Thread: S&w 686 ssr

S&w 686 ssr

Subscribe to Remove Post Ads (Also enjoy site upgrades, unlimited photo storage, 1,000 private messages, and more!)
    I have recently considered buying my first revolver and I am wondering what they are actually selling for. After a lot of reading, I am pretty sure it will end up being a 686 SSR (if I can find one).

My thought was to wait until the next GSO gun show, but I was not looking at wheel guns at the last one. Any chance of finding a 686 there for a decent price? Anyone see what they were charging last time?

New probably $700-750. It'll be one of the finest handguns you'll ever own. Look at the S&W Model 27. That's my favorite .357

Infractions +3
    Bannings +2

The Dude Abides

I would not mind one but the lock, I can not stand the lock on the gun...
    May end up with a custom made one to shave the weight off a 586 or 686 there is enough weight and barrel to play with.
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    You Can Have Mine!!!!
    FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!
    Live Free or Die! ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    www.nra.org
    www.n-ssa.org
    www.militaryappreciationday.org

OMG
    Obama Must Go

I paid $700 for mine, heavily used with a ton of accessories. Its a game gun only. That means federal primers.

Has yours had trigger work done or is the spring worn out? I have heard that if you go with a lighter spring then you have to go federal primers, but out of the box it should be able to use anything.

I'd agree that between $700 and $750 is a good price but anything over $800 I'd probably keep looking.

Another point to consider is during the panic S&W moved all their lines to almost exclusively ARs and M&Ps. So revolvers are hard to come by these days.

I own two Pro Series revolvers (627 and 625) and they are really great values. You'll enjoy it if/when you get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tizz986 View Post
    Has yours had trigger work done or is the spring worn out? I have heard that if you go with a lighter spring then you have to go federal primers, but out of the box it should be able to use anything.
    Yes. Its DAO and super smooth. It won't even consider igniting anything but federal primers.
    Game gun only for sure.