Thinnest iwb/owb holster for M&P shield

Discussion in 'Handguns, Pistol Shooting' started by Corysxj88, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Corysxj88

Corysxj88 New Member

So I got a little Foxx holster for my SCCY for Christmas and I love it, but it made me realize that the SCCY is not he best concealed carry gun for me. I'm a skinny guy and I wear tighter clothes and it seems to be a little thick for me when concealing it. I have chosen to get my hands on a M&P shield 9mm as my EDC. Question is, I am looking for the thinnest or holster with the least amount of material to conceal the shield nicely for a guy my size. I usually wear mine at the 4-5 o clock position. I am also looking for a nice key des only owb holster for the shield as well....any suggestions????

2. Wahoo95

Wahoo95 Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

A horsehide hybrid will be the thinnest next to a Vanguard from Raven Concealment

3. Silver_Bullet

Staff Member Club Subscribed

4. jjwestbrook

jjwestbrook Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

check out guardian concealment I usually wear mine under a t shirt

5. Mossjaw

Mossjaw Hall of Shame

Crossbreeds are thin & very comfortable. I carried a Glock 17 in one for a while. I recently bought a Bianchi "Remedy" OWB. I really like it. It holds the weapon close to your body. I have no problem concealing a Glock 19 with my shirt untucked.

I'm not sure about holsters for the Shield. I've never had one but I'm sure there's tons of options out there. They're really popular. Good luck finding what you need!

6. toddje

toddje Staff

I second the motion. I carry my Shield in a Guardian (and shoot IDPA that way on occasion). It's not THE thinnest, but it holds the gun perfectly.

7. drypowder

drypowder Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

I like kydex-only holsters for IWB. Hybrids are more comfortable for all day wear, but can't beat kydex-only for thinness.

8. educatedfool

educatedfool Sponsor

G-Code makes an INCOG.... best IWB holster I've ever worn

9. gunbelt

gunbelt Fat Boy Belts

I'm offering a new slimline holster (a tad under 1 1/4" thick) that is a hybrid style harness leather backer, with a leather lining that is very easy on the finish of your handgun. I was carrying in a kydex hybrid my Colt Officers stainless model & noticed the damage to the finish. So I'm offering my new line of holsters. I have 5 shield models to ship this week. As with all my gear satisfaction guaranteed or your money back.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  10. Alexap

Alexap Vendor
    Club Subscribed

I've found that with careful molding and using the whole gun for retention instead of just the triggerguard that wear is no different than the leather rigs. Plus mine are thin, ultra comfortable, and reliable. Hundreds of customers wear them everyday. It's nice to see another builder with a money back guarantee, hopefully that'll cut down on the fly by nighters that I've seen over the years.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  11. jp8819

jp8819 Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

Look at rgrizzle holsters, i have one of his city slicker models and to me is great for a slimmer person and on and off is easy. Even better than the crossbreed i have. Only downside is lead time and price but well worth it. If you go the hybrid route check out some of the forum sponsors.

12. ROCKKRAWLER4X4

ROCKKRAWLER4X4 Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Check out aliengearholsters.com can't beat the price I love mine I carry xds and I got a aliengearholsters for the wife for Christmas for her s&w shield she loves it as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. gunbelt

gunbelt Fat Boy Belts

Also with leather-lined hybrids your draw & reholster will be quiet if that makes a difference. I'd also be interested to know thicknesses of other holsters. If the thickness difference is 1/8" or so I wouldn't think that would make a difference except maybe for the ladies as they tend to wear snugger pants.

Curt

14. Corysxj88

Corysxj88 New Member

Im digging the INCOG. not much material...which is what I am after.

15. Behindyou

Behindyou New Member

I second Guardian Concealment - I use one for my XDS and Sig P220 Compact.

16. Wahoo95

Wahoo95 Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

Don't let the material fool ya like it did me. The hybrid design is hard to beat for comfort. All that material keeps it thin and spreads the weight and pressure of the gun over a wider area making for a more comfortable carry. I resisted trying hybrids for years because I felt like it was too much material. Once I tried one my preconceptions were changed.

17. Corysxj88

Corysxj88 New Member

I guess I look at it since I am a thin guy, I feel more material is going to be noticeable. I was wearing my little Foxx holster last night around the house and unless I am wearing a jacket or hoodie....I can't really conceal it the way Id like it to be...I print like a mofo. now maybe, stepping down to something thinner like an M&P shield from a SCCY cpx-2 will help some....I can easily conceal the gun with no holster with no problem.

18. BurnedOutGeek

BurnedOutGeek SlayerNut - RIP
    Staff Member

That's the ticket!

19. Silver_Bullet

The problem with all kydex is comfort. It wears hard against your side. Unless it's molded to the shape of you body, the hard non bending edges will stick out more under the shirt.

The positive about some all kydex designs is that they are faster to get on and off, if you need to take the holster on and off a lot. Me, I just remove the gun nowadays, and keep the holster on.

I'm looking at my hybird and an all kydex at the moment, and the kydex back is not thinner than the horsehide backing. So I don't believe the all Kydex is thinner.

As far as holster wear of kydex, I put a pm9 in one for 2 years every single day made by alexap and carried it from the time I woke up until I went to bed, Practiced drawing often. Hardly no wear on the pistol. The inside of the kydex is slick and, as a vendor stated above,
    So if you use an experienced kydex holster maker, that knows how to make these (and I'm guessing we have a few on CSC), you don't have to worry about increased holster wear vs leather.

I just know what I have experienced for carry holsters over the last 4 years. I've tried about all styles, leather, all kydex, soft and cheap one, galco's and other brands, but the hybrid style has been the absolute best comfort and concealment.

With CSC vendors like Alexap and Gunbelt standing behind their products with a money back guarantee, it's crazy not to give something a try.

As far as an 1/8 inch is concerned, I give up capacity by taking a single stack over a double stack trying to get thin, I sure don't want to add the 1/8 inch back. That's just my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  20. Corysxj88

Corysxj88 New Member

This is how I feel. Im giving up a 10 rnd double stack to a single stack for this very reason....