Turkey Shoot Guns

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by snipin101, Nov 9, 2010.

1. snipin101

snipin101 Registered Member

Turkey shooting comps are going all around my house. So lets see some of them turkey guns. Ill start H&R topper 158 with 32inch barrel, full choke.

[​IMG]

2. turkeydance

turkeydance Registered Member

only last 4 inches count

since everything on the internet is 'true':
    i've seen information about shotgun chokes
    which state that barrel length is not a factor.
    only the Last Four Inches before the muzzle
    determine the choke. so, according to this,
    an XX-full turkey-shoot gun
    could have an 18" barrel.

3. brios

brios Hall of Shame

since im no expert it would make since but yet the longer the barrel the more accuracy i would suspect since its basically a smooth bore with shot in it but i think the long barrel has a role in all of this since ive never seen a
    18.5" with choke tubes come from a factory and the 870 has been around for a long while and they still use 26"+ length barrels with rem chokes to this day for all of there turkey guns

but im no expert but maybe a someone else knows the truth of the matter

will post pics soon but my turkey gun is either my
    old 20ga stevens pump or my trusty 12ga 870 express super mag.

4. Lysander

Lysander New Member

When slower burning black powder was used in shotgun shells extra barrel length did translate to more range. With the longer barrel, a higher percentage of the powder would ignite creating more thrust behind the shot stream. Today's smokeless powder burns so fast that barrel length is not a factor with regard to pattern or range.

5. snubbie

snubbie New Member

I've got a Savage mod 94 single shot with a 30" full choke. Bought it brand new for $50, it was the first "real" gun I ever owned. The first turkey shoot I ever shot in I won a canned ham right off the bat. That was so easy I proceeded to shoot multiple other times without a win...which rendered that ham rather expensive! Never much participated in many more shoots that I remember.
    But man, the doves I shot with that gun and thousands of rounds I put through it....

That H&R of yours has a pretty piece of wood on the stock.

6. snipin101

snipin101 Registered Member

turkey shoot

Thanks I finished the wood myself. I was told that the more you can slow your shot down the more it helps tighten the group. Some guns have wad stopper rings in them to even slow down the shot that much more. The longer the barrel is also gives the shot more time to kind of group inside a little better before it comes out.

7. eflat7

eflat7 New Member

Ive got an 870 Wingmaster with 36 inch barrel. Il put a pic up later!

Attached Files:

8. Joe30045

Joe30045 Registered Member

Remington 11-87 with a 28" barrell and a modified choke.

9. 9outof10mms

9outof10mms Resident "Nice" Enginerd

Without diving in to the science behind it all, I have to disagree on the grounds of my gut feeling (and it's a BIG feeling)...a longer barrel must make a difference.

I've got an H&K FP6 that comes stock with a 20" barrel and a modified cylinder choke. It was never a good option for shooting clays with, presumably due to the short barrel length. I bought a 28" barrel with the same choke, and now the gun is a contender. Maybe it's got more to do with the shooter's ability to aim a longer barrel than it does the barrel affecting the shot...but a longer barrel IS worth something on a shotgun.

This is a perfect homebrew MythBusters experiment!

10. rantingredneck

rantingredneck Staff - Purveyor of Kydex Staff Member

I have a Mossberg 500 with an 18.5" accuchoke barrel from the factory (a factory overrun on an order for the US Marshal's Service).

I have a Remington 870 20 ga with an 18.5" Remchoke factory barrel (a youth gun)

I have a Remington 870 12 ga with a 20" Remchoke factory barrel

I have a Remington 11-87 with a 21" Remchoke factory barrel.

Remington has in the last few years started producing 18.5" 12 ga. barrels with Remchokes (their "tactical" line comes so equipped with a breaching choke).

Re: busting clays, a longer barrel allows you to swing more smoothly and thus be more successful in your followthrough. The longer sight plane also aids accuracy.

Here's what Remington's tech folks have to say on barrel length and pattern/range:

11. rantingredneck

I haven't been to a turkey shoot in years, but from what I've seen at turkey shoots there's a high level of customization in dedicated shoot guns.

Theoretically a man could take a 32" full choke or x-full choke barrel and have it backbored and make a helluva gun that would outshoot anything with a screw in choke.

Generally speaking barrels that are fixed choke will have a more gradual taper in the choke and will have less deformed shot and theoretically more consistent patterns. Screw in chokes, while convenient, are necessarily shorter than the choke taper of a fixed choke barrel and give a harder, more abrupt transition from full cyl bore diameter to the choke diameter resulting in the likelihood of more pellet deformation.

12. 9outof10mms

Right, but there's still a high level of random luck involved...especially since everyone shoots the same (cheap) ammo. The one turkey shoot I've ever been to had probably 50+ shooters...most, like me, without a "dedicated" turkey shoot gun, others with ridiculously modified or specific turkey shoot guns that didn't look practical for anything else! There weren't many repeat winners.

13. rantingredneck

Indeed, it's a game of millimeters and that last millimeter or so is probably more dependent on a butterfly flapping his wings in Hong Kong than the degree of taper or constriction in your choke tube, or barrel length.

14. Shortbus

Shortbus Club Subscribed

When my daughter was 10 years old she won a ham with a .410. Only 9 pellets hit the target but one of them was dead center.

15. 9outof10mms

And that is what Ironically makes these fun! In the same sense that shooting IPDA is fun, your equipment only gets you part of the way there. There's still other factors involved that make up more of the percentage chance of winning (in this case, pure luck!).

16. eflat7

eflat7 New Member

Do you shoot at State Line in Laurinburg? I have been there once or twice and really like that guy that runs it.