26 kinds of 22 ammo

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Red Cent, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Red Cent

Red Cent Vendor Vendor

McLeansville, NC by way of WV SASS #29170L
    In the latest Guns & Ammo, one writer uses a $3000.00 Anschutz bolt action rifle to test all the brands. Bench rested, this particular rifle removes a lot of the concern of accuracy.
    As I was, you may be surprised who won the accuracy nod.

2. majicmike

majicmike AKA Studly Hungwell Club Subscribed

Well,,,what ammo won?

ikarus1 likes this.
  3. DirtySCREW

DirtySCREW Member

Yeah..what he said! Who won??
    I'm betting on eley.

DS

sent from the Honey Badger Galaxy

4. six8

six8 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

The smallest group was from Wolf match 40 gr lead RN. The best average was CCI Pistol Match. Of the 26 tested, 8 were CCI (including Blazer). Only two Federal loads were tested--Bulk Champion and HV Match (which was the best high velocity load). I would have liked to have seen Automatch included as it has been generally the most available load since 2013. 4 Eley and 3 Winchester-- the Winchester did better than I would have expected. Curiously, there was not a very good correlation between standard deviation and accuracy throughout the test.

5. Have gun-will travel

Have gun-will travel Member

I shot some of the Wolf match loads beside CCI green tag and Eley. Was was the most accurate 22 ammo I have ever shot .It did have a funny smell though. Have not found anymore .My CZ452 American really loved the Wolf ammo.

6. georgel

georgel Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

It's been known for a while that the Wolf Match is very good stuff. I don't remember who makes it for them. It was very sought after for a while. It also got pricey and hard to find.

7. pirate

pirate Ad Victoriam Club Subscribed

Wolf Match is made by SK Munitions in Germany.

ikarus1 likes this.
  8. georgel

georgel Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Thanks, I just looked them up to see if they are linked to any well known brands. The names that came up were...
    Lapua Vihtavuori

On .22 accuracy, as most know, it is very dependent on the gun and the ammunition pair. Some guns shoot inexpensive stuff great and every gun is different. So, a similar make and model may like CCI Mini-Mags, but an "identical" gun may like Federal HV Match. With new .22's you have to go to the range with an assortment of ammo to find out what that gun likes. What you get when you go to higher priced guns and ammo for that matter is consistency in tolerances. So, they become more predictable.
    With .22 ammo the big factor seems to be rim thickness. I once measured some Federal Match 700 series competition "practice" ammo against identical looking Federal UM-1 full on competition ammo. What I found was a fair amount of rim thickness variation on 700 while every single UM-1 round was bang on the same thickness. The suspicion was that the 700 were QC culls of the UM-1. The cases were very distinctive with at dimpled center. The 700 was expensive, the UM-1 was very expensive. I still have a brick in plastic I can't bring myself to open. I don't think I have a gun now that would do it justice. I gave up my Benelli Match pistol, but I do have a cryo tension Volquartsen barrel.

Studentofthegun likes this.
  9. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 Well-Known Member

Hey, I hear fieldgrade has about 22 kinds of 22lr bending his floor joists. We should all go to his place and have a CSC test! :p

10. Va_Gentleman

Va_Gentleman Cook Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Lapua... Lapua..., Where have I heard that name.... Oh, yeah.. that's the stuff The Chkn shot that Yote at 212 Yards and dropped him DRT.

Chkn, care to show the folks how accurate that stuff is?

Bunsen likes this.
  11. JimB

JimB Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

At this point I think CCI has at least 26 kinds of 22 ammo, or maybe 5 kinds in 30 different boxes, hard to tell.