Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medical Question: Any Guns in the Home?

Medical Question: Any Guns in the Home?

Subscribe to Remove Post Ads (Also enjoy site upgrades, unlimited photo storage, 1,000 private messages, and more!)
    My girlfriend recently went to a new doctor. She was filling out forms including the medical history form, and one of the questions was, "Are there any guns in the home?"

Why would a doctor need to know if someone has guns in their house? I am baffled by why doctors feel they need to know this.

Thanks for any insight.

The doctor doesn't need to know. If I am not mistaken, there have even been recent court rulings forcing doctors to remove the question from their forms. Besides, they can ask what they want, it doesn't mean you have to fill it out.

Yep, just dont answer it. Hell, my doctor loves guns, and calls me every now and again to go shoot. :25:
    Prepare for the worst, or prepare to fail for the lack of preparation.

Lifetime Member Pistoleer lufbro's Avatar
    just put none of your business on that line

Quote Originally Posted by lufbro View Post
    :thumbup:
    The future has not been written. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Polycoat View Post
    My girlfriend recently went to a new doctor. She was filling out forms including the medical history form, and one of the questions was, "Are there any guns in the home?"

Why would a doctor need to know if someone has guns in their house? I am baffled by why doctors feel they need to know this.

Thanks for any insight.
    It's not the doctor that wants to know...

Quote Originally Posted by lufbro View Post
    Too late. She already answered 'yes'. I am wishing that she didn't, but ya can't cry over spilled milk.

I did a little googling. Apparently it was the AMA in 1999 which encouraged (or mandated? -- not sure yet) asking this question during exams.

Putting down none of your business is the same as saying yes. Just put down no and move to the next question.

It has to do with judging whether to or not remove weapons from a person suffering with their mental capacity; just a standard question for doctor.

It may depend on the type of Dr. as to whether this is a pertinent question or not.

That being said, I presume this was simply a family physician and I would not be answering that question.

Not Subscribed New Member
    As someone in the medical field and works with individuals responsible for taking a complete history from patients the questions asked does have a meaningful reason. When asking patients and getting a full history you will be surprised to what you think is minor in a history is the primary reason for a major disease.
    As shooters we are subject to a wide range of chemicals during shooting and cleaning. The question is asked to look at from an exposure issue and safety issues as doctors are being pressed more and more to give out prevention advice to prevent certain accidents and diseases.

Additionally HIPAA prevents a doctor from releasing patient information unless it relates to Treatment, Payment or Healthcare Operation. Even in the event of you marking yes on the form individual information can only be used on you if you are directly were identified. The law currently prevents anyone from coming in and asking for a list of gun owners.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...ec-UNp_yWxDPgA

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlet View Post
    As shooters we are subject to a wide range of chemicals during shooting and cleaning. The question is asked to look at from an exposure issue and safety issues as doctors are being pressed more and more to give out prevention advice to prevent certain accidents and diseases.

Additionally HIPAA prevents a doctor from releasing patient information unless it relates to Treatment, Payment or Healthcare Operation. Even in the event of you marking yes on the form individual information can only be used on you if you are directly were identified. The law currently prevents anyone from coming in and asking for a list of gun owners.

Riiiiiiiggggghhhhhttt.

Bleating sheep will buy that...

A citizen will not.
    "I never saw such fighting since God made me. The Americans fought like demons."

Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis
    The Battle of Guilford Courthouse, March 1781.

And David reached his hand into the bag, and took thence a stone, and slung it, and smote the Philistine in his forehead; and the giant fell upon his face to the earth.

Yeah, and our constitution limits the Gov. Lol
    The future has not been written. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.

As shooters we are subject to a wide range of chemicals during shooting and cleaning.
    Except that the question is whether there are guns in the home, not whether you often fire or clean guns. The one does not imply the other. Doctors are asking children this question, too, about their parents guns. It's not about health.
    Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.

--Gandalf

As someone in the medical field and works with individuals responsible for taking a complete history from patients the questions asked does have a meaningful reason. When asking patients and getting a full history you will be surprised to what you think is minor in a history is the primary reason for a major disease.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...ec-UNp_yWxDPgA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OWL...eature=related
    A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read.

If the question was a concern to me I would call the doctor out and let the doctor explain to me the purpose of the question and if you don't agree, don't answer the question. This is still America and although I do respect the law and those charged with authority I will always ask that person the question first rather than second guess any person's motive. The day I feel I can't ask without harm is the day I will pack my bags and move; don't ever let those in charge leave you guessing; that's the job of the major news networks:-).

Hall of Shame Gunslinger
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Duster View Post
    It has to do with judging whether to or not remove weapons from a person suffering with their mental capacity; just a standard question for doctor.
    Not so, as recent court cases have proven that even without a "psycho" in the home some doctor's became preachy and allowed for the boogeyman stance of "You know, you shouldn't have them in your home if you have children", etc, etc, etc...

Skip over it and if it bothers one that much find another doctor.

When asking patients and getting a full history you will be surprised to what you think is minor in a history is the primary reason for a major disease.

As shooters we are subject to a wide range of chemicals during shooting and cleaning.
    Do you ask the age of the dwelling the patient lives in, works in, and plays in..??..you certainly need to know that to find out if the patient is exposed to lead paint or asbestos....

Is there a microwave in those properties..??..

Does the patient use a cellphone..??..

Is the patient into photography..??..

What kind of cleaning products do you use..??..

Is there a gas heater in the property..??...

Are there exhaust fans in the bathroom..??...

Do you use fertilizer on your plants..??...

Do you burn kerosene lamps..??..

Are your dishes from China..??..

Here's a great one, Do you have any government mandated CFL bulbs in your home or workplace..??..

There must be at least 4753 more important questions that a physician should ask to determine what could be the primary reason for an illness...no matter how minor they seem....

My wife said the pediatrician asked this question last week when examining my daughter. I would have said, "none I'm telling you about" or something similar, but my wife said "yes." So then the pediatrician went into the schpiel that they should be locked up, etc, to which my replied that they are all secured from the children.

I was a little annoyed at the question. It seems pediatricians in particular have overstepped looking simply into the physical health of children, and more into overall welfare. She was also asking my wife about the kid's obedience and discipline methods - not in an accusatory way, but rather part of the standard questions they discuss. The way its going, soon it'll be like having an interview with a social worker.

Well, my doctor suggests I stop eating so much food and cut out the pipe and cigar smoking. Oh, he suggests it, but I sure as hell don't do it.

-Andrew

My Dr has never asked, unless it revolved around my bit of hearing loss and shooting. He told me to use ear pro. I told him I do, now.
    Check out my leather/kydex holsters here.

http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/...rid-beltslides

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast