Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinnest iwb/owb holster for M&P shield

Thinnest iwb/owb holster for M&P shield

Subscribe to Remove Post Ads (Also enjoy site upgrades, unlimited photo storage, 1,000 private messages, and more!)
    So I got a little Foxx holster for my SCCY for Christmas and I love it, but it made me realize that the SCCY is not he best concealed carry gun for me. I'm a skinny guy and I wear tighter clothes and it seems to be a little thick for me when concealing it. I have chosen to get my hands on a M&P shield 9mm as my EDC. Question is, I am looking for the thinnest or holster with the least amount of material to conceal the shield nicely for a guy my size. I usually wear mine at the 4-5 o clock position. I am also looking for a nice key des only owb holster for the shield as well....any suggestions????

A horsehide hybrid will be the thinnest next to a Vanguard from Raven Concealment

Staff Shootist Classified Feedback: 25 Silver_Bullet's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah whaoo is right, horsehide / kydex is about as thin as you will get.
    alexap (sticky wire holsters does horsehide hybrids), he's a csc forum vendor. I have several.

http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/...alexap+holster

http://www.stickywireholsters.com/

When the 2nd Amendment speaks of a “well-regulated militia,” it means local groups of individuals operating to protect their own families, homes, and communities. They regulated themselves because it was necessary and in their own interest to do so. The Founders themselves wrote in the Federalist papers about the need for individuals to be armed.

Gun control makes people demonstrably less safe--as any honest examination of criminal statistics reveals. It is no coincidence that violent crime flourishes in the nation’s capital, where the individual’s right to self-defense has been most severely curtailed.
    (Ron Paul)

check out guardian concealment I usually wear mine under a t shirt

Hall of Shame Senior Member Classified Feedback: 19
    Crossbreeds are thin & very comfortable. I carried a Glock 17 in one for a while. I recently bought a Bianchi "Remedy" OWB. I really like it. It holds the weapon close to your body. I have no problem concealing a Glock 19 with my shirt untucked.

I'm not sure about holsters for the Shield. I've never had one but I'm sure there's tons of options out there. They're really popular. Good luck finding what you need!

Quote Originally Posted by jjwestbrook View Post
    check out guardian concealment I usually wear mine under a t shirt
    I second the motion. I carry my Shield in a Guardian (and shoot IDPA that way on occasion). It's not THE thinnest, but it holds the gun perfectly.
    "When you try to use bad means to achieve good objectives, the end result is likely to be that the badness of means will triumph over the goodness of the objectives." - Milton Friedman

I like kydex-only holsters for IWB. Hybrids are more comfortable for all day wear, but can't beat kydex-only for thinness.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right, is of no consequence.

G-Code makes an INCOG.... best IWB holster I've ever worn
    www.nickangelgunworks.com
    *VETERAN OWNED AND OPERATED*
    Special Deals for CSC Members!
    Certified Gunsmith
    Certified Advanced Glock Armorer
    NRA RSO and Pistol Instructor

I'm offering a new slimline holster (a tad under 1 1/4" thick) that is a hybrid style harness leather backer, with a leather lining that is very easy on the finish of your handgun. I was carrying in a kydex hybrid my Colt Officers stainless model & noticed the damage to the finish. So I'm offering my new line of holsters. I have 5 shield models to ship this week. As with all my gear satisfaction guaranteed or your money back.
    Last edited by gunbelt; 01-01-2014 at 05:18 PM.
    Then stand to your glasses, steady; Here's a health to those we prize. Here's a toast to the dead already, And here's to the next who dies. By CAPT. Patrick Thorpe, Kentucky

I've found that with careful molding and using the whole gun for retention instead of just the triggerguard that wear is no different than the leather rigs. Plus mine are thin, ultra comfortable, and reliable. Hundreds of customers wear them everyday. It's nice to see another builder with a money back guarantee, hopefully that'll cut down on the fly by nighters that I've seen over the years.
    Last edited by Alexap; 01-01-2014 at 10:57 PM.
    Www.stickywireholsters.com

Check my holsters out! I'm the most experienced and first producer of hybrid holsters on Carolina Shooters. I only work with horsehide and kydex in owb,iwb, and beltslides. Buy local from Carolina!

http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/...e-IWB-Holsters

23 Feedback from Carolina Shooters Forum

http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/...tyle)-FEEDBACK

Thinnest iwb/owb holster for M&P shield

Look at rgrizzle holsters, i have one of his city slicker models and to me is great for a slimmer person and on and off is easy. Even better than the crossbreed i have. Only downside is lead time and price but well worth it. If you go the hybrid route check out some of the forum sponsors.

Check out aliengearholsters.com can't beat the price I love mine I carry xds and I got a aliengearholsters for the wife for Christmas for her s&w shield she loves it as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also with leather-lined hybrids your draw & reholster will be quiet if that makes a difference. I'd also be interested to know thicknesses of other holsters. If the thickness difference is 1/8" or so I wouldn't think that would make a difference except maybe for the ladies as they tend to wear snugger pants.

Curt
    Then stand to your glasses, steady; Here's a health to those we prize. Here's a toast to the dead already, And here's to the next who dies. By CAPT. Patrick Thorpe, Kentucky

Im digging the INCOG. not much material...which is what I am after.

I second Guardian Concealment - I use one for my XDS and Sig P220 Compact.

Don't let the material fool ya like it did me. The hybrid design is hard to beat for comfort. All that material keeps it thin and spreads the weight and pressure of the gun over a wider area making for a more comfortable carry. I resisted trying hybrids for years because I felt like it was too much material. Once I tried one my preconceptions were changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo95 View Post
    Don't let the material fool ya like it did me. The hybrid design is hard to beat for comfort. All that material keeps it thin and spreads the weight and pressure of the gun over a wider area making for a more comfortable carry. I resisted trying hybrids for years because I felt like it was too much material. Once I tried one my preconceptions were changed.
    I guess I look at it since I am a thin guy, I feel more material is going to be noticeable. I was wearing my little Foxx holster last night around the house and unless I am wearing a jacket or hoodie....I can't really conceal it the way Id like it to be...I print like a mofo. now maybe, stepping down to something thinner like an M&P shield from a SCCY cpx-2 will help some....I can easily conceal the gun with no holster with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbelt View Post
    I'm offering a new slimline holster (a tad under 1 1/4" thick) that is a hybrid style harness leather backer, with a leather lining that is very easy on the finish of your handgun. I was carrying in a kydex hybrid my Colt Officers stainless model & noticed the damage to the finish. So I'm offering my new line of holsters. I have 5 shield models to ship this week. As with all my gear satisfaction guaranteed or your money back.
    That's the ticket!
    I believe in free men, free markets, the rule of law under the Founder's Republic and that the Constitution extends to everyone regardless of race, creed, color or religion. I most especially believe in the right of the people to keep and bear arms as the ultimate guarantor of liberty. - Mike Vanderboegh

Staff Shootist Classified Feedback: 25 Silver_Bullet's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drypowder View Post
    I like kydex-only holsters for IWB. Hybrids are more comfortable for all day wear, but can't beat kydex-only for thinness.
    The problem with all kydex is comfort. It wears hard against your side. Unless it's molded to the shape of you body, the hard non bending edges will stick out more under the shirt.

The positive about some all kydex designs is that they are faster to get on and off, if you need to take the holster on and off a lot. Me, I just remove the gun nowadays, and keep the holster on.

I'm looking at my hybird and an all kydex at the moment, and the kydex back is not thinner than the horsehide backing. So I don't believe the all Kydex is thinner.

As far as holster wear of kydex, I put a pm9 in one for 2 years every single day made by alexap and carried it from the time I woke up until I went to bed, Practiced drawing often. Hardly no wear on the pistol. The inside of the kydex is slick and, as a vendor stated above,
    Quote Originally Posted by alexap
    careful molding and using the whole gun for retention instead of just the triggerguard that wear is no different than the leather rigs.
    So if you use an experienced kydex holster maker, that knows how to make these (and I'm guessing we have a few on CSC), you don't have to worry about increased holster wear vs leather.

I just know what I have experienced for carry holsters over the last 4 years. I've tried about all styles, leather, all kydex, soft and cheap one, galco's and other brands, but the hybrid style has been the absolute best comfort and concealment.

With CSC vendors like Alexap and Gunbelt standing behind their products with a money back guarantee, it's crazy not to give something a try.

As far as an 1/8 inch is concerned, I give up capacity by taking a single stack over a double stack trying to get thin, I sure don't want to add the 1/8 inch back. That's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Silver_Bullet; 01-02-2014 at 09:54 AM.

When the 2nd Amendment speaks of a “well-regulated militia,” it means local groups of individuals operating to protect their own families, homes, and communities. They regulated themselves because it was necessary and in their own interest to do so. The Founders themselves wrote in the Federalist papers about the need for individuals to be armed.

Gun control makes people demonstrably less safe--as any honest examination of criminal statistics reveals. It is no coincidence that violent crime flourishes in the nation’s capital, where the individual’s right to self-defense has been most severely curtailed.
    (Ron Paul)

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Bullet View Post
    As far as an 1/8 inch is concerned, I give up capacity by taking a single stack over a double stack trying to get thin, I sure don't want to add the 1/8 inch back. That's just my opinion.
    This is how I feel. Im giving up a 10 rnd double stack to a single stack for this very reason....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast