Wally World ammo shortage?

Discussion in 'Handguns, Pistol Shooting' started by Noway2, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Noway2

Noway2 Member

The last two times, yesterday and two weeks ago, I went to WW to see if I could get a couple of boxes of 9mm for target practice. Both times they were out of everything except Tula with steel cases.

The clerk said that people have been buying it like crazy. A few came in and bought the limit (6 boxes) then getting their spouse to buy 6 more. Supposedly they will have more on Wednesday, but this is getting ridiculous.

I finally broke down and ordered some online. With any luck it will be here this week.

I'm also going to get a .22 for practice + fun. They still had boxes of that in stock.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

2. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Staff Staff Member

Shoot that Tula, then clean your gun. It's cheap and OK for Plinking.

3. jcalvinmarks

jcalvinmarks Not Subscribed

It's possible he's going to an indoor range that doesn't allow the steel-case ammo. I know Eagle1 in Raleigh doesn't; drives me nuts.

I too have noticed that the selection at Wal-Mart seems to be a bit thin at times, but I don't think there's anything new or unusual about that. I think it's more of a Wal-Mart issue than an ammo availability issue. That's the thing with Wal-Mart; you pays your money, you takes your chances.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire Member

People are getting scared with the election coming up. Ammo isn't the only thing people will be stocking up on. I'm not an expert but I think you'll see a slwoing in the economy as people become more unsure about what the election will bring. I know I've already seen it in local businesses that I deal with regularly.

5. cranbiz

cranbiz Club Subscribed

The wally world at Brier Creek has plenty of ammo, which is a change from 2 weeks ago. They now have 100 round boxes of 40 S&W in Remington and WWB along with plenty of other pistol and rifle calibers. The only issue is almost everything went up a buck or 2. WWB went from 32.97 to 34.97 and the new Remington is 36.97. I wish they would get back in the Federal 100 count at 26.97 but I'll bet I'm wishing.

6. NCPatrolAR

NCPatrolAR New Member

This

Shooters are their own worst enemy with these bouts of panic buying

7. GrnRanger

GrnRanger New Member

Noway2, not sure where you are located, but I've found that if you can shop at a WW on the outskirts of town (as opposed to a big city like here in Raleigh), you may have a better chance of finding what you need. I've found that the case on more than one occasion. I've also seen WW very hit-and-miss, sometimes they are stocked to the brim, other times mostly empty (Tula included)

8. CJohnson76

CJohnson76 Guest

My Walmart never has ammo. They are always low on stock. The sad part is most of the employees in the sporting goods dept, cant tell you ANYTHING about ammo or rifles at my store. I had one gentleman (30ish) tell a younger guy(21-25ish) that he was almost certian that a pistol chambered in 9mm Luger would cycle and use .380 ammo, it just wasn't as powerful...ugh. Yeah, needless to say when I corrected him, he asked"who works here, me or you?" I had to restrain myself....

9. Luke Cage

Luke Cage Hall of Shame

All the onese here has less ammo. People are stocking up just like last election time.

10. sr30

sr30 Wings of Gold 1990

I usually find the Tula 9mm is a somewhat rare find. I can usually find 7.62x39 except yesterday they were down to 5 boxes here in statesville.

I don't usually buy anything other than Tula.

11. swhiteh3

swhiteh3 Registered Member

They had some great prices, but I've stopped even trying to go there. 75% of the time I'd go over there, willing to buy any and all of several different calibers/types that I KNOW they usually carry, and still walk out empty-handed. It's not worth the frustration. I'll just mail-order if they don't want my business.

12. Noway2

Noway2 Member

I'm located in High Point, with my preference being for the N. Main St store. I've noticed having better luck stopping mid week in Burlington/Elon on my way home.

This time I'm trying mail order, which is comparable by the time you factor in lower price, no tax, but add shipping.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

13. spoonsports86

spoonsports86 Member

this is true i hardly every see any 50 or 100 count 9mm federal ammo at walmart any more

i did see a few boxws of the 22lr might have to go get those tonight when i get off work

14. Mr. Warren Peace

Mr. Warren Peace U. S. Military

If you don't mind heading a few miles south, check out Salisbury's Walmart. They usually have a decent amount of ammo.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  15. 613jmm

613jmm U. S. Military

Aside from 9mm (when you can find the ~$20 100 round value packs), I have always found ammo to be cheaper when ordered on-line in bulk quantities. Either 500 round or 1000 round cases.

16. backwoodsshooter

backwoodsshooter OEF 10-11

It's like fishing, you just keep searching till you find your spot. I found my spot and it's almost a hour and a half away. They always have in stock what calibers I'm looking for. Tho it tulammo but i don't complain.

17. whoknows

whoknows Member

Walmart in Kernersville had plenty when I went today.

18. joeface

joeface Lifetime Member

Normally yes, but they haven't had any 223 or 9mm for quite some time now. You can now find an abundance of 380 and 7.62 x 39 (tula) along with .40 and even .45ACP. I work not far from there and find myself having to stop there on the way home.

19. B00GER

B00GER Club Subscribed

The gun rack has PMC 9mm for $10.99 or so.

20. Midliferally

Midliferally Club Subscribed

The WW in Fuquay is always cleaned out of 9, 45 and 223. It's borderline ridiculous.