Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange things you have found/seen in the woods of NC/SC.

Strange things you have found/seen in the woods of NC/SC.

Subscribe to Remove Post Ads (Also enjoy site upgrades, unlimited photo storage, 1,000 private messages, and more!)
    Just thought it would be a fun thread. Of the stuff I have seen with my own eyes I found a house in the woods once when I was young that was near a pond. It had no road,walkway,or any way to get to it. All the trees were older hardwoods so Im sure that the trees had been there for quite some time. Now it was a old house so I wondered if maybe they got to it by horse but I can tell you no way to get a car/truck to it.

Strange things coon hunting in SC low country swamps near old grave yards Randy

Lifetime Member
    Shootist
    Classified Feedback: 92 WNC Seabee's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    An old "gangster" style 1920's era car in the middle of nowhere, maybe 3 miles from the closest road, logging road, train track, old grade....Definitely rusted and rotted, but essentially intact and sitting there like it had been parked.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies.- C.S. Lewis

Lifetime Member
    Shootist
    Classified Feedback: 92 WNC Seabee's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh...and I caught some dude having a "private moment" once when I was fishing.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies.- C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by WNC Seabee View Post
    An old "gangster" style 1920's era car in the middle of nowhere, maybe 3 miles from the closest road, logging road, train track, old grade....Definitely rusted and rotted, but essentially intact and sitting there like it had been parked.
    No wonder I didn't see anything in that patch of woods last year...you were hunting in my spot!!!

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

A small investment of your time in skill development and maintenance, professional development as well as attention to your weapons and equipment will pay off when the fecal material meets the wind pusher.
    What in the heck is my avatar?

When I was in Boy Scouts we had a camping weekend in the woods behind Taylor Warehouse in Winston-Salem. Our Scout Master came and took a few of us to where trees in a circle had been bent over with the tops toward the middle of the circle. The circle was probably 75'-100' in diameter.

These were mainly cedars and pine trees. Some were six inches or so around. There was no wind damage to any of them. Never seen anything like it before or since.

Alan

A wandering homeless guy running, dancing and flapping his arms in the air like a bird. I was on a section of land just a mile or two as the crow flies from the I-95 corridor. He made me more than a little nervous. I knew my morning was shot, but I stayed in the tree and held the high ground until he was out of viewing distance.

All the trees were older hardwoods so Im sure that the trees had been there for quite some time. Now it was a old house so I wondered if maybe they got to it by horse but I can tell you no way to get a car/truck to it.
    I've seen more than a few in my area like that. 10 out of 10 times they were near a field or what was once a field. They were usually sharecropper homes. They didn't need to be near anything except the field they tended.

Oh...and I caught some dude having a "private moment" once when I was fishing.
    I found a privacy lean-too much like the old car pic above once littered with...uh, magazine articles without words. I never hunted that area again and I lit out before someone came out yelling "squeeeeeeal boy!"

Saw a young couple in the throws of passion on the creek bank one evening on stand.
    Just so happened it was squirrel season, and I needed to see if the 308 was still zeroed.

It was, and you talk about a** holes & elbows! Never seen to half dressed kids get on an ATV and vacate the area so quickly.

Has anyone else found Shermans neckties (railroad rails bent around trees) from the war of southern independance. and in the swamps of the low country a big cat which is supposed to be extinct (swamp panther) Randy

Not Subscribed

When I was 11 or 12 and squirrel hunting I came across an active liquor still in a dry creek bed. There was no one around but it was active with a fire. It scared me so I ran hom and got my dad. By the time we got back to where it was, it had been broken down and there was only a wooden barrel left. We took it home and you could smell the mash in it for years. I imagine ol' Clem saw me coming and when I ran away he figured he better move it in case I called the revenuers.
    I treat my lawnmower better than I treat my 1911.

Not in the Carolina but in Orlando... I was probably 10 or 12 years old, back in the woods behind a neighborhood where one of my Mom's friends lived. Came across about a 8ft deep dried out creek bed, the sides were shored up with 4x4 concrete posts. At the bottom were old glass Clorox jars that said it was unlawful to refill them. To this day I believe it was a prohibition era still.

The concrete footprint of a recent still with piped in spring water. Naked guys, I never seem to run across the women. Lot's of old homes and cemeteries in the smokies. I've found old narrow gauge railroads wrapped up in trees from floods. Lots of arrowheads in SC. The Thomas Divide lights near Cherokee. A type of lightning buy in Slickrock Wilderness that stays lit for a couple minutes. I've watched a snake catch a trout, a trout catch a snake, and an Osprey catch a trout.
    Check out my leather/kydex holsters here.

http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/...rid-beltslides

There's an old single-room house in the woods near the border of my family's land, with a graveyard beside it. It's pretty grown up in trees and brush, but some of the markers are just old flat rocks stuck on end in the ground, others are inscribed and date back to the early 1900's. Growing up in Wilkes county, it was pretty common to run up on stills and pot plants hidden in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by vaskeet View Post
    Has anyone else found Shermans neckties (railroad rails bent around trees) from the war of southern independance. and in the swamps of the low country a big cat which is supposed to be extinct (swamp panther) Randy
    Not seen any of the criminal sherman's neckties from the War of Northern Aggression around here. But have seen a Cougar up close and to personnel a few years back here close to the beach.

mountain lion/cougar/catamount, whatever in WNC near VA.
    might have been this one: http://www.middletownpress.com/artic...mode=fullstory
    The road to Hell is paved.

There is a cobblestone roadway in the middle of Duke Forest. It is nowhere near a currently paved road.
    "The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." - William Blake

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.” C.S Lewis

Old narrow gauge steam locomotive sitting in the middle of a tremendous swamp near the Roanoke River- used for logging long ago.

Found an abandoned still many years ago near Wendell when I was rabbit hunting. Found the outer metal rim of a wagon wheel with a tree grown up through it while hiking.
    AKA Lew-G17

where i hunt there is a 50's chevy sitting miles from anything else. cant figure out how it got there. really random.

caught a guy stealing my trail cam last week. bad day for him.

found a whole bunch of copper pipes. big ones. scrapped them. cant figure out how they got there either.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast