Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scared straight program.

Scared straight program.

Subscribe to Remove Post Ads (Also enjoy site upgrades, unlimited photo storage, 1,000 private messages, and more!)
    Anyone know of a scared straight type program for teens. Looking for something for my g/f's soon to be 17 yo son. I read about the Tarheel Challenge program in Salemburg, but you have to be a HS dropout, which he is not, but also they have to volunteer, which he wont, lol. Anything anyone?
    Thanks in advance.
    Prepare for the worst, or prepare to fail for the lack of preparation.

I'd check with the Sheriff's office. They may have some suggestions.
    If your thinking "Boot camp" type program, I think there is a long waiting list.
    W.E.C.S.O.G. Certified Armorer
    "Will work for Varget"

Not trying to belittle the situation but can't you just whoop his ass a couple of times?

Quote Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
    Not trying to belittle the situation but can't you just whoop his ass a couple of times?
    Oh man, that's what I would love to do. Ive tried to stay kinda neutral and let my g/f and his dad work through punishments and stuff, but this is getting ridiculous. His dad will not grant me permission to open up a can on him, but he stays here most of the time with his brother, which is a very good kid. One is on the A-B honor roll, listens well, doesnt screw up, and the other makes D's and says to us, well, at least Im passing. Freakin kills me. There's other stuff as Im sure you know what 17 yo's get into, but Im about to put a swift end to all this crap and be the really big arsehole. Sorry for the rant, but im starting to boil over here.

Quote Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
    Honestly by the time they are that old, it wont do any good.

Hell even my 12 year old is getting old enough to where physical punishment does not phase him.

The USMC has a program

Quote Originally Posted by ronn6 View Post
    The USMC has a program
    Indeed. I hear it's pretty effective too.

"The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks."
    Samuel Adams

"Lord, make me fast and accurate; let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If I only had my rifle;" and Lord if today is truly the day that you call me Home, let me die in an empty pile of brass."

I went to the navy and got staightened out. I wil lnever forget what Chief Livingston told us the first day, " I am about to do in 12 weeks what your mommy and daddy couldn't do in 18 years".
    The females will just eat you for the sport of it whether they are hungry or not. Qball50 2012
    I used to date a 3ft midget. I was nuts over that girl. chdamn 2012
    "...It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
    --Samuel Adams

Call some of the Seriffs departments and some of the Jails and Social Services in the area.

If that does not work bring him over to my house my Wife has scared many.:7::7:
    The art of war is of vital importance to the State. It is a matter of life and death, a road either to safety or to ruin. Hence it is a subject of inquiry which can on no account be neglected
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you more than he loves himself"

Actually most prison camps offer this program. If you locate the nearest camp to you and contact the programs department they will set you up. Central Prison in Raleigh has the best. If your interested let me know and Ill give you the name and contact info, you need. Trust me I worked for the DOC for 12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by mekender View Post
    Honestly by the time they are that old, it wont do any good.
    +1

Not to make your life worse, but you have just over one year to do anything. Once they hit 18, it's all on them. And there is no one out there to help parents trying to help screwed up adult kids. We tried to get them at about 13-15 to do the most good. Around 16-17 they see the light at the end of the tunnel and just ride it out till 18 and then leave.

You're in a tough place, that's for sure. There are involuntary placements out there, but they tend to be pricey. And if he does not want to change, no amount of time, money, or work will make it happen.

You could always work on making his life miserable because of his behavior. No bed, just a mattress. No furniture. No doors. No money. Not allowed to go out. Cut every bit of unnecessary financial support off. Might send him over the edge, might prove a point too. But hey, that's the way the real world works. Work, or live on the bare minimum that you can scrounge. I'd be tempted to have a sit down and explain that on his 18th Bday, or the day after graduation, he WILL be moving out, so he better start preparing.

Good luck.
    Check out my leather/kydex holsters here.

http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/...rid-beltslides

Thanks guys. We had a 2 hour conversation yesterday, just him and I. We will see how that works. He has not always been like this, but in the last year he's started to hang around the wrong people and you know how that turns out. He also wants his license, but has to make "B's or no key's" in school, but he doesnt even care about that. Man, when I was 16, I did whatever was asked of me so I could get mine and drive. He acts like he doesnt care. And what really pisses me off, he's smart as hell, he just doesnt give any effort anymore, and has no ambition. Again, thanks guys.

Is it your house or hers? If yours then lay down the law. If the g/f doesn't back you on it then something is wrong there.

I don't know anything about your situation, but that's what I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Man View Post
    but has to make "B's or no key's" in school,
    OUTSTANDING!!!!! Sounds like the crew he hangs out with him is having too much influence on him. Any chance of keeping him away from them by doing more as a family or more of him and you? Sounds like he's doing some of this to push your buttons too. Understand that and act accordingly. Even though he has pissed everyone off, you need to figure out how to exert more influence on him than his friends do. Some of that might be punishment, but some of it has to just be time spent doing stuff. That's tough to do when they are screwing up all the time. Something to think about.

Yeah, we stopped him from hanging out with those guys, and of course he got all butt hurt over that. Man, I've tried to do stuff with him. I think one of the problems is his dad never really had /has much to do with him. His brother plays sports, so the dad spends most of the time with him. They really have no bond/relationship. So, I try and get him involved with stuff, and spend time with him, but he doesnt want to do anything. If its not facebook or PS-3, he's not interested. He does play guitar every now and again, so I bought another set of drums so we could jam together, and that lasted all of about two months, and now he never touches it hardly. I've tried taking them camping, all they did was complain, doing other stuff, not interested. Im not trying to make excuses, but damn, after a while it starts to drive me a little crazy. Sorry so long.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    OUTSTANDING!!!!! Sounds like the crew he hangs out with him is having too much influence on him. Any chance of keeping him away from them by doing more as a family or more of him and you? Sounds like he's doing some of this to push your buttons too. Understand that and act accordingly. Even though he has pissed everyone off, you need to figure out how to exert more influence on him than his friends do. Some of that might be punishment, but some of it has to just be time spent doing stuff. That's tough to do when they are screwing up all the time. Something to think about.

Hang in there and be a man for him to look up to now and later when he needs to remember what a man is and does.

Well, technically its her dad's house. It was a rental house for him, and he got tired of the tenants there and was looking for someone to move in. We were looking for a place together, and he offered that house up.
    She does back me on decisions, the problem is getting mom/dad/me all on the same page. They are a little more "soft" than I am. My dad was military and, even though he didn't run our house like a drill sergeant, he was strict. Im glad for it now.

Quote Originally Posted by DGraham View Post
    Is it your house or hers? If yours then lay down the law. If the g/f doesn't back you on it then something is wrong there.

I don't know anything about your situation, but that's what I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Man View Post
    Yeah, we stopped him from hanging out with those guys, and of course he got all butt hurt over that. Man, I've tried to do stuff with him. I think one of the problems is his dad never really had /has much to do with him. His brother plays sports, so the dad spends most of the time with him. They really have no bond/relationship. So, I try and get him involved with stuff, and spend time with him, but he doesnt want to do anything. If its not facebook or PS-3, he's not interested. He does play guitar every now and again, so I bought another set of drums so we could jam together, and that lasted all of about two months, and now he never touches it hardly. I've tried taking them camping, all they did was complain, doing other stuff, not interested. Im not trying to make excuses, but damn, after a while it starts to drive me a little crazy. Sorry so long.

Keep at it. He cares, even if he won't admit it. YOu can't replace dad, but that does not mean you can't be an influence. Heck, play PS3 with him. He'll never ask for help, even though his behavior seems to be screaming for it. Hang tough. Find anything to do with him. And try hard not to take it personal. Yes, he may be trying to piss you off sometimes. But stay focused on the problem, the pissing you off is a distraction.

Since when do we need "help" raising kids??? Sure as hell didn't need "help" making them!!!!
    Having been raised in an orphange 98% of my life between birth and age 18 I can tell you that old man West didn't need any help kicking my ass!!!! It was either the orphange or juvenile hall, pick one. I tried that (juvy) on several occassions and found I preferred the orphanage. If his old man won't stand behind the required attitude adjustments then send his sorry ass to live there full time!! MY way or the highway....
    Either you run the ship or he does.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast