Thread: 39 and 59 series Smith & Wesson

39 and 59 series Smith & Wesson

Subscribe to Remove Post Ads (Also enjoy site upgrades, unlimited photo storage, 1,000 private messages, and more!)
    I have seen a few if these at shows and for sale by members , and knew little of them so I passed. Out of curiosity I have researched a wee bit and all I see is glowing reviews. Any of you guys own one or have experience with them ? One is for sale here but it is a 6 hour round trip or I would jump on it I think, lol.
    When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

Lifetime Member
    Shootist
    Classified Feedback: 85 WNC Seabee's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As you know, I have both the 659 and the 5906. It may be these particular pieces, but the 5906 has the better trigger and the dovetail sights made it easy to drop in night sights. Aside from that, both are ultra reliable, accurate and able to take a beating. I have a total of 5 SW 2nd or 3rd gen semi autos; I'll take them over a Glock/XD/M&P any day.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies.- C.S. Lewis

Club Subscribed
    I've owned a smith 59 for 20+ years, always been one of my favorites. It's on the not for sale list.

U. S. Military Gunslinger jdramsey1's Avatar
    I've shot a 5906 many times. They're solid, accurate pistols.

One of my favorite carry gun(which the wife has taken over at the moment) is a 3913. Very accurate, nice and slim and never a malfunction.
    Things change fast!!

The third generation Smith pistols are solid performs. The TSW variants are generally considered to be the pinnacle of the series

my very first pistol a 39 that I still have and have had for over 30 years...super reliable, shoots better than I and always runs with anything I feed it..its the most natural pointing pistol I have

The model 39 and 39-1 suffered some early problems and also werent always reliable with hollowpoints, mainly due to the fact that there werent many hollowpoints avaliable at the time. The model 39-2 addresed most of the problems and are outstanding, light weight aluminum framed guns.

I always thought the 39 with the wood grips were a sexy pistol and felt good in the hand due to the single stack mag and arched back strap.

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    The third generation Smith pistols are solid performs. The TSW variants are generally considered to be the pinnacle of the series
    That's been my personal experience as well. I don't have any 2nd or 3rd Gen's at the moment but, all of the the ones i have owned in the past were great guns. I have had 5906, 6906, 4506, two 645's and a special long slide model called Super 9.

As posted above, the 39-2 guns were better than the 39 and 39-1. The first 39-2 I ever owned had been slightly pimped out in that the hammer, trigger, and grip screws had been gold plated. That light flash of gold here and there looked good (to me) with the bright blue. I wish I still owned that one.

I've shot many of the old Federal Classic hollow points in the 39-2's with no issues.

C&L

In spite of a bad knee, busted ankles, too many years and a slowed reaction time, I'm just as fast and dangerous as I ever was.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked & Locked View Post
    As posted above, the 39-2 guns were better than the 39 and 39-1. The first 39-2 I ever owned had been slightly pimped out in that the hammer, trigger, and grip screws had been gold plated. That light flash of gold here and there looked good (to me) with the bright blue. I wish I still owned that one.

I've shot many of the old Federal Classic hollow points in the 39-2's with no issues.

Now that is a sharp looking pistol,I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! They are out there.

Same 39-2 with some Sambar Stag grips

C&L

In spite of a bad knee, busted ankles, too many years and a slowed reaction time, I'm just as fast and dangerous as I ever was.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

lol...wanna sell it, lol ?
    When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

I would completely ruin my already tarnished reputation if I sold a(nother) S&W.

C&L

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Lifetime Member
    Shootist
    Classified Feedback: 85 WNC Seabee's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    http://www.armslist.com/posts/341957...-59-nickel-9mm

Not my taste, but if you like nickel this is a good deal.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies.- C.S. Lewis