Ruger P95

Discussion in 'Handguns, Pistol Shooting' started by Luke Cage, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Luke Cage

Luke Cage Hall of Shame

Went to the range today with a buddy and he brought his Ruger P95. It was a horrible gun in my opinion. The slide moved slow as hell, and overall the gun felt cumbersome to operate. Are all he rugers this way? I like their revolvers, but between this one and the LCP, I'm not impressed.

2. snal

snal Staff

I love my P95's. They are bulky, but I haven't noticed anything slow about the slides. I do prefer the DC versions.

3. Meckmeister

Meckmeister Club Subscribed

I sold a P95 as I had a 97DC already. The 95 is a beast, but it is well mfg'd, and does not miss a beat on the range. I could never get really good accuracy with it. It is built to military specs, but Ruger's 95 lost the Army contract to Beretta back in the day.

4. knifeman32

knifeman32 Sponsor

I actually carry a P90 daily on my tractor. It has had just about everything from saw dust to sand in the action and never jammed or had any failures of any sort. I absolutely love mine.

5. Luke Cage

Luke Cage Hall of Shame

It functioned flawlessly, just didn't feel like a quality piece.

6. sr30

sr30 Wings of Gold 1990

I used to have a P85, no complaints at all. I just recently sold it so I could get another XD just because it was too big to conceal.

7. snal

snal Staff

Could that have possible been due to the "rattle" when empty?

I have 3, 2 rattle, 1 does not, but I bought it unfired.

8. gun_jedi

gun_jedi New Member

i have one - dont love it, but its reliable. i agree it feels bulky but i dont really know of anything that beats it for the combination of price/reliability/functionality.

9. knifeman32

knifeman32 Sponsor

Was this the polymer frame? Mine is all stainless. Perhaps this is the difference? As to other comments, it is bulky. I agree there. However, if I were to bet my life on any gun, I believe it would be my P90. I have to admit that it was a rather "cheap" gun but I really couldn't live without it. This is actually the gun that sold me on Ruger products in general.

10. pirate

pirate Ad Victoriam

Sure the Ruger P series handguns are not the sleekest and lightest full size semi's out there by any means but no one questions the build quality of the pistols. They are universally considered rugged, reliable, and very strong, though this strength comes at the cost of bulk and a generally blocky appearance. You can get one new for $300 and its a very good value at this low price point. They make a fine bedside or truck pistol. If you are only familiar with more modern plastic fantastics maybe they just don't feel right to you.

11. snal

snal Staff

I remember the first P85's had frame cracking, firing pin issues. I was all hot to buy one when they first came out, but the frame issue came around about the time I was able to save the funds.
    Jeeze...that was like...1989?

12. rantingredneck

rantingredneck Staff - Purveyor of Kydex Staff Member

That was the 85. First of the P-series. They actually didn't make the cutoff for the trial IIRC.

No longer own any Pseries guns, but I've had my share. They all shoot where you point them and go bang every time. I had a P90 that was stupid accurate. 8 rounds in one hole at 15yds accurate.

The polymer guns are a little slide/top heavy, with a fairly high bore axis, and it contributes to that "slow slide" feel that Luke described in the OP.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

13. jlpskydive

jlpskydive Staff Member Staff Member

I have a P95 DC and I'm not the biggest fan of the gun (wife has claimed it so I can't sell it) I will say that it has never missed a beat and is fairly accurate. In a pinch you can use it as a blunt instrument if you run out of ammo......

14. snal

snal Staff

I'd love to exercise my skill at talking her out of it :)

15. jlpskydive

Well if we ever get together you get first shot at it. I have a correction though (just went to the safe) It's a P94 DC in two tone stainless. I even have the box and paperwork. I think it's from the 90's. Man I have not pulled this thing out in years...

16. snal

snal Staff

In my best Steve Martin voice....."I break with thee, I break with thee...I break with thee (then I throw dog poop on your shoes)"

(I hope you're old enough to remember that)

17. jlpskydive

LOL, I am!!

18. Luke Cage

Luke Cage Hall of Shame

Pretty sure it was poly. It was all black.

19. snal

snal Staff

LOL!...great! Sometimes my attempts at humor do a 360, and then a 180, and head south the long way :)

20. jlpskydive

Hey Snal, What is the difference between a 94 and a 95???