Saw an OC'er today- sorta

Discussion in 'Firearms related News and Political topics' started by chiefjason, Sep 30, 2010.

1. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor
    Vendor

Stopped in the Wilco Hess truck stop on Hwy 74 just between Monroe and 485. I walked in and there was a guy at the counter buying a drink and other stuff. I noticed he had a bunch of stuff on his belt so I checked a little closer. From back to front, a clip with driving gloves, flashlight in a pouch and probably keys in there somewhere, an empty generic holster, and 2 speed loader cases. It was a black male, around 6' or so, 220-250 lbs, business casual dress.

My initial though was LEO. But the missing gun tells me that's not right. I figure the guy had a jacket on earlier and did not want to wear the jacket into the store. He either did not know OC was legal or did not want to bother with it.

I was looking for a way to strike up a conversation with him without going straight to "Hey, where's your gun?" Before I had a chance to talk to the guy the cashier asked for my card. I went out to fuel my truck and I guess the guy left on the car side. When I came back in I asked the cashier if she knew who he was. Figured I might get an answer if he was a regular. She had not idea who I was talking about. When I described him and mentioned the holster the guy beside me about bugged out. lol That's the main reason I did not just start a conversation right there at the counter. Figured it might freak the cashier or someone else out. Likely would have caught him off guard too.

Just a little interesting observation from work today. Wasn't any of you was it?

2. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye New Member

His gun was probably laying on the floor next to the crapper in the gas station restroom. He'll be wondering all day now where he left it.

3. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor
    Vendor

Once I got home I thought about that too. I should have checked the restroom.

4. Demon

Demon Hall of Shame

It could be locked in his glovebox. Was this location anywhere near a jail or prison?

Some officers choose to lock their gun in their own vehicle rather than "check-in" with the detention facility.

He could have forgotten to return it to his holster.

5. Evil Drew M

Evil Drew M Registered Member

Maybe he is a mall security guard.

6. GTPOwner

GTPOwner New Member

Oh Snap!

7. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor
    Vendor

None that I am aware of, but there is always the local jail facilities. Nothing bigger that I can think of. No badge showing either. But all I saw was his strong side.

I've heard all kinds of responses to people seeing someone armed. Once I gave him the head to toe once over, and took a second to think about it, I was actually annoyed that he was unarmed. Either he did not realize you could OC, or was not willing to take the chance. My thought was that now he was advertising that he was likely unarmed. That seemed like a worse idea to me than seeing him OC. But I'm not the one who would freak out and call 911 for an evil revolver. I actually realize that the BG's don't gear up like that. They want to be able to toss it in a ditch and no one's the wiser for it.

8. Demon

Demon Hall of Shame

He could've been a college student participating in an empty holster protest.

Hell, I dunno. I'm grasping at straws. YOU SHOULD HAVE SHAKEN HIM DOWN AND DEMANDED INFORMATION(s)

9. Evil Drew M

Evil Drew M Registered Member

Yup - whip out your CCW badge and interrogate!

10. leadchunker

leadchunker New Member

I have an empty holster when I go in BB&T. All the other places I go it goes.

11. NCMountains

NCMountains Registered Member

I know the location you speak of chiefjason. The gas station is at an entrance to a business park where an indoor gun range is located. If it was during the day or early evening he could have just come from there and locked his firearm in his vehicle. It's a nice range, been there several times.

12. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor
    Vendor

AHHH!! Very possible. Come to think of it, I have seen signs for a range in that area. But did not connect the dots.

13. kration

kration Registered Member

He probably wore it just to see how long of a thread it would make on this board...

He had an empty holster.. WHO CARES

14. Socom

Socom Registered Member

Could be some kind of "Security",, Some have to carry the "Companys firearms" And Not able to take them home... Was there a Navel base near by ? That wasn't in New York State was it, They found a handgun in a dept store dressing room yesterday... Shhhh, Bet it was a copper.

15. Cameronswmp9

Cameronswmp9 Registered Member

I saw one today too at the McDonalds in Holly Springs on 55. Revolver in what looked to be an Uncle Mikes style holster. I was trying to look at it without looking hard at it, but I may have spooked him as I looked. Only other thing on his belt was a cell phone. Older white gentleman, 8am-ish this morning.

16. NCPatrolAR

NCPatrolAR New Member

Probably a guy going through security guard training. That indoor range makes most of it's money training guards

17. ah "Phooey"

ah "Phooey" Registered Member

This brings back memories. I lived just north of Greensboro, on my way home from the range I would stop at the corner store. I new the guy who owned the place so I knew he didn't care about my open carry, but man did I get some weird looks from the people that walked in the door when I was standing there with a Beretta 96 on my hip.

18. bugman53

bugman53 Registered Member

A few months ago i was on the way back from a match and i still had all my gear on. Mag holders, holsters ect. I was soaked to the bone from getting cought in the rain at the match. I stopped at a mcdonalds to go to the bathroom but my guns were in the truck in my shooting bag. So that might be what happened?

19. GrumpyC4

GrumpyC4 Registered Member

A lot of gas stations have no weapons signs on the doors; he may have left his firearm in his vehicle to avoid any problems with store employees.

20. ncccw01

ncccw01 Registered Member

That's by Hyatt's indoor range. I was there this morning. This wasn't me though.