Thread: Powder for .270/.30-06

Powder for .270/.30-06

Subscribe to Remove Post Ads (Also enjoy site upgrades, unlimited photo storage, 1,000 private messages, and more!)
    I'm slowly putting together the equipment needed to reload rifle ammo in these two calibers. What powders do ya'll recommend that will work well in both calibers?

I use Hogdon 4350 in my .270 and I am very pleased with it
    "The road to hell is paved with the best of intentions"

Thanks.... that was one of the ones I was interested in trying. I have an itch to load some 110gr Accubonds or some TTSX's. Anyone have any experience with them in the .270?

I use 130gr Sst's with 54gr of that powder behind em. Very accurate outta my deer rifle
    "The road to hell is paved with the best of intentions"

What kind of velocity are you getting with that load? What primers?

Check out the info at http://www.hodgdon.com/

You can get powder charge data for Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powders.

tons of data, pet loads, and opinions available online for .270 and .30-06. you're talking about two of the most popular, if not the top two, deer cartridges in america.

4895, 4350, 4831, 4064, Varget, the list goes on and on.

4831sc. i have had really good luck with 59gr pushing 130 grain bergers out of a 270.

Thanks for the responses.... Joker did you use the Berger on deer?

i did. i use the berger hunting vld's in every gun i hunt with now. they made a believer out of me. It took a little while to find the sweet spot with the seating depth and powder charge tho.

last deer i shot this year was a 8pt 18 inch wide buck. He had a pretty good size body. i shot him in the chest ( he was facing me) and the bullet had deep penetration. the bullet broke into pieces and looked like a bomb went off. if you are looking for something that will keep you from destroying meat then i would stay away from the bergers but 99 percent of my shots are side shots in the shoulder and the shoulders are aways tore up anyways

How do they perform at close range? Do they pass thru or blow up?

that 8pt in my last post was around 70 yards and it blew up

Give Reloader 22 a try. Great powder for that size case.

Anyone have experience with reloader 19? I saw some on the shelf of an lgs and found some loads in my manual for .270. Just curious about others experience.

+1 for NeuseRvrRat's post....all are an excellent choice of powder..capped with a Nosler 130 gr partition