Thread: Open Carry Law in NC questions

Not Subscribed Senior Member

Open Carry Law in NC questions

Subscribe to Remove Post Ads (Also enjoy site upgrades, unlimited photo storage, 1,000 private messages, and more!)
    Had a tire replaced at a Walmart in southeastern NC today and it brought a few questions to mind.

To start off I am a SC resident, but live within about 15 minutes of the NC/SC border.

When not carrying, I normally keep a pistol in the glovebox or center console of the vehicle I am driving as does my wife (no cwp for her at this time), l didn't today, because I knew I was going into NC, and don't know your laws that well.

1. Let's say that I want to carry in NC, what are my options? In SC my gun must basically be on my person or in a "pocketbook" type bag (with CWP), or in glovebox/center console, or the "trunk". I know without a NC CHP, glovebox/center console is a big no no, as it is considered concealed.

2. This basically feeds off 1, stop once in NC at a gas station, Walmart, McDonald's wherever and need to go in, I obviously cannot carry concealed in NC with my SC cwp, can I throw it on OWB and make sure my shirttale/jacket doesn't partially conceal it, I know NC allows open carry for residents, what about visitors?

If you have a valid SC CHP/CCW permit you are fine to conceal. The glovebox or console IS concealed.
    NRA Life Member, NC CCH Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

IMPORTANT LINK: NC Department of Justice Concealed Weapons Reciprocity page

Other States' Permits Honored Here

Effective December 1, 2011, North Carolina automatically recognizes concealed carry permits issued in any other state.

Out-of-state permit holders should familiarize themselves with North Carolina’s laws.

For example, in North Carolina, concealed handguns may not be carried:
    • In law enforcement or correctional facilities such as a prison;
    • In any space occupied by state or federal employees, including state and federal courthouses;
    • In schools or on school grounds;
    • In areas of assemblies, parades, funerals or demonstrations;
    • In any place where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed (such as some restaurants);
    • In any area where concealed handguns are prohibited by federal law;
    • In any place of business that has posted a sign banning concealed weapons on its premises;
    • By any person while consuming alcohol or while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substances (unless obtained legally and taken as directed by a physician).

To possess a concealed handgun in North Carolina, you must:

• Carry your permit and a valid form of identification with you at all times.
    • Disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit when you are approached or addressed by any law enforcement officer in North Carolina.
    • Inform the officer that you are in possession of a concealed handgun.
    • Present both the permit and valid identification at the request of an officer
    • NOTE: You should not attempt to display either your weapon or your permit unless directed to by an officer.

Chad Ward
    An Edge in the Kitchen
    William Morrow Cookbooks
    www.chadwrites.com

OC is allowed in NC because there is no law making it illegal. As such it applies to anyone that can lawfully possess a gun, resident of the state or not.

opencarry.org/ is also a good place for these questions.
    Wanted
    22 mag ammo
    Land
    Benelli M4
    MP5

Not Subscribed Senior Member
    Thanks for the info guys! Didn't realize that the permit reciprocity was part of the law change at the end of last year

Not Subscribed Gunslinger Chris B's Avatar
    So, the straightforward answer is... Carry how you want to in NC. You can open carry if you want to, but since you have SC CWP, you can conceal as well.. Your call
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    -Some dumb **** that misquoted Ben Franklin....

My Fat Boy Belt Review

A look into Chris B's collection