Taurus Judge trigger???

Discussion in 'Handguns, Pistol Shooting' started by jp8819, Nov 25, 2012.

1. jp8819

jp8819 Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

Have a older lady with a Taurus Judge trying to help and she likes the gun but struggles with the stiff trigger pull since she has lost some of the fine motor skills and strength in their shooting hand and arm. Didn't know if any of you all know of a way to lighten up the trigger with out taking it for a full blown trigger job or trading guns. She can handle the SA trigger pull fine but struggles to pull the hammer back, cock it to shoot it SA and the DA trigger is stiff to her. Just looking for thoughts or Ideas what she could try before moving to a different gun and still keeping it safe. Surprising but she handles the recoil fine.

2. Keltyke

Keltyke Registered Member

See if Wolff has a spring set for it, and take it apart and polish everything in there nice and smooth.

3. Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

What he said try Wolff springs, add one of there kits.

Most gunsmiths should have them and be able the drop them in.

4. Keltyke

I know it's a last resort, but I'm going to suggest a gun change. A small semi, like a Bersa .380, seems like that's whats needed. Once you rack the slide (easy on this one), you can use the drop hammer safety and carry one in the chamber. The first shot is DA and the rest are SA. Or, you can leave the safety on and the first round will also be SA after you flick it off. With modern ammo, the .380 is a viable self defense caliber.

5. gator45

gator45 Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

I wanted a Judge Defender when they came out until I went to buy one. Pulled the trigger and walked out of the shop with a new Colt Officer Model. Its a shame to spend over 500 bucks for a pistol and do a 100 dollar trigger job to it to make it shoot.

6. jp8819

jp8819 Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

Thanks for the tips I will look into it for her. I would push toward a different gun except she likes it for nice snake or varmint gun with the 410 shells. Might have to find some rat shot for a different gun to take care of her wants for a snake gun .

7. Shortfuze

Shortfuze U. S. Military
    Club Subscribed

I second this the bersa is a wonderful choice.

8. gator45

gator45 Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

Go see Andy the gunsmith at Colfax Guns. He will give you the trigger pull she wants.

9. wemoodydc

wemoodydc Registered Member

If she's having trouble with a double action trigger, is she going to have the strength and dexterity to manipulate a slide on a semi?

10. jp8819

jp8819 Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

Doubtful is one reason I have not pushed her that way even though the bersa would be a good choice. I like the simplicity of a revolver for her as well since if it does not fire you can just pull the trigger again. If I can get the revolver to fit her needs and be reliable for a reasonable price I would like to stick with it. I ll give the wolf spring option a try first.

11. Keltyke

With a semi like the Bersa, she only has to rack the slide once, and this little gun is a cinch to rack. I'll repeat - With the drop hammer safety and the DA/SA feature, she can safely carry one in the chamber and be ready to shoot at a second's warning. You do have a point concerning the simplicity of a wheel gun. Since she wants an SD weapon and a snake gun combined, your choices are limited. BTW - did you know you can buy shotshells in .38 spcl., and other revolver calibers?