Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 Magnum Rifle - What are my choices?

44 Magnum Rifle - What are my choices?

Subscribe to Remove Post Ads (Also enjoy site upgrades, unlimited photo storage, 1,000 private messages, and more!)
    I have developed an interest in the 44 Magnum caliber. I have a revolver and now I'm wanting a rifle. I already have the reloading set up for this caliber and components are reasonable (I've been using lead at lower velocities). Straight walled cases are a little easier to load than bottlenecks too! I would like to put a scope on it for hunting deer or hogs. At any rate, all I can find for factory rifles are the Marlin lever, Henry lever, Ruger 77/44, and Rugers semi automatic model. Anyone have any input on these rifles or other options?

Lifetime Member
    Shootist
    Classified Feedback: 85 WNC Seabee's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I absolutely love my Marlin 1894 in .44Mag. took 2 deer with it last year with hand loads.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies.- C.S. Lewis

I think Uberti makes a pump action 44 mag, cowboy style.
    H&R/NEF makes a single shot also.

I had a Ruger 77/44 in my hands the other day, the action smooth as butter! and with the 1x4 Burris scope on it talk about SWEET!!
    2 Thessalonians 3:10
    For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

when injustice becomes law rebellion becomes duty

A T/C also H&R single shot firearms.

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-deta...adcrumbseries=

this immediately came to my mind..
    Yes, my avatar is saying "WTF".

Folks who exercise integrity and principles only when it's convenient or expedient prove they possess neither. -wsfiredude

Stupidity and hydrogen, the two most common elements in the universe.

* All firearms are always loaded. * Point firearms only at what you intend to shoot/destroy/kill. * Finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot * Be sure of your target and what is behind it *

The pistol caliber rifles aren’t popular enough to have a large variety but the ones available are not bad. Most people that have them are very fond of them. I have Marlins in 357 and 44 which I don’t ever see being for sale.
    you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death - Waters, Gilmore, Wright and Mason

Peace, Love & Hot Brass (Thanks Booger)

Yep. The Marlin 94 in 44 mag. I've had mine for almost 20 years. Accurate, reliable and fun to shoot........... Dave
    Rest In Peace Kevin. 1/22/2014

Cva has recently released one and i only know because we suppressed it and man was that thing FUN. Walked them in to a groundhog about 400 yards away and gave him serious cause for alarm.
    If you can find a 788 in 44 you could have it in a bolt rifle, but then i might steal it.

IMO you only have one choice. The Winchester 1892. Spend the extra $300 bucks over the Marlin and don't look back.

Name:  82883104Model-92-Case-Hardened-Sporter-MID-534184-l.jpg
Views: 2543
Size:  9.4 KBName:  1892-Trapper-Takedown-MID-534167-l.jpg
Views: 3687
Size:  10.9 KB

Infractions +3
    Bannings +2

The Dude Abides

I'm NOT a .44Mag fan (gimme a .41Mag or .45Colt any day), but you'd be hard pressed to do better than a Marlin 1894. Not as trad as a '92 clone (tho I love my Rossi in .357), but a better/more convenient design (IMO).

Always thought these were cool-

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

Quote Originally Posted by WNC Seabee View Post
    I absolutely love my Marlin 1894 in .44Mag. took 2 deer with it last year with hand loads.
    Just curious Seabee (and others chime in)- what's the max range you'd consider for deer with a .44 mag rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Warning Shot View Post
    Just curious Seabee (and others chime in)- what's the max range you'd consider for deer with a .44 mag rifle?
    This is just my opinion Warning Shot. I, myself, would not attempt to take a deer with my 1894 .44 past 100 yds. I just wouldn't want to risk hitting the animal in the wrong spot and not putting it down. Someone else may disagree, but that is my preference. Past 100, I'd use something flatter shooting............ Dave

100-150 yds would be about as far as I would consider it being adequate. I'll give another vote to the Marlin 1894, just make sure to find one made in CT and not NY.
    It makes no difference what men think of war... War endures. As well ask what men think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him.

I've got a Marlin 1894 in 44mag, goes very well with my Redhawk. I'm very impressed with that little carbine. Its a real thumper with full power loads, and a pussycat with .44specials. Its flawlessly fired all my hanloads so far.

Lifetime Member
    Shootist
    Classified Feedback: 85 WNC Seabee's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    With my rifle and my pet load, I'd be comfy out to 125yds. That's a slightly less than full charge of H110 under a 240gr XTP. Anything further and I've got rifles better suited to the task.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies.- C.S. Lewis

10-4. That's what I was thinking too guys. I have an opportunity to hunt in thick stuff (5 year old cutover) next season and I'm weighing options.

10-4. That's what I was thinking too guys. I have an opportunity to hunt in thick stuff (5 year old cutover) next season and I'm weighing options.
    30-30 is the way to go there WS......... Dave

I had a Ruger M77/44 and it was a beautiful walnut stocked and deep blued steel little rifle. It was the most inaccurate rifle I've ever owned. Eight inch groups at 100 yards from a bench rest...scoped. Some of them folks say are accurate enough. Some folks seem to have inaccurate ones like the one I had.

My Winchester 94 Wrangler (16.5" barrel) with receiver sight was much more accurate than the scoped Ruger. I moved the Ruger on and still have the Winchester...love it.

C&L

In spite of a bad knee, busted ankles, too many years and a slowed reaction time, I'm just as fast and dangerous as I ever was.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Staff - Purveyor of Kydex Shootist Classified Feedback: 148 rantingredneck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    See, I messed up and bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44. I had my levergun SA combos all worked out in .357 and .45 Colt. Now I gotta buy another levergun............dangit...........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast