.458 Socom

Discussion in 'AR15' started by Barrett, May 8, 2017.

1. Barrett

Barrett Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I will be adding a .458 Socom to my collection. I'm debating whether to just add a complete upper or a complete upper and lower build.

I understand about the .458 being compatible with the standard AR lower. I have to think the stock lower will take a beating from the extra stress. The uppers I've seen seem to just open up the ejection port and call it good to go.

But I have seen where companies like CMMG have started building purpose built lowers (the Anvil).

Would like feedback from you other .458 Socom owners.

2. dh2

dh2 Registered Member

3. mazer

mazer Registered Member

I have a Rock River Arms and truthfully you don't need anything special for the lower. You CAN of course build one or order one....but if you already have one, just go to Tromix and order a complete upper and you are good to go. You don't need anything special, it uses the same springs, mags everything just like you were going to shoot a 5.56.

4. mazer

mazer Registered Member

Here's mine.
    this is when I first got it:
    [​IMG]
    this is a month ago all ready to hunt! Just ignore the PSL next to it!
    [​IMG]

JDriver1.8t and Barrett like this.
  5. JDriver1.8t

JDriver1.8t Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Does anyone have any experience with the Radical Firearms upper? $600 or less for the complete upper seems like too good of a deal, even in the age of low prices.

6. mazer

mazer Registered Member

Well I don't know Radical Arms, on their sight the price is only $669 but you can go to Tromix (these are the guys that designed the 458SOCOM) and for $699 get a complete upper as well, so I guess it just comes down to what you want part wise. The only reason I went with Rock River Arms is because I came across this rifle in a gun show, otherwise I would have gone to Tromix, but that is a personal choice!

7. Barrett

I have no experience obviously from my post in this thread. However, I have been doing a lot of research. I came across a couple of bad reviews that complain about the upper not cycling properly. But there are more that say it runs great.

8. Barrett

This guy is selling them for $499.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Ra...SOCOM_COMPLETE_Upper_p/rf-upper-fhr16-458.htm

9. mazer

mazer Registered Member

Well, Tony, who owns Tromix was one of the creators of the 458 SOCOM, if you go to the forums: http://458socomforums.com/
    You can get a lot of great info there!
    Now, the price looks very good! I don't know about the various manufacturers of AR15 products, I own one AR15, have only ever owned one AR15, and that is my RRA 458 SOCOM, so for me the important thing was purchasing directly from the company that manufactured the rifle so if I had any issues I knew who to send it to! The only reason I didn't go to Tromix first is because they don't make the complete rifle, only the parts and the uppers. I was going to purchase the RRA anyway because of that, and happened to come across one at a gun show, so I was good to go. If you are good with AR's then you would possibly look at things differently than I would when it comes to purchasing anything AR related.