Should I convert my rare version Mak 90 or Keep it in the safe? PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'AK47' started by hkp7nut, Jul 24, 2012.

1. hkp7nut

hkp7nut Registered Member

Hi everyone. Well I have been toiling over this question for some time and I figured I'd ask the great folks here on the forum to chime in with some opinions on what I should do.

What I have is a somewhat rare variant of the Chinese Norinco Mak-90. My particular version has a serial number of 008376 with no addition to the date like 99% of Mak's for the import date. What really sets it apart is that the receiver still had the imprints for the underfolder. I sourced and original Chinese underfolder set + added a Norinco Pistol grip to bring it back to its pre-ban glory. Only thing missing is the original FSB with the bayonet lug. The barrel threads also Serial no.JPG Front Sight.jpg Left Side.JPG Receiver Markings.JPG Right Side.jpg were never removed and still accepts the flash hider's.

SO... here is my question: I just shot at the PHA IDPA Match and I'm hooked. The gun performed flawlessly but with all the action noticed some wear to it. Previous to my ownership, the gun had never been shot. All matching numbers and is in a solid 98% condition.

I really want to get into the match shooting but not sure if I should stuff this gun back in the safe and let it appreciate in value or if I should throw on a rail and optic from Midwest Industries, a SAW grip and all the other goodies and just shoot the hell out of it. I'm low on cash so I would need to build an AR/ Galil/ Sig556 platform over time.

LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS ON WHAT I SHOULD DO!!! Thanks so much guys!!

2. knifeman32

knifeman32 Sponsor
    Club Subscribed

I would likely put it back in the safe. Good running akm's can be had for $500 or perhaps a little less. If you plan to build one overtime anyways, I would make a cheap AK purchase and run it for the time being. Then I would start building your AR. I'm not particularly sure how you would build a Sig556 other than buying the rifle complete and if you decide the galil route, it could be costly.

3. hkp7nut

Appreciate the input! Its tough as I have tried friends AK's ( mostly WASR junk) and was just soooo pleased at how well the gun shot at the match! Accurate and no jams of any kind with the cheapest ammo available. Any idea on how much a rifle like this would run? From my research on GB it looks like around $1000-1200 or so. I like the idea of an AR and how easy they are to customize but I also like being a little different so the Galil or something funky like that would be fun. Century Golani seems the best way to break into Galil's but I hear nothing but bad stuff about them.

Oh well! Keep the opinions coming and thanks again! :)

4. mckenziedrums

mckenziedrums Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

There's a VZ58 on armslist right now for 650... would be an option for you to be really different. Much more accurate than an AK. Not that most folks would know the difference.

I wouldn't muck about with that one but that's just me.

5. hkp7nut

Hmmm... That VZ58 is pretty interesting. Will have to look into it. I can't help but like the thought of purchasing a Century C93 or a Century Galil but the horror stories are really adding up. Say what you will about AK"s but every time I pull the trigger it goes BANG!

I am also considering picking up a beater MAK 90 ( just a plain one ) and doing all the modifications but Im a believer in having variety in a collection. What do you think?

6. mckenziedrums

Club Subscribed

The 58 is built differently than an AK... looks the same but with some pretty major internal differences. They're also known for being accurate.

Although for shooting matches, can you not get away with a .22? I've never shot any so I'm not sure. Would be an inexpensive way to shoot them while you decide how to build up an AR or whatever.

7. sheepdog120

sheepdog120 Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

My 0.02 cents.... Never convert or modify ANYTHING that is "rare".

8. knifeman32

knifeman32 Sponsor
    Club Subscribed

Alright.. Let's look at your options. How much are you willing to spend at the moment? Wasr's are not all junk. If you get "serious" into competitions, I wouldn't go with a wasr but they aren't all bad. I've got a few that I run at least two or three times a week and they give me zero problems. I actually prefer one of my wasr's over my slr-95. I can't really tell you why. It's just a love affair I guess.

What type of rifle are you looking at on gunbroker? I'm a bit confused. Are you talking about pricing your MAK or looking at other rifles? Golani's aren't ALL bad but with the few that I have been around, the headspacing was off and they didn't run correctly. I've only been around two of them so I can't really speak from first hand experience. If your budget is limited, what about a hi-point carbine? I love mine and it never fails.

9. knifeman32

knifeman32 Sponsor
    Club Subscribed

+1 on this.

10. hkp7nut

11. mckenziedrums

Club Subscribed

If it's still available and you can swing the 650 it's not a bad deal. Not my gun by any means and I'd check the barrel out just to make sure it's in good shape but they are fantastic guns. Almost built one but ended up selling the parts kit to fund some other projects.

12. hkp7nut

Hey sorry for the confusion. The pricing on the Mak was a side track. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas on it. As far as budget is concerned, I don't want to be over $1000 with optics and modifications included so I figure about $600-800 on the rifle + Goodies. If I wanted to go the Pistol Caliber carbine, I personally have a Wilkinson Arms TERRY Carbine in 9mm that will out-shoot almost anything in its class.

Does anyone know if I would be able to shoot the 9mm carbine at an IDPA match? That would be a blast but again, another rare rifle that I don't think I want to bang around.

I think building the AR route makes the most sense at this time. I have a couple guns that are up for trade and think i will build up an AR platform in the 7.62 x 39 caliber to keep ammo costs down ( and the fact that I have it stockpiled). Additionally, i REALLY want an SBR so the AR would offer a cost affective way of upgrading to the SBR once the permit is approved etc.

More thoughts and opinons welcomed! Thanks again for all the input guys. Its not really a conversation I can have with my girl as I get the blank " I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT " look from her!

HAHA

13. Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

Mak 90/ Chinese Type 56 - Debanned with Under-folder 7.62x39

Got to ask looking at the picture, that was a thumbhole stock when it came to the US correct?.
    What do the markings look like for the Safe Fire on the reciever? Any chance of a pic?
    The underfolder and Pistol grip look from China, what all USA parts were used in it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  14. cfpkiller

cfpkiller Member

Here come the 922r guys...

hkp7nut just give this as a default answer..tapco g2 fcg, us made gas piston, tapco us made mags....you could even throw in us made slant brake.

15. hkp7nut

From the research I have done, this particular MAK was 1 of 2 or 3 batches of under-folder's that were stuck in customs when the ban hit. When the ban hit, Norinco sent out rep's to the custom's area's to weld on the fitment for the thumb-hole stock. At that time they also shaved off the bayonet lug and the post under the FSB for the cleaning rod as well as the pin on the FSB that holds the flash hider in place. I guess they got lazy and forgot to take the threads off! Only US part on the gun is the flash hider and my para-cord cheek wrap.

Receiver Markings.JPG

16. hkp7nut

tapco g2 fcg, us made gas piston, tapco us Mag + Tapco flash hider. Seriously people not interested in a 922r thread here.

17. hkp7nut

Why do people think they need to be the "police of 922r compliance"?

18. B00GER

B00GER Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

This is a public forum, and keeping 100% within the law is in the forums best interest. Some people are just more over zealous than others.

19. Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

Maybe because some new guy comes on here asking about our thoughts and what one should do......

Maybe you are not sure or clear of the laws, Who knows who cares, that was why I ask.
    It is your butt on the line..

So carry on.

BTW, I would pull the post with the picture of the SN. There was a batch that came in from that time frame that had some extra stamping in it but can't tell for sure, without seeing the other picture I ask for, ATF has the SN list for the range and took 3 I think it was from us at the shop. They said it was built on what was to close to a FA stamping....All were thumbhole under folders.

You can read up on it if you want, it is clear you don't need any help.

20. cfpkiller

cfpkiller Member

nah..922r isnt an issue unless you make it one.....probably wasnt even on the radar until you started asking about it.