Thread: Bulk ammo buy

Bulk ammo buy

Subscribe to Remove Post Ads (Also enjoy site upgrades, unlimited photo storage, 1,000 private messages, and more!)
    Have any of you guys considered trying to put together a bulk buy of 5k or more rounds? I cannot even find many places that sell quantities over 1k or if it would even be worth it.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven,
    then when I die I want to go
    where they went."- Will Rogers

I just recently made an order of well over 5k rounds. I had to piece together my order from different websites. I ended up going with sgammo and wideners. When ordering from wideners, its cheaper to place separate orders because of shipping surcharges. With SGammo, its actually cheaper on shipping when you order more.

Unfortunately 5k isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. I know of guys who have ordered 10k of the same ammo and barely got any discount, mainly savings on shipping (freight vs UPS ground).

I wouldn't expect any discount if you're ordering 1k of this, 1k of that, 2k of this, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jerz_subbie View Post
    Unfortunately 5k isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. I know of guys who have ordered 10k of the same ammo and barely got any discount, mainly savings on shipping (freight vs UPS ground).

I wouldn't expect any discount if you're ordering 1k of this, 1k of that, 2k of this, etc.
    Yeah, I figured as much. Oh well. What do you have to buy? An entire pallet? Might as well just start reloading.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven,
    then when I die I want to go
    where they went."- Will Rogers

Think the mind set is they know they can get top price for ammo now and will sell it if you don't buy it from them. But you still save buying in bulk.
    We have evolved to the point that we don't know anything
    Panic now, avoid the rush!!!

In these times, I think what off-the-hip said is very true unless you find an ammo dealer with exceptionally poor marketing skills who is sitting on a couple dozen pallets.

I just found an old thread on arfom regarding bulk buys. One guy bought a pallet of .308 32k rds, more than would fit in an entire F250 bed; Another got 21k rounds 5.56 and got 10% off. A pallet of 5.56 is 80k rds at about 3500lbs. All of the guys who have done huge buys like this said you have to have access to a loading dock or at the very least have it delivered to a business because residential shipping rates are much higher.

Ncreptile
    I purchased 21k of 7.62x39 and it fit in a mustang..
    Just an interesting fact for all

A fellow on CSF tried to do a group buy about two years ago, it languished for several months, everybody lost interest, and I think he wound up buying the whole order....I'm sure he got his money out of it, but the deal wasn't much better than street price....

I would consider running one if the deal was good. So what deals have you found?
    Wanted
    22 mag ammo
    Land
    Benelli M4
    MP5

Quote Originally Posted by Lawmaker View Post
    I would consider running one if the deal was good. So what deals have you found?
    I think ammo deal days are over for awhile.....Noticed a change just over the last six months myself.....

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...dID=FAXM855BAR
    that should keep the barrel warm for awhile

Quote Originally Posted by Off-the-hip View Post
    http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...dID=FAXM855BAR
    that should keep the barrel warm for awhile
    "limit one per customer"

...somehow I doubt people are lining up to buy those.

..though I have seen that many rounds go down range in a 3 day carbine class...by everyone combined
    Last edited by Fatebringer; 03-14-2012 at 07:50 PM.

200 shipping fee. Came out to .34 per round. Not the greatest. Would be painful to part out also.
    Wanted
    22 mag ammo
    Land
    Benelli M4
    MP5

I once discussed trying to do a big group buy on some 7.62x39 with Scott at DPH Arms to try and get a discount. After talking to the importers, Scott said the only way to get a significant discount was by buying multiple pallets, in quantities of 100K rounds or more.

we've had a couple of discussions with a couple of folks. Its doable, but only at Pallet level quantities. I'm not going to announce anything until its done, though. See, I can actually learn new things, lol.
    I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way.

John Paul Jones

On 1 November 1777, he sailed for France in Ranger, carrying dispatches for the American commissioner and word of Burgoyne's surrender at Saratoga. Admiral La Motte Piquet returned Jones' salute at Quiberon Bay, France, 14 February 1778—the first time the new "stars and stripes" were recognized by a foreign power.

Quote Originally Posted by soreshoulder View Post
    we've had a couple of discussions with a couple of folks. Its doable, but only at Pallet level quantities. I'm not going to announce anything until its done, though. See, I can actually learn new things, lol.
    Well like I said I would finance one and part it out. If it is a good deal and not 12500 loose.
    Wanted
    22 mag ammo
    Land
    Benelli M4
    MP5

Quote Originally Posted by Lawmaker View Post
    200 shipping fee. Came out to .34 per round. Not the greatest. Would be painful to part out also.
    Who said anything about parting out, nothing like a barrel of fun