Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Be careful if you shoot TulAmmo

Be careful if you shoot TulAmmo

Subscribe to Remove Post Ads (Also enjoy site upgrades, unlimited photo storage, 1,000 private messages, and more!)
    I buy Tula Ammo (appears to be the same thing as wolf, but in a differently marked box) at walmart to use as 9mm plinking ammo.

Now what I'm about to say may offend some of you. I do not clean the bore of my pistols after every range trip. I clean them after every 100+/- rounds fired. I shoot about 50 rounds through each pistol during a range trip, so I'm cleaning my pistols, every other trip.

On Sunday night I decide to check out my C775b. Its was currently loaded with my carry ammo, so I drop the mag, clear the chamber, and use a light to inspect the bore.

Scary sight! I saw light red surface rust starting to form in the barrel, starting at the muzzle and going in approximately 1 inch.

Needless to say it pissed me off. I cleaned the heck out of the pistol, and now the bore is mirror bright again. I caught it before any damage could be done. I checked my other 9mm pistol, and its bore is clean.

Will I stop shooting the cheap steel ammo? Probably not. but I'm going to start cleaning the guns that do shoot it after every range trip. And I wont put much faith in that "non corrosive primer" text on the box either.

Re: Be careful if you shoot TulAmmo

Good to know, as I am a cheap skate and shoot Tula a lot. I just shot a box of it at the last IDPA match I shot in. I clean my guns after every range trip anyway, but thanks for the heads up. It'll make me look every time now.
    "My fist must never become un-clinched, eternally prevailing against, I must endure the misfortune and bring starvation for those who hunger for my defeat!"

weird...i've shot a lot of it and NEVER clean my guns, any of them....ever, and haven't had any issues....i'll check again tonight though

That ain't rust ....its the cheap copper plating/jacket material from the bullet jackets. The primers aren't corrosive either.
    Last edited by Wahoo95; 09-27-2012 at 05:49 AM.

Call me an ammo snob but I won't put that cheap crap in a firearm I've worked hard and saved hard to own.

I've never had a problem with Tulammo in .223...will keep an eye open though, then again, I am a clean freak.

Tulammo is good in my book...dinging steel at 300 yards with $5 per box ammo makes me smile.
    So well live,
    And pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh
    At guilded butterflies

Quote Originally Posted by SCshooter57 View Post
    Call me an ammo snob but I won't put that cheap crap in a firearm I've worked hard and saved hard to own.
    ^ +100

Include me as well. Plus I never liked any ammo which has aluminum casings. Whether they are hard on a firearm's extractor is for debate but I rather use brass or nickel plated casings. Plus it can't be reloaded, right?

Quote Originally Posted by NCFlyfisher View Post
    ^ +100

Include me as well. Plus I never liked any ammo which has aluminum casings. Whether they are hard on a firearm's extractor is for debate but I rather use brass or nickel plated casings. Plus it can't be reloaded, right?
    Good thing Tula doesn't have Aluminium casings!
    Lucas Apps
    Editor at Triangle Tactical
    Host of the Triangle Tactical Podcast, available in iTunes, Stitcher, on the website.
    CSC Staff Writer

Quote Originally Posted by SCshooter57 View Post
    Ammo snob.

I don't see why not? What's it going to hurt? It's a little dirty, but shoots accurately enough.
    Lucas Apps
    Editor at Triangle Tactical
    Host of the Triangle Tactical Podcast, available in iTunes, Stitcher, on the website.
    CSC Staff Writer

Its just the "price" you pay to save a bit of money....if you clean each time out its not an issue.

We Sirs now have a truly tyrannical government that does not deserve our support nor warrant our obedience. Pirate 2012

Nothing wrong with Tula, Wolf, Brown/Silver/Golden Bear. Great for practicing on a budget. I have used all of the above in my AK. I don't intend to put expensive ammo in it.

If it's truly rust, CONTACT TULA. If it says "Non-Corrosive" they should at least refund or exchange your ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by GSRswapandslow View Post
    weird...i've shot a lot of it and NEVER clean my guns, any of them....ever, and haven't had any issues....i'll check again tonight though
    Not ever?

Well, hardly ever.
    Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.

--Gandalf

Just in case we've got the odd non-Gilbert and Sullivan fan around here:
    Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.

--Gandalf

While it's not really recommended, you can reload steel cases as long as it's boxer primed. I have done it, but lube the cases to help keep from damaging my dies.

I use them for lost brass matches.
    UTG PRO MILITIA

I dont know how to shoot well, but I know how to shoot often. Teddy Roosevelt

I've got a gen4 19 and I'm unsure of the round count, few thousand. All I can say is I replace the recoil spring when problems develop (first time was about 2500 rounds) and I'm on my 3rd recoil spring. The extractor looks just as good as the new one I have. Half or maybe more of those rounds were Tula.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you expect the world to be fair with you because you are fair, you're fooling yourself. That's like expecting the lion not to eat you because you didn't eat him.

I love Tula. I had problems recently with FTFs, maybe a bad lot but prior to that one trip and since, no problems at all.

Tula is great if your on the cheap and trying to hit the 1K mark in each caliber, other than HD ammo.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by 11B3XCIB View Post
    Not ever?
    I clean my cans, that's it

Quote Originally Posted by ForumSurfer View Post
    I've got a gen4 19 and I'm unsure of the round count, few thousand. All I can say is I replace the recoil spring when problems develop (first time was about 2500 rounds) and I'm on my 3rd recoil spring. The extractor looks just as good as the new one I have. Half or maybe more of those rounds were Tula.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What? You have to replace your Glock 19 spring after 2500 rounds? Are you actually having issues related to the recoil spring, or you just want to replace it??
    "Like a mustache with titties"

holy shit! rust on metal? who would have thought. just pop a round down the barrel its not gunna stick if u shoot alot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast