Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok...this pisses me off!

Not Subscribed Pistoleer Classified Feedback: 1

Subscribe to Remove Post Ads (Also enjoy site upgrades, unlimited photo storage, 1,000 private messages, and more!)
    to me they're the most insidious type of tax, because it ultimately means you're only a property owner as long as you feed the troll under the bridge every year. Which means it's really the troll's house....
    Bingo.

My government scares me.
    Well, he's just an excitable boy...

Best advice to take from this mess: If the .gov has turned a blind eye to what you have been doing for 26 years, don't go on national t.v. and expect it to continue.

If it was just him living that way, they may have left him alone. But it is a business that folks pay to come learn stuff. This mean at least 2 things-1. you goning to have to pay taxes on income and pay for permits and lic. 2. you are going to have to meet a min. safety code for dealing with the public.

Again moral of the story: Keep your mouth shut and don't go on t.v.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny". Thomas Jefferson.

"We Americans got so tired of being thought of as dumbasses by the rest of the world that we went to the polls this November and removed all doubt." unknown

"You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves." Churchill

I'd like to see a list of the "illegal" things on his property. I'm sure there's a way around each one.

WE THE PEOPLE.......

where did it go? I'm with you SNAL and the other like minded people on this board. He was my favorite from that show Mountain Men, probably in part because he IS from NC, and the other is because he has a Quaker way about him.

The govt needs to leave him alone. They always quote "for public safety" BS. When are people gonna grow up and take some responsibility for themselves and stop having the govt spoon feed them??!!!??? I understand he has a school on HIS property. Have the people sign a waiver.
    I'm getting fed up with the govt putting their nose where it don't belong. I remember a king once did that to some colonies not that long ago...and well,....it didn't turn out well for the king!

DS
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!

1st CSC'r to see SNAL's entire RUGER collection!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Tuner View Post
    This man represents rugged individualism, and that makes the collectivist government "Big Brother" nervous. If it catches on, there will be more like him...and Big Brother can't have that. Nosir.

"You must conform and accept the collective, sir. We can't allow you to live on the fringes of this great society. Now, get in line and bleat like the rest of the sheep...and if you refuse...or if you lead any of the other sheep astray...you will suffer."

Amen. Today we are only allowed as much freedom as our government says we can have. And don't think of standing up to them, anyone that does that is quickly labeled as a radical, a terrorist even, that is dangerous to the American way of life.

I fear my government as well. Especially for my son.
    I will accept any rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by shrek View Post
    I fear my government as well. Especially for my son.
    My family and I have 122 days and a wake up. I bought the airlines tickets this afternoon.
    Soldier: "Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for?"
    Zapp Brannigan: "Don't ask me, you're the ones who are gonna be dying!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vinegar Joe View Post
    My family and I have 122 days and a wake up. I bought the airlines tickets this afternoon.

And I don't blame you one bit. I wish you and your family peace, freedom and prosperity. Things that you used to could find here...
    I will accept any rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - Robert A. Heinlein

Video is 404 for me but I'm pretty you fellas are talking about Eustace?
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin

I think most of his problems are due to the public school he is running. If he just wanted to live there they would probably grandfather him in.

I couldn't build a house with my bare hands on my own land in Chatham county without running afowl of the law. Housing codes should only pertain to retail builders so you know what you're getting, but you should be able to build whatever you want for yourself and live however you want. It's all about individualism vs the "common good". We've gone way too far towards the safe soft side, but that's what powers government and therefore government and those who constitute it seek unceasingly to expand their power and turn us even softer, needing them more.
    Last edited by Flashpoint; 03-02-2013 at 06:27 PM.
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." ~ Mark Twain

If he's running a business, then yes, he should be paying taxes. Why is he not set up as a non-profit, or some other type of "exempt" entity?

I'm surprised History Channel didn't pay him enough to cover the taxes.

But, yes, I am appalled at what our country's become & it's a damn shame folks can't just live out in the woods, how they want, 'long as they ain't botherin' nobody.
    If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think most of his problems are due to the public school he is running.
    Except that he's not running a public school. It's a private school that's open to the public. The public has a choice to attend...or not...and they pay for it. That qualifies it as a private school.

That it's open to the public is where the problem starts. If it's up to code...and code varies from one county to another...then the state assumes no liability if someone gets hurt. He could negate that by having the students sign a waiver.

In the beginning, building codes served a legitimate function. Centered mainly around fire district regulations for houses in close proximity, and plumbing...septic and health concerns. If it had stopped there, things would be fine. But, like any other government restriction, it evolved into a nitpicking, fee-grabbing, means of bleeding property owners to death.

There are some counties that require a building permit to add a pre-fab storage shed onto an existing property. My brother in-law...a Winston police officer...built three wooden steps from his patio leading into his carport. When the building inspector stopped by to sign off on his new water heater...also permit required...he gave him 72 hours to bring the steps up to code or dismantle them. The beef? He used the wrong nails and there was a quarter-inch too much overhang on the sides.

EDIT TO ADD:

Incidentally, his home is well outside the WS city limits in Tobaccoville...and no closer than 200 feet from the nearest neighbor.
    Last edited by 1911Tuner; 03-02-2013 at 09:06 PM.

USArmy 82-85, USMC 86-92 Gunslinger Classified Feedback: 54 jakerson9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Boyette View Post
    what if all the locals quit paying local taxes until his charges are dropped? What could they do then if ALL locals in the county, or just most stop supporting him. Once they back down then pay.

Its a simple idea.

John
    Interesting idea, John...

Heres one answer... (up to the dumb book advertisement at the end...)
    -John

Last edited by jakerson9; 03-02-2013 at 09:18 PM.
    * All firearms are always loaded. * Point firearms only at what you intend to shoot/destroy/kill. * Finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot * Be sure of your target and what is behind it *

Originally Posted by J.Boyette View Post
    what if all the locals quit paying local taxes until his charges are dropped? What could they do then if ALL locals in the county, or just most stop supporting him. Once they back down then pay.
    But they won't back down. They can't afford to open that particular can of worms. Instead, they'll make a horrible example of him. He's already on their radar...not because he's operating a school...but because of what he's teaching.

He's showing people how to live off the grid, and to wean themselves from Big Brother's benevolent, protective blanket. If he were teaching mountain crafts, they wouldn't have given him a second look. But, he's essentially teaching survivalism...and that's become a dirty word these days.

Property tax if I'm correct for the majorities part goes to pay for schools. If correct it's one of the taxes I can live with. Try to sell a house with no schools or bad schools.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=644&dateline=13615020 57[/SIGPIC]
    Infractions +3
    Bannings +2

The Dude Abides

From Fred Reed, one of my favorite writers:

A different America, a different culture. We really were free. You could come out of the house on a summer morning and let the dogs run loose in the fields, nobody ever having heard of a dog license. You could change the oil in your car or rewire your basement without the county meddling. You could shoot varmints eating your garden and no one cared. The government left you alone. This is not an unimportant part of the dispute over guns—wanting to be left alone. Nobody in America, ever again, is going to be left alone. Not ever.
    http://www.fredoneverything.net/Guns.shtml
    Soldier: "Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for?"
    Zapp Brannigan: "Don't ask me, you're the ones who are gonna be dying!"

Free thinkers and "individuals" are seen as a threat by our government. That's a shame since those kinds of people built this country and secured its freedom. The current so called crisis, the "sequester", is our current leaders attempt to remind us how much we need the government. I work in healthcare, so I am used to Medicare/Medicaid cuts resulting in staff numbers being cut and increased patient loads. I feel sorry for anyone affected by the "sequester, but we can't bow to the pressures exerted by our government in an attempt control our actions. We need to "hunker down" and ride this out. The Feds could make meaningful cuts, but choose to hurt us instead. I wonder how many days of furlough our congressmen, senators, and the so called president will take without pay. Sorry, got a little off subject there.

Free thinkers and "individuals" are seen as a threat by our government.
    Precisely.

The current so called crisis, the "sequester", is our current leaders attempt to remind us how much we need the government.
    Or rather to foster a sense of panic in those who already believe it...or for those who actually depend on it...by threatening to withhold funds that we paid into the system for years in the belief that the government could better manage our money than we can. In the beginning, Social Security was schmoozed as a "retirement" fund. When the SCOTUS ruled that it was a tax, the fund was essentially up for grabs, and Congress could access it for whatever reason that they could gather the votes to pass. Officers of private companies who do that with employees' retirement funds generally wind up in jail for embezzlement.

Social Security is little more than a giant Ponzi Scheme, played with impunity under color of law...enforced by the IRS and the might of the Federal Government. The Mafia could take lessons from these people.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12