Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun buy back in Winston Salem / Question

Resident "Nice" Enginerd Shootist Classified Feedback: 9 9outof10mms's Avatar

Subscribe to Remove Post Ads (Also enjoy site upgrades, unlimited photo storage, 1,000 private messages, and more!)
    Watch local ordinances about conducting business on public property or some stupid crap like that. That's where they'll get you. I thought Seattle passed something like that after the mayor got his banana hammock in a tangle when people showed up to do this same thing. It'll be some little nuance that the anti's hide behind and try to get you in trouble for raining on their parade.
    "A good solution applied with vigor now is better than a perfect solution applied ten minutes later." - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

As for who is funding it, per the Q&A on the ad:
    $10k from seized funds (drug money)
    $10k from City funds...so yes, tax money. If you're a tax paying W-S citizen, your should be feeling a wad in your crotch area right about now, and rightfully so.
    "A good solution applied with vigor now is better than a perfect solution applied ten minutes later." - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

surely they wouldn't be dumb enough to break the law with regards to destroying the guns.....
    I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way.

John Paul Jones

On 1 November 1777, he sailed for France in Ranger, carrying dispatches for the American commissioner and word of Burgoyne's surrender at Saratoga. Admiral La Motte Piquet returned Jones' salute at Quiberon Bay, France, 14 February 1778—the first time the new "stars and stripes" were recognized by a foreign power.

Not Subscribed Gunslinger cc2001's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NicerInPerson View Post
    Don't believe they can destroy those guns. State law says they need to be sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2sea View Post
    I know this was asked in another thread, but not sure I saw an answer... didn't our last bill say that the police can't destroy the weapons, and they have to resell them?
    Quote Originally Posted by jerz_subbie View Post
    I believe so. That Q/A jumped out to me too in light of that new statute I remember reading.
    Maybe fire off an email to the city attorney referencing the appropriate statute?

Quote Originally Posted by 9outof10mms View Post
    As for who is funding it, per the Q&A on the ad:
    $10k from seized funds (drug money)
    $10k from City funds...so yes, tax money. If you're a tax paying W-S citizen, your should be feeling a wad in your crotch area right about now, and rightfully so.
    You'd think $10k in seized drug money could go to better use as well. I'd rather see that kind of stuff go to rehab type facilities, etc.
    Last edited by cc2001; 03-10-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    “Meanwhile, planetary history has shown that vast powerful central bureaucracies don’t generally produce either general welfare or freedom or wealth, and science fiction writers have sort of noticed that — even as welfare liberalism has become a consensus among a large part of the literary elites in academia.” ~Dr. Jerry Pournelle

the statute is 14-269.1

they might try and weasel out of it by saying that if they 'buy' them they can do whatever they want with them.
    I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way.

John Paul Jones

On 1 November 1777, he sailed for France in Ranger, carrying dispatches for the American commissioner and word of Burgoyne's surrender at Saratoga. Admiral La Motte Piquet returned Jones' salute at Quiberon Bay, France, 14 February 1778—the first time the new "stars and stripes" were recognized by a foreign power.

Not Subscribed Gunslinger cc2001's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by soreshoulder View Post
    the statute is 14-269.1

they might try and weasel out of it by saying that if they 'buy' them they can do whatever they want with them.
    I'm obviously not an attorney, but if that is the only statute it doesn't appear it'd apply here as the weapons are being volunteered not confiscated or used in any offense.

§ 14-269.1. Confiscation and disposition of deadly weapons.

Upon conviction of any person for violation of G.S. 14-269, G.S. 14-269.7, or any other offense involving the use of a deadly weapon of a type referred to in G.S. 14-269, the deadly weapon with reference to which the defendant shall have been convicted shall be ordered confiscated and disposed of by the presiding judge at the trial in one of the following ways in the discretion of the presiding judge.

(1) By ordering the weapon returned to its rightful owner, but only when such owner is a person other than the defendant and has filed a petition for the recovery of such weapon with the presiding judge at the time of the defendant's conviction, and upon a finding by the presiding judge that petitioner is entitled to possession of same and that he was unlawfully deprived of the same without his consent.

(2), (3) Repealed by Session Laws 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 16, s. 2.

(4) By ordering such weapon turned over to the sheriff of the county in which the trial is held or his duly authorized agent to be destroyed if the firearm does not have a legible, unique identification number or is unsafe for use because of wear, damage, age, or modification. The sheriff shall maintain a record of the destruction thereof.

(4a) Repealed by Session Laws 2005-287, s. 3, effective August 22, 2005.

(4b) By ordering the weapon turned over to a law enforcement agency in the county of trial for (i) the official use of the agency or (ii) sale, trade, or exchange by the agency to a federally licensed firearm dealer in accordance with all applicable State and federal firearm laws. The court may order a disposition of the firearm pursuant to this subdivision only upon the written request of the head or chief of the law enforcement agency and only if the firearm has a legible, unique identification number. If the law enforcement agency sells the firearm, then the proceeds of the sale shall be remitted to the appropriate county finance officer as provided by G.S. 115C-452 to be used to maintain free public schools. The receiving law enforcement agency shall maintain a record and inventory of all firearms received pursuant to this subdivision.

(5) By ordering such weapon turned over to the North Carolina State Crime Laboratory's weapons reference library for official use by that agency. The Laboratory shall maintain a record and inventory of all such weapons received.

(6) By ordering such weapons turned over to the North Carolina Justice Academy for official use by that agency. The North Carolina Justice Academy shall maintain a record and inventory of all such weapons received. (1965, c. 954, s. 2; 1967, c. 24, s. 3; 1983, c. 517; 1989, c. 216; 1993, c. 259, s. 2; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 16, s. 2; c. 22, s. 23; 1997-356, s. 1; 2003-378, s. 5; 2005-287, s. 3; 2011-19, s. 5; 2013-158, s. 3; 2013-360, s. 17.6(h).)
    Last edited by cc2001; 03-10-2014 at 11:00 AM.
    “Meanwhile, planetary history has shown that vast powerful central bureaucracies don’t generally produce either general welfare or freedom or wealth, and science fiction writers have sort of noticed that — even as welfare liberalism has become a consensus among a large part of the literary elites in academia.” ~Dr. Jerry Pournelle

I asked GRNC to look at it.

John Paul Jones

They've got another scheduled for 4/12 from 9-1 at First Waughtown Baptist Church (838 Moravia St). Anybody familiar enough with the area to know if there's a place to setup counter-offers?

A friend took a couple of junk guns up for me. I got $175 for a couple of inoperable junkers that needed to be thrown away anyhow (between several friends we got $1800 of their money). I will be on the lookout for more junk to take to the next one. While I obviously disagree with their notion of using tax payer dollars to "take guns off the streets", I feel that taking as much of their money as possible is the best method to subvert the spirit of the initiative. Any money I get from them will be funneled directly into more guns and ammo! My hope is that any anti-gun organizations or individuals who make private donations to this cause will now have fewer funds to donate elsewhere.

I heard they spent over $33,000 at the event.

I know I feel safer now that the criminals have turned their guns in (No offense Pistolshooter77).

Quote Originally Posted by shooter9949 View Post
    I heard they spent over $33,000 at the event.
    It just doesn't make sense. The sheriff's dept gets lambasted for trading two Tommy guns for a fleet of new AR-15s, and the Police Dept is getting money to buy/ destroy guns.

Don't forget Joines is a MAIG member also.

As a taxpayer, I want those guns auctioned to the FFL network for a return on my "investment." A lot of those guns are crap, but one or two old Lugers or Colt Detective Specials would recoup a lot of our investment.

John Paul Jones

Does anyone know if an old POS black powder percussion rifle be accepted in this buyback?
    "I reckon so"

Quote Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
    Does anyone know if an old POS black powder percussion rifle be accepted in this buyback?
    I would venture to guess that most of the folks working the event wouldn't know the difference between it and a GAU-8 gatling gun.

In other words, if the gubment considers it a firearm, I'd assume it counts. Heck, I'd bet you could sneak in some de-milled or permanently disabled guns from a high school drill team.

Some deals to be had there!

Thanks for the info. It's not worth $20 bucks so that's a profit for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I reckon so"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12