Shooting an animal in defense, in city limits?

Discussion in 'Grass Roots North Carolina (GRNC)' started by NCXD40, Jan 21, 2010.

1. NCXD40

NCXD40 Registered Member

Well just a couple weeks ago animal control caught a rabid coyote on my street. I've seen numerous foxes, and what I think were coyote tracks. We have tons of squirrels, and bird feeders that obviously attract their food.

My concerns are what to do it self defense should I ecounter one of these? Is it legal to fire on them in defense even in city limits.

2. snal

snal Staff

I couldn't get an answer here in Asheville, but I'll probably find out. We have 2 yotes back behind the shop. They look healthy enough, but I have my 2 Boxers here every day. I keep a .22 mag at the ready in the office....so far I haven't had a shot.
    Last year we got a rabid fox with a bow.

3. NCXD40

NCXD40 Registered Member

It concerns me a great deal, because I like and my dog likes, to be let out on her big run in the backyard often when its nice out. Plus we walk her often around the neighborhood.

I know that wouldn't have been the only Coyote, probably not the only rabid one, and I know there have been many others trapped around Winston.

4. snal

snal Staff

I don't "know" this...but I was told that one can get into trouble by NOT disposing of a rabid animal properly. Not sure what "proper disposal" is...but I've heard that deep burial or cremation is preferred.

5. NC Dave

NC Dave New Member

There is no statewide law regarding this. Check your local ordinances.

For example, here in Cary, Sec 22-52 of our ordinances states that it is illegal to discharge any firearm within the corporate limits, but, item #2 under this code gives the exception, "When lawfully used in defense of person or property or pursuant to lawful directions of law enforcement officers."

Under this law, I would not hesitate to kill an animal that posed an immediate threat to me or another person or family pet. Otherwise I view it as an issue to be reported to Animal Control.

Again, check your local laws as your mileage may vary, but most municipalities in NC have this type of exception written into their laws.

6. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye New Member

To protect a person you should be good. To protect a pet, that's a gray area. No immediate threat just the animal passing through, probably going to be an issue. If you do kill one, make sure to call animal control and let them handle the carcass. They often will test for rabies. I'd make sure to repeatedly mention it was acting strange and aggressive.

7. Caesar_Mikey

Caesar_Mikey Registered Member

Well if your with you pet then you are in immediate danger also. And the way I look at it. There wasnt any shot. Car came by and back fired.

8. mekender

mekender Lifetime Member

Those clear sky thunderclaps are scary.

9. snal

snal Staff

So THAT"S why my hearing is shot! :)

If I couldn't explain away the "bang"...then... "Officer, the animal made a visious charge at me, and I ran inside to get my gun...the rascal was still there when I went back out...foaming at the mouth, snaping at imaginary threats, and snarling at me...so I decided to take out the potential health hazzard."

10. NC Dave

NC Dave New Member

First off, if you think it is a justifiable use of your firearm, why would try to lie about it and try to "explain away the bang?" Getting caught in a lie is going to go better for you??!!???

Anti-gunners eat up posts like these. They use them as evidence that we are all just renegades looking for the chance to shoot something instead of the law abiding citizens that we are.

11. snal

snal Staff

You are correct, but the issue (for me) is more related to the justification in taking the animal, rather than the firing of the weapon. I don't want the yotes here whether they are rabid or not. To "me" they are a threat to my animals (which are legal). I've seen them carrying rabbits, so if they could catch that...they could catch my dogs. Personally, I feel that I should be able to take them with that justification, and there is no closed season (although we are talking about within the city limits). No doubt that animal control, and others, would disagree.
    These yotes are still somewhat timid, but we have seen them walk right down the road in front of my shop....20' from the front door. They ave also been inside my gated, fenced lot.
    Most likely, any issues that I would have to face would be more from the PETA type folks than it would be from the LEOs for firing my rifle.
    Believe me...Asheville is "different" to say the least.
    1 was killed directly behind my lot last year...by LEOs. I've seen 3 at one time since then.
    This is an area where I am the only building on a dead end street, surrounded by steep terrain on 3 sides.

12. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Staff Member Staff Member

we have a lot of coyotes around also, and some people's pets have disappeared. My underground fence keeps my dog in, but it won't keep a coyote out. We're in the city limits also and I've had this concern as well. I'd like to know what the legal ramifications are, but I don't think I'd hesitate to take one out if it was going after my dog or family.

13. NCXD40

NCXD40 Registered Member

I definitley wouldn't hesitate to shoot if I felt that my dog, cats, or GF were in any danger. I talked to the guy today that originally reported the "rabid fox". He said it was atacking his water hose, and other things in the front yard. When it saw them looking at the window at him, he started jumping up at the window.

Was talking to my neighbors today. Without even mentioning anything about foxes or coyotes, they said they saw one walking up the hill in our back yards along the narrow woodline.

I feel bad for my dog because she likes to be left outback alone sometimes when the weather is decent, but I fear for her safety.

14. weaver

weaver Registered Member

It seems to me that you would get a more direct and authoritative answer from your local law enforcement agency, whether it be police, sheriff or animal control.

If you are concerned about better to ask forgiveness than permission you could always call from a pay phone. Oh wait, do they still have pay phones?

Asking here will only get you opinions (we all know about opinions) and a record of your concern for breaking the law.

15. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Staff Member Staff Member

We've called animal control before and they weren't interested.