Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22lr ammo stockpile

22lr ammo stockpile

Subscribe to Remove Post Ads (Also enjoy site upgrades, unlimited photo storage, 1,000 private messages, and more!)
    One of my buddy's has been stock piling 22lr ammo, since the mid 80's. He currently has 1 ,5 gallon drum full of loose ammo ( well about a half inch from the top). So I have a couple of questions how many rounds do you think would be in there? What is the lifespan of loose rounds? What would be a fair paying price? This is a very mixed lot, I believe he purchased what ever he could find and tossed it in.

Thanks for your input!
    "It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat

I've shot loose 22 ammo from the 80's that was stored in the bottom of a closet. So long as the ammo was kept in a somewhat stable enviroment, it should be good to go.

With it being mixed, I'd be mad if I had to sort that mess out due to a finnicky gun. Most of my 22's will shoot whatever you put in them, so I'd be tickled pink to have that bucket o' fun.

But with price and value...sheesh, that is a bunch of loose ammo in a 5 gallon bucket. I haven't a clue.

If you expect the world to be fair with you because you are fair, you're fooling yourself. That's like expecting the lion not to eat you because you didn't eat him.

Value? I have no idea. There could be a dozen different ammo types in that bucket, all with different speeds, weights, coatings, etc. Accuracy will be hit or miss for sure. It would be great for plinking, but he would have been better served by keeping the ammo in its original boxes.

That said, as long as he kept the ammo dry and free from corrosion, its probably just fine. I shoot .22lr that was bought during Clinton's presidency all the time.

I would weight a thousand rounds, see what that weighs, and then weight the bucket empty and full and figure the quantity out that way. I would also just treat it all like bulk 22 nothing special as far as value, maybe even less because of it being so stirred up. I'd also probably end up sorting it at least by looks as best I could.

Quote Originally Posted by enewtonsc4 View Post
    I would weight a thousand rounds, see what that weighs, and then weight the bucket empty and full and figure the quantity out that way. I would also just treat it all like bulk 22 nothing special as far as value, maybe even less because of it being so stirred up. I'd also probably end up sorting it at least by looks as best I could.
    That would be about the only way to guess the count. With it being mixed, I wouldn't pay more than .05 per round. But judging by armslist and other sites...he would get more than .05 per. Like he said, the fact that it is mixed pretty much limits the ammo to plinking fodder. I'm ok with that because I shoot steel with my 22's pretty often. Hell if you were closer I'd go in half on the bucket with you.

If you expect the world to be fair with you because you are fair, you're fooling yourself. That's like expecting the lion not to eat you because you didn't eat him.

Ill give him a box of 9mm and a $20 bill for it all.
    So well live,
    And pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh
    At guilded butterflies

Somebody just weight a bulk box and send him the info and do the math. I'm guessing only 5 cent a round because if they were not stored properly only half may be useable

Quote Originally Posted by majicmike View Post
    Somebody just weight a bulk box and send him the info and do the math. I'm guessing only 5 cent a round because if they were not stored properly only half may be useable
    Loose in a sealed bucket, they're probably still good to go. I've shot some 22 from the 80's and the box was so damaged from humidity that it fell apart. You can always dump the ammo and look for water/humidity damage. What worries me more is not knowing what's in there. The old golden bullets sucked, and I'm willing to bet there's a few hundred in there.

They are stored in a food grade bucket that had the top on it, inside his home! I am trying to locate my reloading scale ( I hate moving!!) now maybe can come up with a rough guess. It is one heavy bucket!
    "It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat

Quote Originally Posted by Not A Robot v1.4 View Post
    They are stored in a food grade bucket that had the top on it, inside his home! I am trying to locate my reloading scale ( I hate moving!!) now maybe can come up with a rough guess. It is one heavy bucket!
    I'll come by with a ten year old, some guns and a pile of magazines. We'll lighten it right up

16,123 Rounds of 22lr

This is based on a bulk pack of Remington 550, is 39.4 cubic inches. There are 231 cubic inches per gallon, 5 gallon bucket. (231*5/39.4)*550

Its a little over 29 bulk packs of ammo.

I believe it's closer to 16'214.

I think it's closer to 29k...

∏*(0.224”)^2*0.985” oal 4 = 0.03882 cubic inches per bullet

5 gal * 231 cubic inches per gal = 1,155 cubic inches of bucket volume

# of bullets = bucket vol bullet vol = 1,155 0.03882 = 29,753 bullets, which doesn't account for the 1/2" at the top.
    Last edited by trcubed; 05-01-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. --Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by trcubed View Post

∏*(0.224”)^2*0.985” oal 4 = 0.03882 cubic inches per bullet

# of bullets = bucket vol bullet vol = 1,155 0.03882 = 29,753 bullets, which doesn't account for the 1/2" at the top.
    I doubt it, if it was you would be able fit 1014 rounds of 22lr in a 550rd brick.

Quote Originally Posted by trcubed View Post

∏*(0.224)^2*0.985 oal 4 = 0.03882 cubic inches per bullet

You are assuming there is no empty space between bullets...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonR View Post
    You are assuming there is no empty space between bullets...
    Agreed. As small as the individual bullets are, the interstitial space even smaller, tho. The more accurate way to measure is to weigh them like majic suggested.

Or you could pour water in with the bullets, then decant and weigh the water. Convert water weight to volume and subtract from 231 in3...that's the bullet volume...

I need a hobby.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. --Ayn Rand

My brain latched onto the fact that they're all sitting in a bucket. I wonder if there is a reason they weren't kept in the original boxes.

I just don't envision buying a brick of ammo and dumping the boxes into a bucket. Doesn't compute to the orderness my accountant pea-brain craves.

Nerds....

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367456976.788243.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  28.7 KB
    So well live,
    And pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh
    At guilded butterflies

Around 6500 loose fit in a 50cal can if that helps figure it out

Quote Originally Posted by B00GER View Post
    Nerds....

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367456976.788243.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  28.7 KB

Yes...but whatcherpoint?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast