SC; bill S.115

Discussion in 'SC Carry (SC Laws and Issues)' started by Long_range09, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Long_range09

Long_range09 Member

The bill allowing SC residents to open carry is scheduled for it's final hearing March 18. This bill has gotten numerous supporters; so please contact our representatives and help get this one passed. Sen. Bright plans to schedule a vote on the bill by the subcomittee on March 20th.

2. John Canuck

John Canuck Registered Member

3. 11B3XCIB

11B3XCIB Club Subscribed

Wrote all the Senators and Reps for Lexington and Richland counties about both bills (thanking the Senators who supported 308) requesting consideration for 115.

4. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Staff Staff Member

If you scroll down the list to s115, they have it listed as up for a vote in senate judicial committee, but likely to die at the bottom of the agenda.
    http://www.scgunblog.com/Current_Legislation.php

You SC guys need some sort of organization, and need to light some fire under them. The people (even if it's a minority), need to express themselves and make this top agenda. Politicians don't need to feel secure in their job, and if this (arguably the most important piece of pro 2a legislation in the state of SC gets buried, let them know of your displeasure.)

A march up to the capital in support of s115 couldn't hurt. ;) No one I know of in SC even knows this bill exists. It needs publicity, especially in a so called conservative state like SC.

5. 11B3XCIB

11B3XCIB Club Subscribed

Who started the Bill? Instead of keeping it a secret I wish they'd get some momentum behind it themselves through connections. Can't expect people to march about something if they never hear about it

6. Silver_Bullet

While they have issues I don't always agree with, this is where an in state organization like GRNC helps imo. The NRA just doesn't do enough at the State level imo.

7. John Canuck

You are correct on all counts. When I moved to SC from Virginia, I tried to organize some folks to do a monthly get together. A quick breakfast once a month to get some momentum for starting a group like VCDL. I got 15 or so people out once, but only two or three of us were there regularly. It seems there is very little interest for any real grass roots lobbying in SC.

I've also noticed a pretty large number of gun owners who believe in reasonable restrictions. It's hard to fix the litany of Jim Crow anti-gun nonsense that exists in SC when you hear gun owners against restaurant carry and against restoring the bearing of arms as a right with constitutional carry.

The Grass Roots folks are still buried in some stupid legal nonsense. I'm not sure how effective they will be if they ever start up again. I had to start my own blog because I couldn't even find anyone keeping a score card on the gun bills in the state.

www.scgunblog.com
    @scgunblog

8. John Canuck

Agreed. I've been trying to spread the word for months in my blog. I can't force people to read it, but I'm trying to get the word out.

9. John Canuck

10. jffclmn

jffclmn Registered Member

Where are you located John. I am in Richburg near I-77 and Hwy 9. I was in Columbia to sit in on the committee meeting last Tuesday till it was canceled. Not sure if I can make it this week but will be watching on the net. Senator Lee Bright is the one who first sponsored the bill and has been trying to get some traction with it. He is running against Lindsey Graham this year for the federal seat.

11. SCshooter57

SCshooter57 Lifetime Member

Did the same for my representative.

12. Silver_Bullet

I hope you guys get John McCain's buddy out. I don't know much about Bright, but if he is sponsoring constitutional carry, he must be better than that progressive Lindsey Graham.

13. John Canuck

14. John Canuck

15. kcult

kcult Member

A county cop posted a link to a small article in The State describing how Nikki Haley views S.115 favorably. He only commented "interesting" and left it. I commented that it was a shame a law would have to be passed to give rights back to the people. Then, a LE from the neighboring county chimed in.

16. Todd_196

Todd_196 Registered Member

Hmmm interesting. Sad that an LE would present that point of view. I agree with you, it truly is sad we need to fight so hard to get ANY rights back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. 11B3XCIB

11B3XCIB Club Subscribed

Got this email from the National Association for Gun Rights earlier. PLEASE CONTACT THOSE LISTED TO PREVENT SEN. MARTIN FROM KILLING IT!!!!

I've got an urgent update for you.

S.115, the Constitutional Carry bill, is scheduled to be heard in the Senate Judiciary Committee in Columbia.

But insiders are warning that the anti-gun Senate Judiciary Committee chairman, State Senator Larry Martin, is planning to kill it once and for all.

That's because State Senator Larry Martin, a Republican, has been a vocal opponent of Constitutional Carry.

He even unsuccessfully voted to kill it last week.

But this restoration of your right to keep-and-bear arms is vital.

If passed, South Carolina would join Vermont, Alaska, Wyoming and Arizona as the fifth state that recognizes your right to self-defense as protected by the Second Amendment.

Constitutional Carry will remove the ban on open carry in South Carolina, so law-abiding citizens would be able to carry open or concealed.

Constitutional Carry also removes the requirement that you beg for permission from the government, in the form of a permit, and pay a tax before you can carry your firearm, lawfully, for self-defense.

You’ll still be able to get a CWP if you want one to carry in another state, but you’ll no longer be required to have one to carry in South Carolina.

But if Senator Martin holds up Constitutional Carry again...

... South Carolina will remain on par with states like California and New York, where there is no lawful way to carry a firearm without government permission.

The hearing was supposed to be today, but due to the snowfall, it's been postponed.

The bill will be back before the Senate Judiciary Committee when business resumes.

That's great news because it gives you more time to convince Senator Larry Martin and the other anti-gun Republicans on the committee to abandon their opposition to Constitutional Carry.

Here's what you can do to help:

First, contact Senator Larry Martin at (803) 212-6610 or at LarryMartin@scsenate.gov

Urge him to bring S.115 -- the Constitutional Carry Bill -- up for a vote at once.

Then call each of these anti-gun Republicans who also voted -- unsuccessfully -- to kill Constitutional Carry last week.
    *** Sen. Chauncey K. (Greg)Gregory (803) 212-6024

*** Sen. Paul Thurmond (803) 212-6172

*** Sen. Luke Rankin (803) 212-6410

Urge them to abandon their anti-gun opposition to Constitutional Carry and vote to pass S.115 without delay!

Please act immediately.

For Freedom,

Dudley Brown
    Executive Vice President

Please write these guys. Go to www.scstatehouse.gov and find them on the drop down menu by name. Easiest way is to look in the middle at the Voting Record area, click their name, and their main profile where you can send them a message is accessible through the voting record.

This is what I'm sending them today: (I will write again soon with something else)

Senator,

I am writing to ask for your support for S.115, the Constitutional Carry Bill. Law abiding citizens shouldn't have to ask for permission, submit to fingerprinting, and hundreds of dollars in fees to exercise a Right that is outlined in the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. Why should law abiding citizens be denied the ability and be forced to ask for permission to carry a firearm for self defense, when criminals can carry any time, any place regardless of the current laws, because CRIMINALS DON'T FOLLOW LAWS. South Carolina has a population of about 4.7 million people, roughly 80% of those are above the age of 21. SLED indicates about 229,000 South Carolinians have Concealed Weapons Permits. This means only 5% of all State residents old enough have been granted permission to exercise a Constitutional Right. When you were elected by the PEOPLE of South Carolina as a State Senator, you swore to uphold the Constitution of the United States. Please remember that oath and bear true faith and allegiance to the same. Do not become part of the domestic problem that is plaguing our Nation. You have a choice to do to the right thing and were given that opportunity by the people whom you represent which does not end with your constituency, but has lasting ramifications for the entire State. The People of this State have the right to defend themselves; passing this law will let us know that our elected officials actually support the People and their best interests, rather than just personal agendas. Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  18. Silver_Bullet

Luke Rankin is a Joke and a RINO. He switches back and forth between D & R parties, depending on the voting base. He's a flip flopping liberal that represents Horry County and the transplanted Yankee liberals at the Beach keep voting him in office whether he's a Republican or Democrat when he runs.

You conservatives and libertarians in Horry County need to run the Anti Gun Luke Rankin off. Horry County has the option of voting for 2 Democrats in the General election, as Luke is a Democrat, turned Republican, and has considered turning back to a Dem again. http://www.fitsnews.com/2011/06/27/luke-rankin-switching-parties-again/ He's just out for himself and his political career.

You guys in SC, need some pressure on these so called Republicans in name only.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  19. John Canuck

20. John Canuck