Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by FullBoost21, Dec 30, 2015.

?

Which truck gun would you pick?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2016.
  1. 10/22 Takedown

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. S&W M&P 15-22

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Other

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. jb2sea

jb2sea Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I'll have a 22 rifle for SHTF, for sure. Just not in my vehicle. What's in the vehicle is just for getting home. And they will definitely be centerfire.

Heck, as hard as 22 has been to get the last year, I'm not sure that you wouldn't be able to find more centerfire ammo.

2. zombienetwork

zombienetwork Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I have always looked at most self defense situations and seen escape as your best method for surviving. In that case ease of use and movement along with mobility are the keys for what becomes your escape tool be it firearm or melee weapon. In a true survival scenario creating a disruption to facilitate an exit is more likely to be successful than attempting to end the scenario at the initial location.

If your truck gun is seen as your get home gun...then consider the needs for that scenario.

If your truck gun is something to defend your vehicle in case of a break down and subsequent rescue then consider the needs for that scenario.

If your truck gun is to deal with varmints when you are on your farm doing work etc etc.

I cannot remember the parable about the carbine but it can be paraphrased to say carbines are rarely the best at any one thing but they are often good enough at just about everything.

That being said...the carbine caliber and such is whole other debate. Pistol vs rifle vs rimfire...all have merits.

I personally this the hipoint carbines are very good as truck guns as they are reliable and with the right ammo have plenty of knockdown power.

Plus if someone breaks into your car and steals your best hipoint carbine...it only costs you 300 or so to replace it.

If you have to pick a 22lr..I have the sig 522 and I believe i already said it does have a folding stock which is nice in a truck gun. I think the Beretta does also.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    Brangus and bigfutz like this.
  3. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 Well-Known Member

Piggy backing on this thought here's a wacky idea. How about the Browning BLR takedown in .223? Only holds 4 in the mag I think, but you could carry a handful of mags. You could mount a decent red dot on it, and hit targets a little further out. Then you'd have ammo in common with your big boy rifles. Only downsides to justify are more money and limited magazine capacity. But unless you envision a Walking Dead like shootout with a dozen bad guys you should be OK. Plus I assume you'l have an EDC gun of some sort also. And a lever action won't look intimidating or scary to most people. Especially if you are out in the country. Cheaper version of this is to grab a 357 or 44 lever action used for probably half the money.

My problem is I drive a Toyota Avalon. What the heck gun do you get for that? Not a truck gun for sure. Maybe an air rifle with a pretty design?

4. pikepole20

pikepole20 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I have a Keltec SU 2000 in 40 caliber that uses Glock mags. It compliments my Glock 27 and fits in a compact bag with a couple of 33 round mags. Hopefully, that would get me home.

pirate and bigfutz like this.
  5. Chihuahua Floyd

Chihuahua Floyd Member

To get back to the original question of the choice,e between the two guns mentioned, I would go with the 10-22. I do not have an AR of any sort and have a good bit of time with the 10-22. But that's me.

6. GregB72

GregB72 Registered Member

Between the two I vote M&P 15-22. In the last competition we had it was the most reliable, period.

7. jb2sea

jb2sea Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Sig 522

8. AsheMtnMan

AsheMtnMan Member

M&P 15-22 since the rifle operates similarly to the AR platform and you can accessorize it just like an AR. I also prefer the high cap magazines to the 10/22 high cap magazines.

9. ForumSurfer

ForumSurfer Ar Hugger. Carpe diem per guttur . Club Subscribed

I am so glad I did not buy a sig...My sig 522 taught me that I hated sig ergonomics lol. I really wanted to like it since it used the same mags as my ar 22 cmmg wasp upper. Nope, hated it. The ergonomics and onbnoxiously heavy, overly long trigger pull killed me. At that time there were no aftermarket trigger parts...i don't know if that is still true.

Also, gees it had a heavy gritty trigger for a 22....which is why I prefer a 10-22 or ar pattern that I can massage the trigger bits and get them down to 3lbs or so. Better yet if possible, buy drop in units with 3lbs or less pull along with ultra short pull and reset.

10. Flashpoint

Flashpoint Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I kinda think if the OP thinks 22lr is enough for him it probably is. A 22 rifle has a lot going for it, and he knows best what he has in mind using it for.

You could also go for a compact semi auto 22lr that is ready to go with no assembly. These are clamshells for the 10/22 and from the reviews I read very sturdy. They add over a pound of weight however.

[​IMG]
    http://www.hightowerarmory.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1830

Whatever compact design you go with, this is a great way to keep it in your car, just make sure it's out of the driver's reach unless it's an AR (or other) pistol.

[​IMG]

http://uspatriottactical.com/blackh...AIIrcVqn87RUkdCzNg9g0_UsW3FcIlJp6ZxoC0M3w_wcB

11. georgel

georgel Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I must have missed this the first time through...

But, I don't think either of your choices are good for stopping a truck.

:p

ForumSurfer and bigfutz like this.
  12. ForumSurfer

ForumSurfer Ar Hugger. Carpe diem per guttur . Club Subscribed

3lb trigger, 25round bx mag and I'll put around 80+ percent of the mag in hiis left orbital socket. Truck = stopped. :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

13. georgel

georgel Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Well, technically you've stopped the driver, but not the truck. :p

Interestingly, if anyone wonders about the ability of .22's getting through windshields, watch this...

ForumSurfer likes this.
  14. rcassettyjr

rcassettyjr Registered Member

Given the choices I would choose other. If I had to have a 22lr truck gun (my actual truck gun is an AK) I would choose a standard 556/223 AR and then add a 22lr conversion from CMMG. That would give you one gun to shoot both 22lr and with a quick bolt/mag swap shoot 223 if the need arises (or vise versa). You also are using common non proprietary parts unlike the S&W model.

15. charlie

charlie Registered Member

I would go with the Ruger.

I am going into town in a little while and then to the farm on the way home. I will be carrying a rifle, probably a bolt action, that I will keep openly on the passenger seat until I park the truck. I will then throw a coat over it so it will not be as obvious. I figure that I am not carrying a concealed long gun if I am not in the truck with it while it is not visible.

16. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    Brangus likes this.