Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannon "Challenger"gun safe at Tractor supply?

Cannon "Challenger"gun safe at Tractor supply?

Subscribe to Remove Post Ads (Also enjoy site upgrades, unlimited photo storage, 1,000 private messages, and more!)
    Does anybody here have one of these that can comment on them?
    None of my local TC stores have them in stock but can get me one in 3 days.
    $499 seems to be a very good price, I just can't put my eyes on them in the store to see the quality.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/cannon-...pacity-1027670
    Snal~
    Certified Ruger Nut
    TOP Trading Post LLC

I have one that I bought several years ago. It lays out nice and has worked well for me. I would recommend one, can't beat it for the price.
    AKA Lew-G17

Yes I have one only mine has the electronic lock. This was my first safe and i am very happy with it. Ive owned it for about 3-4 years and aside from one of the shelves breaking I haven't had any issues. Sur their are nicer safes out there, but not for that price

A friend of mine bought one last year. It was the big wide one that's 999.99 now. I think they mark em down to 699 on Black Friday. Or they did last year anyway. It's an ok safe. Not as heavy as I'd like. His huge one only weighed about 600lbs
    "The road to hell is paved with the best of intentions"

Not a bad safe for the money. Like said above they usually put them on sale or other safes on sale on black friday and will give you a rain check if they are not in stock that day.

Trying to decide between the Cannon and the Field and Stream at Dick's for $549. I currently have a F&S and am happy with it. The F&S is also the same size as my current safe, which would satisfy the fact that I'm anal about such things. The Cannon is 5" taller and 3" more shallow front to back...which would be ok as I plan to use it primarily for handguns.
    Snal~
    Certified Ruger Nut
    TOP Trading Post LLC

Im waiting on the list for mine. I got a rain check for the labor day sale and they said I would receive it on the 24th of Sept. obviously that didnt happen. I went back down yesterday and they said they are back ordered with about 1000 of them yet. They said it might be 6 months before I get it. Good luck trying to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't have one, but will definitely be looking into getting one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read.

Lowes hardware has the Fatboy Jrs.
    Wanted
    22 mag ammo
    Land
    Benelli M4
    MP5

I have been doing a lot of research on this subject lately as I'm getting ready to take the plunge. My response is you get what you pay for. IMHO, I would classify this as more of a gun cabinet than a safe. But it is a good price. I wouldn't trust it with my Rugers!

I don't have that particular safe, but it looks like they skimped on the thickness (notice it isn't stated what gage it is) to bring the price down. I have a Winchester which is similar in size, 22x30x59, and it weighs almost 200 pounds more. Also, mine is a claimed to be a 24 gun safe, which it certainly is not. I know none of them really hold the stated capacity, but if mine isn't, I think calling that one you are a looking one is really a stretch.

The similar size Winchester is about $200 more, but if I were to buy another one in that price range, I would go with the Winchester based on my experience with my current one. And even though it costs more, the locking system (more pins) is much beefier. I can also vouch for these electronic locks. I bought mine in 2004 or 2005 and I have never had a problem with mine. I was nervous going electronic, but I am not worried about it now.

Quote Originally Posted by 613jmm View Post
    I don't have that particular safe, but it looks like they skimped on the thickness (notice it isn't stated what gage it is) to bring the price down. I have a Winchester which is similar in size, 22x30x59, and it weighs almost 200 pounds more. Also, mine is a claimed to be a 24 gun safe, which it certainly is not. I know none of them really hold the stated capacity, but if mine isn't, I think calling that one you are a looking one is really a stretch.

The similar size Winchester is about $200 more, but if I were to buy another one in that price range, I would go with the Winchester based on my experience with my current one. And even though it costs more, the locking system (more pins) is much beefier. I can also vouch for these electronic locks. I bought mine in 2004 or 2005 and I have never had a problem with mine. I was nervous going electronic, but I am not worried about it now.
    I looked at the Winchester of the same capacity while I was at TS...with the door latched there was at least 3/8" play in the door...they were all that way (5 of them). The cannons on display had no play.
    Snal~
    Certified Ruger Nut
    TOP Trading Post LLC

Snal. Check out patriot safes I line while you're at it. I have never found a better safe for the money than those.

And they are drop shipped to your door. The delivery guy will generally help you get it in place if you spot him a 20.
    Discount Chad's Warmonger Emporium
    For all your surplus needs
    http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/...onger-Emporium

Quote Originally Posted by snal View Post
    I looked at the Winchester of the same capacity while I was at TS...with the door latched there was at least 3/8" play in the door...they were all that way (5 of them). The cannons on display had no play.
    Do you mean forward and back play? Like opening/closing play? I don't see how that indicates anything quality wise. If you mean overall play in the whole door, I find that hard to believe, as I am sure the doors weigh in excess of 100 lbs alone. It would seem someone would have to put a hell of some muscle into getting them to display that kind of play, and again, I'm not sure that would be indicative of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 613jmm View Post
    Do you mean forward and back play? Like opening/closing play? I don't see how that indicates anything quality wise. If you mean overall play in the whole door, I find that hard to believe, as I am sure the doors weigh in excess of 100 lbs alone. It would seem someone would have to put a hell of some muscle into getting them to display that kind of play, and again, I'm not sure that would be indicative of anything.
    This was play in and out when the door was locked. Like I said, the Cannons had no play, and my Field and Stream doesn't either. I even asked the guy there if there was some sort of gasket that hadn't been installed...there wasn't. With that kind of play I don't see how they could have any sort of fire rating.
    Snal~
    Certified Ruger Nut
    TOP Trading Post LLC

Quote Originally Posted by snal View Post
    This was play in and out when the door was locked. Like I said, the Cannons had no play, and my Field and Stream doesn't either. I even asked the guy there if there was some sort of gasket that hadn't been installed...there wasn't. With that kind of play I don't see how they could have any sort of fire rating.
    There is a seal around the perimeter of the door opening. When it heats up above a certain temperature, the seal swells and creates the fire rating, along with the gypsum board that lines the inside of the safe. All these types of safes are the same in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by diablos30 View Post
    go drake
    this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lifetime Member
    Shootist
    Classified Feedback: 92 WNC Seabee's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think Ruger is running a "buy 15 SR9's" and get a free safe coupon, so you should be looking for that.

I love my Liberty from Lowe's...$749 and I can cram 20 pistols and 15 longs guns in it without trouble. Unless my house is flooding, then it doesn't do a damn bit of good.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies.- C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by WNC Seabee View Post
    I think Ruger is running a "buy 15 SR9's" and get a free safe coupon, so you should be looking for that.

I love my Liberty from Lowe's...$749 and I can cram 20 pistols and 15 longs guns in it without trouble. Unless my house is flooding, then it doesn't do a damn bit of good.
    Did it get wet inside during the flood?
    Snal~
    Certified Ruger Nut
    TOP Trading Post LLC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast