WRAL makes NC CCW permit holder information available via online search tool.

Discussion in 'Firearms related News and Political topics' started by cucamelsmd15, Jul 12, 2012.

1. cucamelsmd15

cucamelsmd15 Registered Member

I hate for my first post here to be something of this nature, but guys, this makes me really angry.

http://www.wral.com/news/state/nccapitol/story/11295888/

You can narrow down CCW holders addresses in just a few minutes if you try. Ive written WRAL, and they arent willing to remove the link.

Please complain and do it loudly and to the right people. Ive passed this information along to the NRA and to my representatives. Please do the same. This didnt work out well for the Roanoke Times in 2007, and Id like to see the same here.

2. HTP

HTP Guest

Is it only searching that area? I could not find my info in doing a search and don't live in that area.

3. SPST

SPST Member

It didn't bring up my name when I tried the search.

4. Midliferally

Midliferally Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

The search brought up my wife and I.

5. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Staff Member
    Staff Member

would you mind reposting the reply here? It sounds like something for us to pursue.

6. johnnyreb

johnnyreb Member

F this it showed me and my wife It doesn't give names but it gives streets I am not happy.

7. trcubed

trcubed Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Didn't bring up my name or address, just street names and town when I searched under my zip code. No specific address.

8. jloverman3

jloverman3 Not Subscribed

I think it may be the WRAL viewing area. Tried different counties not in viewing area of WRAL and showed no listings.

9. RFMan

RFMan Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

It does not bring up names or house numbers, but it does bring up street names, dates of issue and dates of expiration. Live on a short street? Only one on a street? Helloooooo, target.

No real use for anyone...except a tool for burglars to narrow down their targets. What an assumption of liability this appears to be. A resistance to removing the link means that WRAL does not care what kind of hassle they cause the law-abiding, who just happen to disagree with them...

10. Charles

Charles Club Subscribed
    Club Subscribed

Didn't find me. But still unbelievable that it would find anyone. Absolutely absurd.

11. Luke Cage

Luke Cage Hall of Shame

No names when I did a search, just dates of issue on a particular street.

12. HTP

HTP Guest

Some of you may remember 4-5 years ago some individual posted a web site that let you search the public NC CHP database. You could have your name filtered out of the database for a $20.00 fee. That site lasted a few weeks. I don't know if it was forced offline. The uproar at CSF was deafening. The information is public, but charging a fee to exclude your information from search results was their scam. I found myself in the database back then.

I imagine this time, through WRAL, the catch is that names are not being displayed? I dunno.

13. cucamelsmd15

It bring me up too, I am the only one on my street with one.

Also, these are the replies I received from the editor:

I replied:
    She replies again:
    Also, its not just the WRAL viewing area. I tried a few friends (whom I also emailed the link to). One is the solitary house on his road in Forsyth Co, his permit shows up. One in Goldsboro has numerous other CCW permit holders on his street, as in every house. One other in Durham county shows up, but about 25% of the people on his road have a permit (approximately 25 houses).

14. Brangus

Brangus Staff Member
    Staff Member

Sucks...........what a go WRAL. Very newsworthy.

Jerks

15. GrnRanger

GrnRanger New Member

I just saw this article too. I couldn't believe it. As others have pointed out, there's a big difference in taking the time/energy to go to your Sheriff's office and requesting this information, and just being able to put in a street name and zip code on a website and having any number of permit holders/gun owners pop up in the area. C'mon WRAL.

16. Noway2

Noway2 Member

My wife and I came up no records found. I tried a coworker and it showed 6 permit holders on the street. No names, no street number. I don't like it, but the info is pretty limited.

From a little googling, it looks like there WAS a site called notconcealed.com, but it has gone defunct.

Sent via mental telepathy

17. cucamelsmd15

I have written the NRA, and my representatives. I encourage everyone to do the same. Use this if you like:

Hi, I am writing to you because of this story:
    http://www.wral.com/news/state/nccapitol/story/11295888/
    The local news station WRAL has decided to see fit to publish the NC CCW holders database with names and street numbers redacted. This information still allows someone to be able to narrow down the houses where CCW holders lived easily, especially if choosing a road or private drive with few houses. I believe this to be an egregious violation of our rights. The database is public, but it requires a request made in person at the local sheriff or NCDOJ where the requester information is documented. Now that information has been made public online.

Thank you for your consideration in helping the CCW holders of NC with this issue.

18. SPST

SPST Member

You should probably send the same letter to Grass Roots NC.

19. cucamelsmd15

Done, thanks.

20. NicerInPerson

NicerInPerson Zombie Task Force
    Lifetime Member

Send a note back to Kelly and ask if she would want to see her street in Mebane to be displayed on a website and whether she thinks that might be a danger to her and Justin. Tell her she's got a neighbor somewhere on Frazier Ridge who's got a permit. And remind her that information being available to public online search makes every house on her street a target to criminals in search of firearms to steal.