----

Discussion in 'SC Concealed Carry' started by Inebriated, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Inebriated

Inebriated Active Member

---

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  2. fieldgrade

fieldgrade is gone Lifetime Member

I was headed to the same destination a few weeks ago and posted the same question here. I wasn't going anywhere but to mom's and to dinner, though.

The only noticeable difference from NC law that was posted up here was that they'll tolerate .05 BAC when you carry if I read the statute correctly. If you are .05 - .08 and involved in a shoot then BAC would be considered a possible factor.

.08 is max allowable behind the wheel there as I understand it.

3. NJSC

NJSC Member

If the sign doesn't meet the requirements it has no legal authority. Can't carry where alcohol is served. I'm not sure about the hotel, but my best guess would be that it is your dwelling because you are "renting" it to live in. I'm not entirely sure about the admission. Also from what I understand if it is public property you cannot carry so parks etc. are a no go.

4. phideux

phideux Active Member

Hotel/motel is considered your property when you rent it, so you are good to go there. Public property such as parks are also ok to carry. Keep out of places that serve alcohol for on premises consumption. The majority of places that post signs don't have the state mandated signs, so technically you can carry there, but by putting up any sign, it shows the intent that they don't want me there, so I don't go there.
    You can carry in places that charge admission, as long as it ain't posted.

5. Inebriated

Inebriated Active Member

Thanks, fellas. I skimmed over the part about alcohol the first time I read the info, but I see it now. I'd never really noticed how restrictive SC's carry laws are.

And fieldgrade, your thread was very helpful to me.

6. mekender

mekender Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

One thing you have wrong on your list... You can have a gun on a school campus so long as you have a permit and the gun remains in your car in a closed container.

7. fieldgrade

fieldgrade is gone Lifetime Member

I need to learn how to search the forum better so I can post up links to older threads. Glad it was helpful.

8. 11B CIB

11B CIB Taking a break, eh Club Subscribed

Important difference if you are pulled over: have it holstered or in the glove box or console, NOT displayed. Duty to inform and show officer your permit immediately.

9. Inebriated

Inebriated Active Member

I don't plan to be on school grounds at all, but thank you, I hadn't seen that.
    Lol, I just went to your profile and looked at your started threads. Easier than searching.
    Thanks. Is it like NC where I can just hand the permit over with the license? Or do they want it verbally?

10. 11B CIB

11B CIB Taking a break, eh Club Subscribed

When I got pulled the other day, the trooper walked up to my passenger window (traffic safety) and I immediately handed him both my permit and SCDL while saying "I am a CWP holder and I've got a pistol in my glovebox". I was instructed that is pretty text book for "duty to inform" purposes. The trooper said "is your registration in there?" It wasn't but if it had been I'm not sure how he would have handled it for officer safety. May have let me get it or he may have retrieved it...depending in how he read the situation. I would just recommend not storing registration and the pistol to avoid that scenario. I already had my registration and insurance card out but referring to the pistol he said "Ok, just leave it in there" or something like that.

No big deal. Got a warning thankfully (80mph in a 60 zone ouch) and he didn't freak out about my gun like the last time I got pulled 4 years ago when I got taken out of my car, disarmed and given the ole slap and tickle. I was straightforward and courteous/receptive to his courtesy so it went smoothly.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
    Beachdude likes this.
  11. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Staff

You can CC in the hotel ( a place of business if it is not posted properly). You just can't carry in another persons dwelling place (which is the room they are renting in the hotel) ;).

You can CC in your own dwelling place (Room). ;)

Moved thread to the SC carry Law section.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  12. Inebriated

Inebriated Active Member

Great info. Thank you very much! Also, lol @ "slap and tickle".
    Thanks! And sorry, I didn't even think to put it here.

13. Fatboy Flash

Fatboy Flash Hall of Shame Club Subscribed

So no carry in restaurant that serves alcohol?

14. myst173

myst173 Member

Correct, restaurant carry has came through for the last 2 years but died before a vote. Any place that serves alcohol is off limits, any place that sells like a grocery store, etc is ok.

I send emails to the reps here reminding them that most states have adopted rest carry laws because so many family places serve now, anything from Pizza Hut, to Applebees, etc. They all promise to support the law if it comes to a vote. You should do the same.

15. myst173

myst173 Member

Actually other than the alcohol restrictions they're pretty much run of the mill, they were modeled after Florida's. Basically no state/federal facilities, stay away from schools/preschools unless you're a parent picking up a child and then the weapon has to stay in the car, no churches, and no places that serves alcohol for consumption. The medical laws are kind of vague, hospitals are off limits, but private DR's offices are ok, but ALOT of the private Dr's offices now are hospital affiliated so it's kind of iffy. Other than that it's look for the signs.

The no going into a private residence without their permission, I've never really looked at it before to see if it's non-standard as it just kind of made perfect sense to me (their house, their rules).

16. Rdinatal

Rdinatal Well-Known Member

Is this still A-Ok?? I searched the SC laws but only found this reference:
    I never found what "Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23" was... Does it include out of state permits that SC honors?

-R

17. SCshooter57

SCshooter57 Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Highlighted above answers your first question.

Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 can be found here:
    http://scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.php

18. Rdinatal

Rdinatal Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link.

So, Section 16-23-420 says no go for carry on any kind on any school property but does not apply to a person who is authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23.

Unfortunately Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 say a permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a school or college athletic event not related to firearms.

Lawyers, who knew...

-R

19. MJG0479

MJG0479 Registered Member

An update to this thread: you can carry in bars and restaurants as long as you do not consume alcohol, no sign posted and have a recognized cwp.

Beachdude likes this.