Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.56 bolt action?

5.56 bolt action?

Subscribe to Remove Post Ads (Also enjoy site upgrades, unlimited photo storage, 1,000 private messages, and more!)
    I've got a craving for a bolt action rifle in 5.56, not in .223.

Maybe my Google powers are a little weak today, but all I can find is the Mossberg MVP. It's kinda neat, it's chambered for 5.56, and it takes AR mags.

But, it is a little bigger and bulkier than what I have in mind.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...cyvKcYrFXumfBQ

Do y'all know of any other manufacturers that offer a bolt gun in 5.56?
    You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

5.56 bolt action?

Cz 527?
    I believe in free men, free markets, the rule of law under the Founder's Republic and that the Constitution extends to everyone regardless of race, creed, color or religion. I most especially believe in the right of the people to keep and bear arms as the ultimate guarantor of liberty. - Mike Vanderboegh

http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/...-223-Bolt-Guns

Similar ish thread 2 or so months back. Hope it may help.

CJohnson76
    The MVP intrests me because of the AR magazine compatibility. I would like to get some serious bullet time with one. I have heard good things about them though...

Staff - Purveyor of Kydex Shootist Classified Feedback: 154 rantingredneck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Tagged for similar interests......

Quote Originally Posted by BurnedOutGeek View Post
    Cz 527?
    Still .223.

Wish it was 5.56 since I am running the .308 CZ. That would line up nicely.
    You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Quote Originally Posted by S&WNewb View Post
    http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/...-223-Bolt-Guns

Similar ish thread 2 or so months back. Hope it may help.
    Thanks, I had not seen that. Unfortunately it pretty much confirms my fears that Mossberg is the only major manufacturer making one right now, and it just doesn't fit the niche of what I am looking for.

Re: 5.56 bolt action?

The MVP would be nice if it had a 1:7 barrel. I like the idea of a 20 rd mag on a bolt gun

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
    I came into this world screaming and kicking covered in someone else's blood, I intend to go out the same way.

Yeah, apparently the Mossberg has a reputation for the stocks cracking as was mentioned in the other thread.

IF, they had an aftermarket synthetic stock available, I could see me buying one and having the barrel cut down shorter. Then it would fit the bill for what I am looking for.

For my use, I would be firing only 55gr. or 62gr. surplus ammo. So I don't really mind the 1:9 twist. But I need the rifle itself to be short and light.

Is it possible to finish-ream and open up a .223 Rem to .223 Wylde or 5.56 NATO?

CHRIS
    Life Member:
    National Rifle Association
    Gun Owners of America
    Grass Roots North Carolina
    North Carolina Rifle and Pistol Association

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS View Post
    Is it possible to finish-ream and open up a .223 Rem to .223 Wylde or 5.56 NATO?

CHRIS
    This is exactly what I had planned to answer this thread with. I imagine K. Lee or someone with the same knowledge can chime in on the possibilities of this.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS View Post
    CHRIS

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/130...amer-223-wylde
    and
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/897...eamer-556x45mm

Down side - not going to be cheap.

Plus you'd probably want to get some go/no-go gauges to go with it.
    I believe in free men, free markets, the rule of law under the Founder's Republic and that the Constitution extends to everyone regardless of race, creed, color or religion. I most especially believe in the right of the people to keep and bear arms as the ultimate guarantor of liberty. - Mike Vanderboegh

Date expected in stock: 12/16/2012

Seems popular.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para bellum

Thought there was a vendor with a rental service for a throating reamer for 5.56 nato... search around some of the AR forums...

If I was going to adapt a chamber for 5.56, I would probably start with a NEF Handi Rifle (I think thrillhill might have heard of those......) since the barrel blank for their .223 barrel is the same one as for their .45-70 barrel etc. Definitely going to be enough metal.

And yes, I realise it isn't a bolt-action.
    Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

+55 trader rating from CSF (although I think that is shy about 20 from what it was before they pulled the plug.....)

Quote Originally Posted by NCLivingBrit View Post
    If I was going to adapt a chamber for 5.56, I would probably start with a NEF Handi Rifle (I think thrillhill might have heard of those......) since the barrel blank for their .223 barrel is the same one as for their .45-70 barrel etc. Definitely going to be enough metal.

And yes, I realise it isn't a bolt-action.
    Go2Gbo.com (GreyBeard Outdoors) is a great place for anyone interested in Handi rifles (H&R/NEF)
    "Remember the first rule of gun fighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

I think the Tikka T3 is chambered for 5.56. Also Browning list their X-Bolt as 223/5.56.

i've shot a BUNCH of 5.56 from my rem700...never any pressure signs and the same mediocre accuracy you'd expect from a stock rem.

but, if you HAD to have a 5.56 compatible chamber....go buy a stevens 200 in .223...and have a local smith rechamber it to .223 wylde...win. if you have the cash, call up Jim at northland and buy a stevens or savage action from him (comes with trigger, barrel nut, trigger guard, screws) and have him get you a CBI with a wylde chamber and then throw that into the stock of your choice....you can find used/cheap HS precision's all day long.

Thrillhill, have you seem the new MVP rifles? They added a "predator" version. Comes with a different stock and a 18.5 in barrel. Looks like it could fit your needs nicely

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifl...predator/27714
    "Like a mustache with titties"

Quote Originally Posted by Derek8404 View Post
    Thrillhill, have you seem the new MVP rifles? They added a "predator" version. Comes with a different stock and a 18.5 in barrel. Looks like it could fit your needs nicely

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifl...predator/27714
    No, I had not seen that! That is what I'm looking for! Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast