1911 in 9mm?

Discussion in 'Carolinas 1911 Forum' started by lonewolf5347, Mar 13, 2017.

1. lonewolf5347

lonewolf5347 Registered Member

I like to ask any one here run a single stake 1911 in 9 mm
    Shooting IDPA?
    I am in the market for another 9mm was thinking maybe Glock 17 gen4 or S@W M@P full-size.
    I myself run a 1911 in 45 acp or a glock 19

2. jlpskydive

jlpskydive Staff Member Staff Member

I don't shoot competitively any more, but I have a Springfield Range Officer Operator in 9mm and it's like shooting a .22 there simply is no recoil or muzzle flip. I think if I was shooting IDPA with it, it would feel like cheating almost.

3. Rdinatal

Rdinatal Well-Known Member

I shoot IDPA with a 3" barrel 1911. The long range targets are a PITA but I keep up with the tupperware...

-R

4. JimP42

JimP42 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Springfield EMP or what? 3" barrel should be BUG division or close to it! I have tried my EMP at IDPA. Nice gun but I prefer a full size for racing :)

5. Rdinatal

Rdinatal Well-Known Member

Kimber Ultra Carry. I runs what I carry!!

Always fun running with the big boys. I'm not worried about the longer distances. To me it's the draw, target acquisition, cover and reloading. I'm no "operator" just one who want's to have fun and learn things that might help me survive...

-R

JimP42 likes this.
  6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

I have not shot a match in years but still train with a timers . A couple months back I bought a Kimber stainless ultra carry II 9mm . Paid 719 dollars new my general store Pro and full are the same price . I bought this as my small iwb carry and with close 1400 rounds fired its been 100% reliable . Ammo run is only home rolled practice ammo 12 coated and federal 147HST standard velocity . I screwed up and let my wife shoot it and she claimed it is her EDC . Its a fast shooter with minor PL loads and split times are as quick as some of my larger 4" pistols . I tink the ultra and defenders are no longer BUG legal now ??

Rent a P320 see what you think , There are 4 size's to pick from depending on your needs and the SC or compact make great carry pistols too . With a 1911 grip angle and several different grip circumference's hand fit is tunable and point should be familiar to your 1911 and the full size can run a Gray Customs fat rod so it can use 1911 recoil springs so tuning to your load is 1911 like . Gray Customs also has a do it your self trigger kit thats idpa and uspsa legal offers a wide flat trigger that gives a shorter reset and with a lighter trigger pull .

Mine is 4lb 7oz average pull weight with very little difference in break between pulls , Only a oz or two difference between high and low

7. JimP42

JimP42 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Good info! I will have to look into Gray. I carry an EMP most of the time, with a Kahr PM9 for when that's too large. My son got a Sig 938 and I really like it so I am thinking of replacing the Kahr with one. If Gray does anything with 938s that would be interesting.

8. jlpskydive

jlpskydive Staff Member Staff Member

Love the 938 My wife, mom, and myself carry them.

9. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Staff Member Staff Member

I need to try some of these. I am a huge fan of my xD, but I can learn, lol.

jlpskydive likes this.
  10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

I not a fan of the little sig or the kimber micro 1911 wanta be's . Triggers are heavy and not as smooth as they could be for a sa and for my hands I don't want to have to work or fumble with a thumb safety . Much rather have a cm9 or cw9 for pocket carry , OH, I do !! HA

If your want a small pistol for iwb and the little kahrs don't make the list then give the defender and ultra size 1911's a look for a easy to conceal skinny pistol with thin grip panels . With short 3.21" barrels and a full grip" officers grip " for most hands and with Wilson 9mm 9 rounds mags get an extra round in it . My wife claimed mine as her EDC and use's the 10 round Wilson mags as back up . Not a lite weight buy most standards but very easy to shoot hard and fast .

11. Phantom

Phantom Member

I have an older Springfield Loaded Model in 9mm that I have used in IDPA and Steel Challenge. It is a great pistol for the purpose and is a lot of fun to shoot.