Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian Makarov 9x18 - Opinions

Russian Makarov 9x18 - Opinions

Subscribe to Remove Post Ads (Also enjoy site upgrades, unlimited photo storage, 1,000 private messages, and more!)
    Found one in good shape, for not much money. Any personal experiences out there or general thoughts?

Thanks.

Some good info here:

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Personally, I've got a P-64 that I love. Never had a single failure of any sort.

I've got a Russian Military Mak. They are well made firearms. Very accurate and quite the deal for the money.

The 9x18 isn't a powerhouse load but it got the job done for the Soviet Bloc and Chinese for quite a while.

Everyone should own a Mak at one time or another.

Makarov. com is the place to go for anything Makarov.

m49

i've got a PA-63 and like it a lot for the money. have carried it some, it shoots well, and is very reliable.

9x18 ammo is between .380 and 9mm in power. iv'e used hornady XTP's mostly, but i really like the silver bear JHP when you can find them. the hornady's chrono at about 890 or so and the silver bears go about 1050 out of my gun.

I have a Russian one and it will out shoot alot of my more expensive guns. I would highly recommend one.

I "parked" my Para Warthog for a P63. The only thing I do not like about it is the small safety lever. It is hard to push up with normal thumb action. My buddy has one that has a 1/4 inch hump on the safety lever which makes it much easier to use quickly. Am going to add a padded slip on Hogue or similiar grip cover as the recoil is a bit hard on the web of my hand. It is an accurate pistol and I like the double action. The size and weight suit me almost as well as my son's Sig 380. Hope you enjoy your new found shooter.

Thanks all.

Is $200 out the door too much? This one has the adjustable rear sight that some don't care for. Good condition. Rubber grips.

Thanks.

$200 out the door is a good fair price, i dont see how you could go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Graham
    Thanks all.

Is $200 out the door too much? This one has the adjustable rear sight that some don't care for. Good condition. Rubber grips.

Thanks.
    $200 out the door is great! Grab it!!
    Also, where in Durham did you find this pistol?

I have a Bulgarian Makarov. Awesome gun. Less educated people try to play it off as a Walther clone. It is not. Has about half as many parts as the Walther PP series. 9x18 is a great, cheap round. You won't be disappointed.

I had an East German Mak and it was a great little pistol. Way too heavy for the size/caliber if you want to carry, though. Of course, if you needed a $200 carry gun, it might not be a bad choice.

They're good shooters... fixed barrel makes them inherently accurate. And +1 on the gunboards.com makarov forum. Good people and info there.
    Chris

$200 OTD is a good price.

You can probably shoot that gun for years and easily get your money back at that price.

Those Falco holsters they sell on Makarov.com are nice little units for the money.

m49

Thanks All.

Bought the gun. It's an IJ70-18A. Ran 100 Golden Bear's through. No problems whatsoever.

I think I'd like to switch to some original grips. Little more kick that way, but I kind of like it being more original.

Need to find another magazine or two. Lot of sites list then, but are actually sold out.

Drop me a line if anyone has a set of original grips they'd sell.

Thanks again!

Got to shoot one this morning....good shooter, on my list for new guns to own.

MOΛΩN ΛAB…

A small investment of your time in skill development and maintenance, professional development as well as attention to your weapons and equipment will pay off when the fecal material meets the wind pusher.
    What in the heck is my avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Graham
    Thanks All.

Bought the gun. It's an IJ70-18A. Ran 100 Golden Bear's through. No problems whatsoever.

I think I'd like to switch to some original grips. Little more kick that way, but I kind of like it being more original.

Need to find another magazine or two. Lot of sites list then, but are actually sold out.

Drop me a line if anyone has a set of original grips they'd sell.

Thanks again!
    Which store did you pick this up at?

Will swap grips with you. I want a larger grip. Will be going to Mebane within the next two weeks to pick up some equipment. Are you local to there??? E or PM me if interested, wc

How about a photo?

Here's mine.

m49

Not Subscribed Senior Member DanM's Avatar
    I may have an extra set of Mak factory grips. Will check tonight. For general shooting the Pearce grips are hard to beat. I have the walnut grips that were sold on Makarov.com on my Bulgie. I do suggest that you replace your recoil spring with a Wolff 19# spring. IMHO, the 19# should be standard. 9x18 is very easy to reload for, and does especially well with cast bullets. Almost any powder that works for .45acp, or 9x19 can be made to work in 9x18 if you can find your brass. The best I found were WSF and Unique. Enjoy....

EDIT: Was your pistol sold as a Russian or a Bulgarian? It has the Russian Tula arsenal stamp, so it may be one of the ex Russian Military pistols that were remarked as Bulgarian for export to the US. I say this because it has the fixed sights, and direct Russian imports had the adjustable sight.

Which store did you pick this up at?
    Lawman's Supply in Raleigh

I like those grips above a lot! What are they?

Man that is nice!

MOΛΩN ΛAB…

A small investment of your time in skill development and maintenance, professional development as well as attention to your weapons and equipment will pay off when the fecal material meets the wind pusher.
    What in the heck is my avatar?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast