Selling a handgun in NC

Discussion in 'State | National laws and issues 2A and State/ Car' started by jebnc, Nov 15, 2012.

1. jebnc

jebnc Registered Member

I know this has been posted a hundred times before but what paper work do I need to sell a handgun to a NC resident. I too live in NC.

2. Have gun-will travel

Buyer needs to have a ccw or a pistol permit from their local sheriff and a picture ID (NCDL)to verify who they are

3. tranick13

tranick13 New Member

Sorry to revive and old thread, but does the seller need to physically take the permit from the buyer (like how my FFL takes my permit), or does the seller just need to record the handgun permit number (and check for a valid NC driver's license)?

4. Catfish

Catfish Polyamorous Hoplophile
    Club Subscribed

That is a matter of some debate but AFAIK there is no specific requirement to keep ANY record of the transaction.

5. ikarus1

ikarus1 Member

http://www.ncdoj.com/files/about-doj/law-enforcement-liaison/2007-nc-firearms-gun-laws.aspx

The language of the original PPP section of firearms laws say only the dealer must retain the permit. Individuals would probably be okay retaining a copy of the original, but with the passage of HB937 this will be a moot point. Remember this PDF above was written by Roy "I know NOTHINK! Shulz" Cooper aka felon governator Easley cohort.

The question to ask is: How do they do it in the rest of the south? I'm not sure but I doubt SC vs NC armed felon perp. ratio is that far off even though they have no PPP system. I would venture to say that most of the Upstate armed felon criminal perps originate in the Queen City and move south. Most certainly gang members.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  6. jb2sea

jb2sea Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

My understanding is that you are supposed to see that the buyer has a PPP or CCP. But there is no requirement to keep a copy. Many sellers on here do keep a copy though, but that is up to them as the seller. No legal requirement to keep a copy.

You guys correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's my understanding.

7. tranick13

tranick13 New Member

Thanks guys this is really helpful. Strange how these imposed laws (i.e., guns, knives, etc.) aren't so cut and dry...

It seems like there's no database or registry that connects permits to actual handgun serial numbers. If that is the case, if you sold one of your handguns that you had a permit for, does this mean that this particular permit can be used to buy another handgun (from a LGS or private seller)?

In other words, can the original permit be used for the purchase of another gun if the original gun was legally sold to someone else? Hope that's not confusing....

8. Catfish

Catfish Polyamorous Hoplophile
    Club Subscribed

9. jb2sea

jb2sea Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

Not sure what the letter of the law says. But the idea is one permit, one gun. If you bought the first gun from a dealer, they would likely (may be required to) keep the permit. If you bought from an individual and they did not keep your permit, then I can't see anything from keeping you from using that permit again. I would not do so, however, as that at the least goes against the spirit of the law.

I'd just wait a few days and hopefully all this pistol permit requirement stuff will be history (see thread on HB937)!!

10. ikarus1

ikarus1 Member

Actually, you can use 1 PPP to buy up to 5 long guns in lieu of the the NICS check. The letter of the law says private purchaser doesn't have to give up the permit to a private seller. It's all out there on NCLEG