S&w 686 ssr

Discussion in 'Appraisals' started by Tizz986, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Tizz986

Tizz986 Registered Member

I have recently considered buying my first revolver and I am wondering what they are actually selling for. After a lot of reading, I am pretty sure it will end up being a 686 SSR (if I can find one).

My thought was to wait until the next GSO gun show, but I was not looking at wheel guns at the last one. Any chance of finding a 686 there for a decent price? Anyone see what they were charging last time?

2. Winchester

Winchester New Member

New probably $700-750. It'll be one of the finest handguns you'll ever own. Look at the S&W Model 27. That's my favorite .357

3. Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget Club Subscribed

I would not mind one but the lock, I can not stand the lock on the gun...
    May end up with a custom made one to shave the weight off a 586 or 686 there is enough weight and barrel to play with.

4. Slacker

Slacker U. S. Military

I paid $700 for mine, heavily used with a ton of accessories. Its a game gun only. That means federal primers.

5. Tizz986

Tizz986 Registered Member

Has yours had trigger work done or is the spring worn out? I have heard that if you go with a lighter spring then you have to go federal primers, but out of the box it should be able to use anything.

6. pittmanj22

pittmanj22 Registered Member

I'd agree that between $700 and $750 is a good price but anything over $800 I'd probably keep looking.

Another point to consider is during the panic S&W moved all their lines to almost exclusively ARs and M&Ps. So revolvers are hard to come by these days.

I own two Pro Series revolvers (627 and 625) and they are really great values. You'll enjoy it if/when you get one.

7. Slacker

Slacker U. S. Military

Yes. Its DAO and super smooth. It won't even consider igniting anything but federal primers.
    Game gun only for sure.