInPerson

NicerInPerson Zombie Task Force
    Lifetime Member

If you have a valid SC CHP/CCW permit you are fine to conceal. The glovebox or console IS concealed.

3. ChadWard

ChadWard Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

IMPORTANT LINK: NC Department of Justice Concealed Weapons Reciprocity page

4. mekender

mekender Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

OC is allowed in NC because there is no law making it illegal. As such it applies to anyone that can lawfully possess a gun, resident of the state or not.

5. Lawmaker

Lawmaker Member

opencarry.org/ is also a good place for these questions.

6. JohnnyB

JohnnyB New Member

Thanks for the info guys! Didn't realize that the permit reciprocity was part of the law change at the end of last year

7. Chris B

Chris B New Member

So, the straightforward answer is... Carry how you want to in NC. You can open carry if you want to, but since you have SC CWP, you can conceal as well.. Your call