Thread: Help me put a target crown on my barrel Gastonia/Charlotte

Help me put a crown on my barrel Gastonia/Charlotte

Subscribe to Remove Post Ads (Also enjoy site upgrades, unlimited photo storage, 1,000 private messages, and more!)
    I cut my mosin barrel down to 22 inches and would like to get a target (recessed) crown on it. Anyone close to Gastonia or Charlotte that could help me out? I'm in college and tight on money so Im not sure if going to a gunsmith is a available option.
    Last edited by mmaattppllaayy; 08-07-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Actually guys it would be easier to just do a 11 degree crown. So if anyone could do that in the Charlotte area that would be great. I would need a 90deg facing cutter to make 100% square then a 11 deg crown cutter after that. Please help me out guys.

If you are really desperate for a crown Bubba and I have done a few with a Dremel tool and yes we need the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Duster View Post
    If you are really desperate for a crown Bubba and I have done a few with a Dremel tool and yes we need the practice.
    No thanks all I need is someone that has a 90deg facing bit and a 11 deg crowning bit.

I'll be back in town soon. I'm sure we can work out something. If you're really in a pinch for it and need it now you can contact dave tooley (google him, he's great and in gastonia)
    Like and follow us on FaceBook
    Carolina Tactical's Matches, Classes, and Gear

Your Home for Vortex Optics - Contact us for CSC Specials!

Carolina Tactical Group's Wind Dummies - Precision Rifle Shooting Team
    Long Range Enthusiast and Shooting Coach

What caliber???
    I finally thought of something but before I could write it here I forgot it......

It's a mosin so 30 caliber plus prob a cleaning patch around the pilot.

I can't guarantee a fit but I have 30 cal pilots for my facer and crown cutter if you want to drive to Kannapolis. PM me if interested....
    I finally thought of something but before I could write it here I forgot it......

shouldn't cost you more than $40 or so from a gunsmith. Not exactly a budget buster even for a broke joker like myself.

I have 2 chopped mosies, believe me, you want a nice crown if you want it accurate.
    -If guns kill people, spoons made Michael Moore and Rosie O'Donnel fat!

I am still looking for someone to help me out in the Charlotte or surrounding area to put a normal 11deg crown on my mosin.

anyone? Really need some help

Bump. Anyone able to help. Already contacted Dave tooley. He wasn't able to help me.

Saw it off with a hacksaw; file the end smooth and flat; use a brass screw with lapping compound to recess and polish the hole. Finish it all off with some 200 grit emory cloth. I did this on 22-250 to chop 3 inches and it still shoots 1/2" at 200 yards. Worst case you loose a couple of hours if you're not satisfied, and then you pay someone the same to finish with a reamer.

Not Subscribed Senior Member
    ^What CharlieNC said.^ His method is simple and can provide very good results. You'll be proud of your accomplishment when done.

I am up in Asheville, we can do the job, with a bit of pre planning while you wait.
    We just did a SKS cut down recrown this week.

Quote Originally Posted by mmaattppllaayy View Post
    I am still looking for someone to help me out in the Charlotte or surrounding area to put a normal 11deg crown on my mosin.
    Phil Flack
    Asheville, NC

Quote Originally Posted by pfcustom View Post
    I am up in Asheville, we can do the job, with a bit of pre planning while you wait.
    We just did a SKS cut down recrown this week.
    Thanks for the offer. I would love to be able to meet you guys thats just a really long drive for me to go on. Wouldnt want to loan me the cutting bits if I sent a deposit would you. Unless you used a lathe to do it.

I don't want to loan or rent it out...we use it too much. By the time we shipped it back and forth. How about you just shop us the barrel action and I'll crown it for you $35 includes return shipping.
    Phil Flack
    Asheville, NC